Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've seen a lot of posts on debadging and while for the most part this seems like a relatively easy process, I've seen many posters comment their paint was scratched or the outline of the badge was leftover after removal. This deters from wanting to do it myself. When it comes to issues involving paint, I'd really rather pay out of pocket and leave this process to a professional. I'm not interested in damaging anything on a car that's less than 2 months old...

Does anyone know of any body shops that do this sort of thing? I didn't get much out of a google search. I'm thinking this is probably the type of thing I would need to call a few places to see if someone does it. But I'd really like to deal with someone that has a good reputation, if anyone has any experience. I'm in the greater Philadelphia, PA area.

Let me know :)

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
I'm sure any body shop (maybe ask your dealer who they use) would be able to do it since they surely remove the badges when they repaint a car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
fishing line, hair dryer, goo gone. will generally do the trick without any issues. no need to bring to anyone, you can do it yourself

·
Banned
96 Posts
paying someone for this is insane... it will take you about 8 min and because your car is relatively new you wont have any difference in paint underneath the badge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fishing line, hair dryer, goo gone. will generally do the trick without any issues. no need to bring to anyone, you can do it yourself
Gilbo, my car/color configuration is the same as yours. Do you have any pics of your car after it was debadged?

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Use tooth floss or fishing line to debadge.
Goo be Gone for the adhesive.

Don't pay for this bro. You would scratch your paint unless you are using metal or your nails.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Use a hair dryer, soften up than adhesive really good. Fishing line should slice through like butter.

I didn't use a hair dryer which was my downfall.

No need to bring it to anyone unless you are really than scared or incompetent.

I was the one that scratched my trunk a tiny bit, but I got the scratches out thanks to 'glen e' who suggested that I use Meguire's Scratch-X.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all,

I've seen a lot of posts on debadging and while for the most part this seems like a relatively easy process, I've seen many posters comment their paint was scratched or the outline of the badge was leftover after removal. This deters from wanting to do it myself. When it comes to issues involving paint, I'd really rather pay out of pocket and leave this process to a professional. I'm not interested in damaging anything on a car that's less than 2 months old...

Does anyone know of any body shops that do this sort of thing? I didn't get much out of a google search. I'm thinking this is probably the type of thing I would need to call a few places to see if someone does it. But I'd really like to deal with someone that has a good reputation, if anyone has any experience. I'm in the greater Philadelphia, PA area.

Let me know :)
Hi. Just curious. Why would you want to do this? Are you putting on custom decals?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just went out to my Accord and took the "accord" badge off the trunk. A piece of fishing line and 15 seconds later it was off. I then used my finger to "roll" the remaining adhesive off and a quick touch of goof off and I was done. Total time spent, maybe 30-45 seconds and not a scratch. I did not use a blowdryer or heat gun, the trunk was already facing into the sun so it was already warm. The fishing line pulled through easier than cutting a piece of cheese.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Hi. Just curious. Why would you want to do this? Are you putting on custom decals?
Me too. To me debadged car = my car was in an accident and the body shop forgot to but the emblems back on.

Jay

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
because plastic badges look like crap long term
You mean like 8-10 years later when the rest of the car looks like crap, too?

Jay

·
Registered
33 Posts
Honda's SOP for Emblem Removable

Product Update: Tailgate Emblem Installed in Wrong Location PDF Below Atteched

I found this TSB from Honda where they cover removing an emblem from an Odyssey. I am sure it is the same for Accords and it is nice to see the "Honda way" of removing the emblem. BTW I would love to find out the back story on this TSB someone missed up big time on this little detail in the factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It's so easy, even a DAer could do it...

I've been doing it for decades, I don't use the string method but I recommend it for those that are not sure of them self's using my technique (Plastic Scraper).

Some pics of a few of the emblems I've removed and stuck to my garage doors (Wife Hates them) I used to throw them away, wish I would of saved all of them.

This (2013) is my 4th V6 Accord, I painted (PD) the one from my 2013 RED, the Red on Chrome one is factory, signifying a Manual tranny on board.

"DO IT YOURSELF"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys,

I decided to take your advice, and give this a try on my own. This was my first DIY project on any car, and I was really hesitant to do anything that might compromise the integrity of the paint on nearly brand new car.

I followed the instructions exactly as described in the video below, and used all the same products too. Thanks to lostkause for posting this, it was very helpful. And thanks to the rest of you for the words of encouragement! It was shockingly easy, and I was done within an hour! My car is only 3 months old, so the glue on the emblems was still very soft and easy to remove.

There is zero outline/ghosting, zero scratches, zero leftover residue, and the paint looks perfect and uniform on the entire trunk! I removed the Accord badge, V6 badge, and a dealer installed emblem - leaving only the H, which I wanted to keep (and I believe it has pins anyway)

I will post some follow up pictures later today or tomorrow after I've washed the car to show the results. Very satisified!! Anyone wanting to try this should have no anxiety doing so, especially if it's a newer car. Give it a try!

The debadging process is quite simple. Should not take more than 15 min tops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u5r5D946tc

·
Retired G-Man
776 Posts
The glued on badges usually come off easier on a brand new car versus a car that is several months/years old. I was able to take off the Accord emblem as soon as I brought it home using only my finger nails and removing very slowly. I didn't need anything else including wax or polish; all the glue came off with the emblem.

If that doesn't work, use dental floss or fishing line. If that doesn't do the job, use a hair dryer and dental floss or fishing line. GooGone may or may not be needed, based on how easy the glue comes off.

Note that we are only talking about removing glued badges. The large H on the trunk is held on with screws and involves 2 holes.

·
Registered
417 Posts
No one told you but DONT FORGET TO WAX THAT ARE. If you used Goo Gone or anything like that, those products usually remove wax, so wax the are after.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts