Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 2003 Honda Accord LX

Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with my factory OEM radio and I just can't quite figure out what's going on and I figured someone here can help me pinpoint the issue.

Previously, my wife's car battery had died. It was during a period of travel/holiday and so we put off replacing the battery for about a week. I replaced the battery with no issues but one problem occurred. The radio suddenly did not work. The CD player works just fine until this day. The FM radio has absolutely no sound coming from it on any station. The AM radio stations all have a continuous ticking noise coming from the speakers... I'd guess about 2 per second. I'm not car or electrical expert but I do remember having grounding issues in my own cars before and the difference is the ticking would increase/decrease based on the engine RPM. This is not the case here. It is a constant, 2 ticks per second ticking. No sound from the radio stations. When I attempt to set the clock, I do hear the confirmation beep. The display is working perfectly fine. I've run the radio diagnostics and all 3 (DSP, EEP, TNR) all say "Ok". The CD player works fine. I've also tried unplugging the battery cables in case that had something to do with it and I also checked the fuses and all were good. I also removed and readded the fuses.

Clearly this is frustrating as my wife is getting tired of her CD's (who wouldn't be!) and I'm no expert. Is there anything else I can try before having to pay someone to figure it out for me? Anyone else ever had this issue?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Had an 04' LX that my radio did the same exact thing, turned out the radio crapped out...

To replace the factory radio will cost an arm and a leg, best bet is to buy an aftermarket radio for the lower storage pocket area and just leave the factory radio in place. The harness that comes with the install kit should allow you to still view the time on your old radio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had an 04' LX that my radio did the same exact thing, turned out the radio crapped out...

To replace the factory radio will cost an arm and a leg, best bet is to buy an aftermarket radio for the lower storage pocket area and just leave the factory radio in place. The harness that comes with the install kit should allow you to still view the time on your old radio.
Ah okay. Thanks for the reply. I didn't get notification that it was replied to or else i would've replied myself earlier.

I can't believe the system just dies like that. Everything "seems" okay especially with the self-diagnostic saying so, but I know there's no amp in this car and the speakers are working fine because the CD player is working... It's frustrating how the entire radio setup is tied together with the ac system and such.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
7th generation head units were a nightmare. I had to buy two in the ten years I owned my '03.

The first time the unit would turn on when it wanted to and would drain my battery if the car was parked.

The second one I had to buy, it was the CD went out and before it did it managed to damage some nearly priceless CDs.

I learned a lot from that experience, but mainly I'm just glad that the 9th generation has USB and Bluetooth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts