Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am putting a track rat together using a 2003 accord lx 5mt with antilock brakes. Starting on the suspension and brake upgrades, but doing it on the cheap. Looking at installing all the following:

Front end kit:

Coilovers:

Front hubs:

Fastbrakes RL -> Accord caliper adapter:

Maxima front rotors:

Acura RL Calipers:

First question, will I be able to retain ABS with the RL calipers?

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
377 Posts
There are several people hear running RL calipers. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't keep ABS, the RL caliper volume isn't too much bigger than the stock calipers, it would probably manage alright. Everything else looks ok, although I'd make sure those calipers are the calipers for the Maxima with Brembo brakes, not a standard Maxima.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, cancelled the order and got these instead
Brembo Rotors:
brembostoreusa.com/product/disc-brake-rotor/09B53011

The goal is to really drive this thing long and hard.... so what are people doing to upgrade the rear brakes?

·
ziptie princess
1,732 Posts
well, at least the project name is accurate.

have you considered not buying the cheapest coilovers possible?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks, cancelled the order and got these instead
Brembo Rotors:
brembostoreusa.com/product/disc-brake-rotor/09B53011

The goal is to really drive this thing long and hard.... so what are people doing to upgrade the rear brakes?
Honda Accord Hybrid (2005-2007) rear caliper brackets will let you install 280 mm rear rotors, and the same website that you got the RL adapters for also sells Pilot brake adapters that let you put 300 mm Pilot rear brakes on the Accord. Both use the stock rear calipers, just relocated.

As for the struts, those are really questionable, and I have no doubt your car would handle better on the stock struts. Honda installed pretty good suspension in the Accord, just leave it alone until you can afford actually good struts. Installing TL Type-S sway bars (or CL sway bars I think) would be a far better use of your time and money, there's a pinned thread on this forum on how to do so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent advice thank you. I am looking for hybrid rear brakes now. I have drums on the back so i am looking for the full caliper assembly and have EX knuckles in the mail. The RL calipers just showed up and look like a badass pair of stoppers. The front sway bar on mine is MIA so the TL-S sway bar is a perfect suggestion too, thank you!

As for the coilovers, I am only looking to get one full weekend out of them on a track. They wont be used on the road. They are going to bring the car down a couple inches which i think helps with the physics of keeping weight as low as possible and I'll have the added bonus of dialable dampening until they pop.

It's a claim race so if they break toward the end it's even a slight bonus. The factory shocks i have are almost completely rusted out and new OEM are more than the maxspeedingrods.

I'm worried about driver safety first and foremost so id rather have a damper blow its seal than snap.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you can, you could grab the entire rear knuckle assembly off a hybrid, brakes and all. They have aluminum knuckles to save some weight. But you'd have to get different strut bushings and press them into the struts, since the hybrid strut bushings are slightly smaller. Everything else fits fine (keep in mind the hybrid does use different speed sensors on the wheels, so you'd want to keep those too).

If not (hybrids are tricky to find), you can just order the entire hybrid rear caliper assembly off rockauto.

As for the sway bars, a TL-S front sway bar with no rear sway bar will understeer like something else, and probably be handle awfully. Make sure to add a rear sway bar first, the TL bar and brackets should just bolt on to the rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just ordered the rear pilot kit. Had to call fastbrakes as the kit is unlisted. Brian seems like a nice guy, also, he says if you recently ordered from him check your emails.

I'm going to get 2 of these bad boys, rear brembo calipers for a pilot - 08B43711 – Brembo Store USA

and then for the calipers, I'm looking at these - Raybestos FRC11117N Raybestos Element3 Brake Calipers | Summit Racing / Raybestos FRC11118N Raybestos Element3 Brake Calipers | Summit Racing

I know raybestos bushings and bearings are good quality, are their calipers high quality as well? Is there a lighter rear caliper assembly without a parking brake?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So all parts have shown up and i will be running
RL calipers/maxima rotors in Front
Raybestos element 3 stock calipers/honda pilot rotors in rear

I am thinking i will probably want to adjust my brake boost levels and am wondering if anyone is familiar with a variable brake controller for these cars i can use with the factory brake lines and steel braided cables. Do I just get 4 valves and install one on each line?

For brake pads i went with raybestos st43. I hear they have excellent qualities for an endurance race

1 - 10 of 10 Posts