Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of regret not buying navi when I bought my car (13 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan) is it possible to go to the dealers, pay some $$$ and have them program navi in my car?

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
I kind of regret not buying navi when I bought my car (13 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan) is it possible to go to the dealers, pay some $$$ and have them program navi in my car?
yipes!!!

that sounds $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

It would be interesting to find out though.

why not buy a garmin or something for few hundred bucks unless you want the voice command controls the navi provides.

Miker

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yipes!!!

that sounds $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

It would be interesting to find out though.

why not buy a garmin or something for few hundred bucks unless you want the voice command controls the navi provides.

Miker
If I was to buy a garmin, where would I put it? I already have 2 screens lol I got the EX-L

·
Registered
77 Posts
There are physical differences in the controls on the dash.

Maybe get a list of each and every thing that is different and search for a wrecked car and purchase everything?

Either way.....sounds expensive.

When I bought my EX-L V6....I purposely declined NAV.....because of the expense....and the fact that technology changes so fast....and I doubted that an in-car system would be upgradeable in that respect.

Nonetheless....it's an interesting question. I've looked into adding paddle-shifters to my car.....and it's the same thing there.....nobody seems to have the information as to exactly what it would involve.

Seems that if such a thing was possible at a reasonable cost.....that there would be an enterprising dealer someplace who would post on forums like this with a "kit price" for the parts required.....

Chuck

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
don't know what to search on but I have seen some here place it on the ledge of the IMID display and you don't lose view of the IMID screen. ive also seen someone clip it too the left hand dash vent. there you lose the vent slightly but, hey watcha gonna do!

Also seen a clip that mounts to the mirror arm but now you have to dress the wires.

I knowif youre like me you want a clean install.

Miker

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If I was to buy a garmin, where would I put it? I already have 2 screens lol I got the EX-L
I wondered about placement for a Garmin in the EX-L also. It's one of the reasons I went for the built in navigation. I have a 4.3" wide Garmin and I found I could mount it with a suction mount to the extreme right side of the flat area in front of the i-Mid without obstructing the view of the i-Mid. I don't use it, (wife would kill me after spending $1500-2000 on the Nav.), but I did mount it there to see if my speedometer was accurate, and for future reference in case the built-in unit craps out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wondered about placement for a Garmin in the EX-L also. It's one of the reasons I went for the built in navigation. I have a 4.3" wide Garmin and I found I could mount it with a suction mount to the extreme right side of the flat area in front of the i-Mid without obstructing the view of the i-Mid. I don't use it, (wife would kill me after spending $1500-2000 on the Nav.), but I did mount it there to see if my speedometer was accurate, and for future reference in case the built-in unit craps out.
Dumb question: what is "I-mid"? Lol sorry and so is the garmin worth getting?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Dumb question: what is "I-mid"? Lol sorry and so is the garmin worth getting?
Intelligent multi-information display, the top large screen in the center.

I would never be without GPS, so, yes, if I didn't have the built-in I would have my Garmin in the car. In fact, I brought it with me as a spare when we went on vacation. Don't want to be without GPS in truly strange territory. And, if I had it to do over, knowing what I now know about the built in unit, I wouldn't have bought it. My Garmin is more user friendly, has more of the features I want than the built-in, costs a lot less, is more updateable, and can be programmed, by me or my passenger, while driving. Advantage to the built-in for a bigger screen and no wires hanging loose.

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
I knew it was someone in the 9gen forum that did this. Thanks hondaBob.
the 2000.00 did not thrill me either. mostly drive locally only anyway so a portable gps will do if I need one.

Miker

·
Registered
408 Posts
There are physical differences in the controls on the dash.

Maybe get a list of each and every thing that is different and search for a wrecked car and purchase everything?

Either way.....sounds expensive.

When I bought my EX-L V6....I purposely declined NAV.....because of the expense....and the fact that technology changes so fast....and I doubted that an in-car system would be upgradeable in that respect.

Nonetheless....it's an interesting question. I've looked into adding paddle-shifters to my car.....and it's the same thing there.....nobody seems to have the information as to exactly what it would involve.

Seems that if such a thing was possible at a reasonable cost.....that there would be an enterprising dealer someplace who would post on forums like this with a "kit price" for the parts required.....

Chuck
+1 on the paddle shifters!! (The ASEAN/Aussie Accords get them, I should be able to have that added to my Touring if I so choose!)

I know that people had retrofitted the OEM NAVI units to the 7th-Gens, and maybe the 8th-Gens, too. (There is also some Chinese aftermarket unit that adds DVD play and other stuff for those cars.) I would think that for ours, a new head unit and the control unit would be all that would be required. (The NAVI unit itself fits in the dash, and I think is an SSD hard drive--that's where you can rip music from the CDs.) I don't know, however, where the GPS antenna goes--IIRC, the 7th-Gens had it under the rear deck next to the DVD player which contained the NAVI disk. :dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts