Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had some work done on my fog lights and decided to share it with the world here.

So here is my lifestory...

The fog lights are afermarket from spyder auto. I got them on amazon with 35 W H8 halogens. Ran into some problems as can be seen below;

Heat + Plastic = PROBLEMS :headbash:

I got a pair of LEDS to curb the heat issue...major glare this time; totally off from the focal point.

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continuing...

The next step: fix that glare...solution: Projectors.
I picked up a pair of OEM ford fusion foglights, took them to someone who knows what he's doing and got them retrofited.

Now look at that beam pattern

Yes, I know the output is useless; I'm working on that at the moment.

Attachments

· Premium Member
427 Posts
looks great, im actually putting a set of fusion fogs i had on my civic on my accord in a few weeks, im waiting on my retrofitted headlights to come back too

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The actual retrofit

My fogs were made out of plastic (aftermarket) so the guy decided to sell me a pair or original 8th gen civic fogs (aluminium).

He spent some time cutting, nipping and tucking to get the job done.
He also removed the foreground shield; that's a plus. If someone can educate me on the usefulness of a foreground shield, I'd be eternally grateful.

The empty space was evenly filled with a resin. I have clue what it is except that it's awesome.

So that's that...

More pics to come if I slap in HIDs...they are projectors after all and these LEDs really don't do much for visibility either.

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks great, im actually putting a set of fusion fogs i had on my civic on my accord in a few weeks, im waiting on my retrofitted headlights to come back too
You will love it. Make sure it's angled high and the foreground shield is gone. I need a harder and longer spring for my adjustments so I can raise the output just a bit more...

· Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,286 Posts
:thmsup:

Well played ... White 7.5 gen sedan, best looking girl at the prom ...

· Fear The Turtle!
2,168 Posts
Awesome mod! I've been kicking this around as my next mod.

· I detail my car, a lot.
783 Posts

· I <3 My Honda
3,918 Posts
The fusion fogs are one of the most well-known OEM halogen foglight projectors known to tolerate an HID bulb's output due to their straight cutoff shield and ability to distribute the beam evenly. I love the thought-up creativity in using an 8G Civic's lenses. Very nice mod choice, my friend. :thmsup:

The purpose of a foreground limiter is to increase the driver's distance visibility. The human eye tends to be subconsciously drawn to light that is closer to it than farther away. Imagine walking down a dark, unfamiliar hallway with a flashlight while someone else is pointing a pen light, not at your eye, but close to it. Although you're still able to navigate your way by using the flashlight and illuminating your path, the pen light is constantly going to be distracting your peripheral vision.

By limiting the amount of foreground light closest to the vehicle's front end, your eyes are then able to concentrate on the light output in the distance more easily without the distraction. This is most important in headlamps which are the main lighting source, as opposed to fog lamps, which sole's purpose is to illuminate the sides or lines of the road closest to the vehicle in inclement weather. Being that this mod was done to fog lamps, you should be fine with the foreground limiters removed.

· Premium Member
427 Posts
ive had hids in my fusion fogs since i got them a year or so ago, never had any issues and they have fantastic output.

drivers side is a little off on rotation it was also sitting funny in its bracket at the time

· I <3 My Honda
3,918 Posts
I have fusion vs. blazer HID outputs somewhere *looks under a big stack of papers* Now...if only I can find them in all this mess... lol ;)

ethlar, what projectors are you running in the headlamps? The foreground limiters look a lot like the TL's

EDIT: Found my fusion output which I prefer a lot more over the blazers - the blazers give off more of a smiley face appearance as both sides bow up (see pics below). Second choice below the Fusions would be the Morimoto Matchbox.

Here is what I'm referring to - Photo credit goes to G L I on the VW forums.

Blazer fogs / 3,000K

Blazer fogs / 3,000K with Acura TL Bi-Xenon / 4,300K OEM Philips 85122+ D2S

· Premium Member
427 Posts
The headlights in my pic were modded rx330s they actually have a cutout for "squirrel finders" in the shield to light up road signs

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LEDs

:notworthy (foreground shield)

The fusion fogs are one of the most well-known OEM halogen foglight projectors known to tolerate an HID bulb's output due to their straight cutoff shield and ability to distribute the beam evenly. I love the thought-up creativity in using an 8G Civic's lenses. Very nice mod choice, my friend. :thmsup:

The purpose of a foreground limiter is to increase the driver's distance visibility. The human eye tends to be subconsciously drawn to light that is closer to it than farther away. Imagine walking down a dark, unfamiliar hallway with a flashlight while someone else is pointing a pen light, not at your eye, but close to it. Although you're still able to navigate your way by using the flashlight and illuminating your path, the pen light is constantly going to be distracting your peripheral vision.

By limiting the amount of foreground light closest to the vehicle's front end, your eyes are then able to concentrate on the light output in the distance more easily without the distraction. This is most important in headlamps which are the main lighting source, as opposed to fog lamps, which sole's purpose is to illuminate the sides or lines of the road closest to the vehicle in inclement weather. Being that this mod was done to fog lamps, you should be fine with the foreground limiters removed.
:notworthy (foreground shield)

yes yes...i did some digging before i settled on the fusions...must say, they looked like a piece of art when i got them

:D
HIDs on the way actually

ive had hids in my fusion fogs since i got them a year or so ago, never had any issues and they have fantastic output.

drivers side is a little off on rotation it was also sitting funny in its bracket at the time
you headlights output look amazing...im not fan of the 3000K colour (thats just me) but the fact that its SOOOO golden yellow is actually refreshing when compared to halogen (my hi/lo are still stock)

SO i got some pics to upload again but before i do that, below are two pairs of H11 LED "bulbs"

i have the 1st one in my fogs atm.

the 2nd pair with the heat sink and the fan...the drivers side fits well (thats the right hand side where I'm from)...however, when i jack it into the left side...it gets jammed and im left with a 2 INCH gap before the fog light housing even slips back into its slot...so its a no go...

that may not be such a bad thing though seeing as the risk of the fan failing is a potential or trouble...either way...i slapped it into the right side and took some pics...they're on their way :biggrin:

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LED comparison

From the above post, the fan-less guys put out may be around 600 to 800 lumens ( could be less)

the pair with the heat sink and fan are specified: 20W, 1800 lumens

pic 1, pic 2 : dim guys

pic 3, pic 4, pic 5 : dim guys on the left side, bright guys on the right

as u can see in pic 4, my galaxy note 3 camera flipped out :jawdrop:

Attachments

· Premium Member
427 Posts
im not the hugest fan of 3000k hids either, but it was such a chore finding h11 bulbs that could match my d2s headlight bulbs in color, i decided to opt for yellow to appease my ocd

the LED bulbs look like they have potential, much better than what was available a few years ago

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im not the hugest fan of 3000k hids either, but it was such a chore finding h11 bulbs that could match my d2s headlight bulbs in color, i decided to opt for yellow to appease my ocd

the LED bulbs look like they have potential, much better than what was available a few years ago

lol @ ocd.
3000K still looks better than halogens.

but i will say one thing; when the manufacturers quoted 1800 lumens, i dont think they were bluffing.
I was too lazy to go back and open the gate so i could drive onto the road and compare the light throw with the low beams. maybe some other night...

another thing...the dim guys i got in there on the left; the optics going on in there is crazy; the front of the assembly has 4 leds in a "projector lense"...its actually a curved piece of clear plastic. then there are 3 LEDs running along the side

i think thats why the bright guys have such a clean cut off line vs the presence of whisps (is that even a word :dunno: ) of light above the dim guys cut off.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HID upgrade

Upgrade!
So I stopped beating around and just went for the cream of the crop: HIDs...tried, tested and true.

Picked up a pair of kensun brand 35 W H11 lamps and ballasts.
Got them off amazon...they are slim ballasts.

Had an issue of a short in one of the wires; if i played with the wire the lamp would go off. hitting bumps a little too hard made the bulb go off as well.
I contacted customer service and they sent a free ballast. Problem solved! :banana:

So, just for readers information; here in the Caribbean, you are lucky to find someone that can do a retrofit. The guys that did mine really did a wonderful job. I would have to say it was even more tidy than some other fog light retrofits I've seen online.

With that in mind, they can be found on the facebook GROUP: "DuAL StAR CAR CuSToMiZiNG"

Below are some shots of my HIDs

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.