Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2021 Accord Touring, around 14k miles, and today there is about 1" of slushy snow.

On the way back into my neighborhood where there is a small incline the car just stopped dead in its tracks and started flashing the TCS icon on the dashboard. would only move a few inches , if that.

I turned the car off and back on, disabled the TCS and tried again, same issue. It struggled so hard to do anything. Finally, with the TCS disabled, and a lot of stuggling i was able to inch up the hill. At this point I smelled some slight rubber scent as if I was likely spinning a wheel pretty good somewhere.

I maneuvered down the road (seemed to be driving fine at this point) to my driveway that is about a 20 foot long driveway, tiny incline up to the garage. Same issue, couldn't make it. I put the car in park and it decided to roll the entire way off the driveway, even with the brakes 100% applied and/or pumped. I shoveled out some tracks and salted it down and finally made it into the garage.

I sure as hell hope this isn't normal? I called the dealership i bought it from and they are going to have me come in so they can diagnose. Is there anything specific I should be hoping they find or any questions i should be asking if they DON'T find anything?

Hoping someone with some prior experience can be of help.

Thank you, and happy holidays!

· Turbo lag
3,015 Posts
30 degrees is not a small incline. It just sounds like you didn't have any momentum to get up the hill and the traction situation wasn't great.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
30 degrees is not a small incline. It just sounds like you didn't have any momentum to get up the hill and the traction situation wasn't great.
I just kinda ballparked the incline in my imagination it may be less than 30 degrees. It's certainly not anything any car should be having trouble with. and while i might agree with you in a one off scenario. it happened again on my tiny little driveway and then it rolled off the driveway while in park?

It can't just be a no momentum bad traction situation. I hope.

· Turbo lag
3,015 Posts
I mean, did it slip off? ie the wheels weren't moving. Or did it actually roll off? ie all the wheels were all moving?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean, did it slip off? ie the wheels weren't moving. Or did it actually roll off? ie all the wheels were all moving?
it was in park, brakes 100% applied, rolled backwards off the driveway.

edit* I see what you're asking...I don't know if it slipped or rolled. good question, I am not sure in the moment i was just trying to get it to stop.

· Registered
1,583 Posts
I have a 2021 Accord Touring, around 14k miles, and today there is about 1" of slushy snow.

On the way back into my neighborhood where there is a small incline the car just stopped dead in its tracks and started flashing the TCS icon on the dashboard. would only move a few inches , if that.

I turned the car off and back on, disabled the TCS and tried again, same issue. It struggled so hard to do anything. Finally, with the TCS disabled, and a lot of stuggling i was able to inch up the hill. At this point I smelled some slight rubber scent as if I was likely spinning a wheel pretty good somewhere.

I maneuvered down the road (seemed to be driving fine at this point) to my driveway that is about a 20 foot long driveway, tiny incline up to the garage. Same issue, couldn't make it. I put the car in park and it decided to roll the entire way off the driveway, even with the brakes 100% applied and/or pumped. I shoveled out some tracks and salted it down and finally made it into the garage.

I sure as hell hope this isn't normal? I called the dealership i bought it from and they are going to have me come in so they can diagnose. Is there anything specific I should be hoping they find or any questions i should be asking if they DON'T find anything?

Hoping someone with some prior experience can be of help.

Thank you, and happy holidays!
I'll say this- odds are your 2021 Accord Touring came with 19" Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. Those are completely useless in pretty much any kind of snow. I drove my Accord (with those tires in that size) once through very light snow and immediately realized that I needed a set of more snow-friendly tires for winter.

Those 19" wheels and tires are gorgeous to look at- but the tires that Honda uses for them are not suitable for any kind of snow other that maybe a slight dusting- especially as those tires start to wear.

There are quite a few different threads within this sub-forum that talk about suitable alternatives. I bought a set of 17" OEM wheels online for pretty cheap and put a set of Michelin CrossClimate2 tires on them- and they performed much, much better in the winter. In spring/summer/fall I put the OEM 19" wheels and tires back on.

If you have those Michelin MXM4 tires on your Accord- that's likely your main problem.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was in park, brakes 100% applied, rolled backwards off the driveway.
I'll say this- odds are your 2021 Accord Touring came with 19" Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. Those are completely useless in pretty much any kind of snow. I drove my Accord (with those tires in that size) once through very light snow and immediately realized that I needed a set of more snow-friendly tires for winter.

Those 19" wheels and tires are gorgeous to look at- but the tires that Honda uses for them are not suitable for any kind of snow other that maybe a slight dusting- especially as those tires start to wear.

There are quite a few different threads within this sub-forum that talk about suitable alternatives. I bought a set of 17" OEM wheels online for pretty cheap and put a set of Michelin CrossClimate2 tires on them- and they performed much, much better in the winter. In spring/summer/fall I put the OEM 19" wheels and tires back on.

If you have those Michelin MXM4 tires on your Accord- that's likely your main problem.
very interesting information, thank you!

· Polished Metal Metallica
1,549 Posts
As @RCarlL points out, tires play a large role in starting traction. If you're in a location that gets significant snowfall, a set of tires rated with the severe service emblem (the three-peak-mountain-snowflake symbol) are necessary. If you're in a location that gets only mild winters, then a better set of all-seasons than the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires that Honda ships with the vehicle will stand you in good stead.

On my Accord (with 18" rims), I run Nokian WR G4 tires. When faced with a snow-covered incline, I'll also shift into second gear to start - it cuts torque, limiting wheel spin. If it's steep enough, I'll also cut the TCS system out of the loop temporarily, and then re-enable once I've ascended the hill. But I can't understate the importance of good tires - with my FWD coupe and good tires, I've zipped up snowy hills that SUVs on all season (no season) tires were struggling to get up.

· Registered
614 Posts
If you had the brakes 100% on it slid down the driveway. No traction with those tires and a very light engine over the front tires..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts