Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 04 accord sedan 4cyl AT and the AC start acting up. Start to drive for about 15 min and the AC will not working (compressor off) only blow hot air, after 5 min AC working again. Have a friend work as mechanic to check out he hook up the AC gauge and said all the pressure look good. He think it's a power transistor unit is bad, bought a new one and replace it but still have the same problem. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Probably the AC relay gone bad, in which case, it's a cheap fix. Remove the lid from the under-hood fuse box which sits near the front driver's side strut. See diagram on lid and it's the relay with the snowflake pictured. It's the same as the green radiator fan relay which sits right to the left of it and you can swap them around to test. This means your fan will stop working so don't overheat your car, LOL. The relay should be about ten to twenty bucks at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for your inputs. I replaced a transistor power and it is not fix, will have to look into AC relay that you mentioned. If the AC relay is bad, would the second fan will not run when the AC stop working right? The problem I have is the AC ran fine then it stop working and start working again.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
thank you for your inputs. I replaced a transistor power and it is not fix, will have to look into AC relay that you mentioned. If the AC relay is bad, would the second fan will not run when the AC stop working right? The problem I have is the AC ran fine then it stop working and start working again.
That does sound like the relay. It controls the compressor. I had the same issue and when I swapped it with the identical fan relay, the fan began working intermittently and AC was now working all the time. That's how I knew it was bad. Can't tell you how many months I sweated not knowing that it was a stupid 10 dollar fix. Like anything, start with the cheapest solution first. Now, go swap them around!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you again for all your inputs. The AC working fine last few days so will not attempt trying to fix it. Probably will replace the AC relay for $20 when it acting up again. Will update this post when and if I get it fix so hopefully can help other members with the same problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I replaced the relay today and it's not it. The AC ran fine for the first 15 min or so then it only blowing warm air for couple minutes then cold air back again. Was able to catch it when it blowing warm air, 2nd fan running but the AC clutch doesn't engage. So far replaced transistor power and AC relay but no luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.