Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, car guy at heart ( 2014 Mercedes E63s Wagen, 2002 E55, 1991 Porsche 964 Turbo) with few Toyota Camry's ( kids and FIL).

Our 18 year old just lost his 2014 I-4 (186 HP) Toyota camry to Icey conditions and we are now looking at finding him something nicer/better/safer car.

I am a Toyota guy myself and have already, locked in a 2015 Camry V6-XLE, 40K miles and with a very rare Technology package.
V6 268HP 3.5L engine
Leather
10 airbags
Advanced Technology Package with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) and Lane Departure Alert
Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
Entune Premium JBL Audio with 10 speakers and Navigation,
Automatic High-beams
LED headlights
Built in Qi wireless phone charger

Having said that, son wants an Accord, for it's prettier than the Camry ( I agree) and it has a Carplay that Camry doesn't (agreed again)

I am not too familiar with accord and wonder if you all can help me fill in the gaps.

2016-2017 Accord ( EX-L vs Touring)?

Is Navigation and Honda sensing an option on the two trim levels or are they standard?

Is Car play standard on those trims and does it matter if the car doesn't have the navigation and the Honda sensing?

Is Touring preferable over the EX-L and why?

Does Honda offers better lightening (HIDS/LED's) like Toyota camry? I have heard HIDS however can be retrofitted with ease though?

Has anyone owned both, a Toyota Camry V6 and Honda V6 and any insight on the differences between the two?

Sorry for the long post though.

Gearhead Girl 馃
The touring trim is higher than the EX-L trim, so expect it to have more features standard on that trim. It would be preferable on multiple fronts, but that comes with an upcharge in comparison to the EX-L. Here's a link that can answer a couple of your questions right off the bat:

Registered
2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6
I have a 2017 Accord EX-L V6 with almost 109,000 miles. It has given me no trouble at all. Something to note on the Honda J35 V6 vs the Toyota V6 is that the Honda has a timing belt where the Toyota has a timing chain. The belt requires replacement at 105,000 miles or 8 years. Toyota's chain does not need replacement. The service to replace it can cost as much as $1500 or so depending on where you have it done. If you are looking at cars with mileage anywhere in that area, I would ask for service records to make sure the timing belt and water pump have been changed.

As the previous poster mentioned, the Touring is a higher trim level than EX-L. You'll get larger wheels than the EX-L's 17 inch. EX-L trims also did not come with LED headlights where Touring trims did. Honda Sensing was optional on EX-L and standard on Touring.

CarPlay does meet all of my needs for navigation. However, the infotainment system in mine at least has been crap since day one. It is extremely unstable, and trying to talk on the phone, listen to music through CarPlay, and use navigation through CarPlay will crash the system every time. It's hit or miss from day to day if it's going to work. The dealer was never helpful with it and could never replicate the problem. There again, it could just be my car.

Despite the few flaws, I have enjoyed my EX-L V6 over the four years I have owned it. I am considering replacing it with a 2021 Accord 2.0T in the near future, but I would not hesitate to recommend one to anyone. The J35 V6 is a gem of an engine and rarely gives problems, from what I have read. Good luck in your search. I hope you find a great car for your son.

Reactions: 97trophy

Registered
2016-2017 Accord ( EX-L vs Touring)?

Is Navigation and Honda sensing an option on the two trim levels or are they standard?

Is Car play standard on those trims and does it matter if the car doesn't have the navigation and the Honda sensing?

Is Touring preferable over the EX-L and why?

Does Honda offers better lightening (HIDS/LED's) like Toyota camry? I have heard HIDS however can be retrofitted with ease though?

Has anyone owned both, a Toyota Camry V6 and Honda V6 and any insight on the differences between the two?

Sorry for the long post though.
I own a 4 cylinder 2016 EX-L, so these answers pertain to that model year.
  • Honda sensing was an option on the EX-L, but standard on the Touring.
  • Navigation was an option on the EX-L, but standard on Touring.
  • CarPlay was standard for both trims.
  • The EX-L came with regular halogen headlights; the touring had LEDs.
Regarding which is better, it really is a factor of your price sensitivity.
Honda manufactured fewer Touring, so you will likely find more competitive buying options on the EX-L.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
We have agreed on the price on Honda ( 2016 Touring/57k miles), clean Carfax but the issue is, I have never driven Honda so bit nervous about the transmission feel. I drove An Acura legend several years ago and an accord V-6 later on but never did like the transmission, think there's a slightest pause when the gear changes, is that right? Toyota shifts effortlessly/smoothly without one feeling the gear changes.
Anyway going to be test driving a 2016 V6-EX-L this evening to make sure I like the transmission or else It's back to Camry.

Gearhead Girl 馃
I've never driven a Toyota so I can't compare, but as long as the transmission doesn't clunk or jerk it should be fine.
Is the Accord going to be for you, your son, or for both to share? I thought you had said that it's going to be for your son- if it is, then I think he should test drive it too, to make sure that he likes it. I know of too many cases where parents test drive cars for their kids, and it hardly ever ends well and in agreement.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I agree and he's coming with me to drive it but being a young person and having driven only the I-4 Camry, he doesn't know much about these technicalities. He surely loves driving the E63S ( 570/590) though :)

He's a good kid and I am sure he would know if the transmission feel is for him or not.

Thanks to all who have taken time and helping me out with my concerns/questions.

Premium Member
Toyota shifts effortlessly/smoothly without one feeling the gear changes.
Toyotas have(most) CVTs, that's why ...
CVTs have their own design characteristics, some good, some, not so good.
The V6 Honda won't have it, only the I4.

Gearhead Girl 馃
Toyotas have(most) CVTs, that's why ...
CVTs have their own design characteristics, some good, some, not so good.
The V6 Honda won't have it, only the I4.
I thought Toyota used more conventional automatics in most of their cars and CVT's in hybrids and Corollas? Not sure though.
Anyway OP, be prepared to pay 18 year old son V6 insurance rates if he likes it! :LOL: Good luck tonight!

Premium Member
I thought Toyota used more conventional automatics in most of their cars and CVT's in hybrids and Corollas? Not sure though.
It depends on the year..
'18 and above Camry uses a modified CVT(K120), which Toyota says prevents sluggishness that typical CVTs have..Aisin branch builds them(51% Toyota owned)...I think..
RAV4 is their biggest seller, also a CVT.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I have driven Nissan maxima's and hated the CVT but luckily the 2016-2017 V6 accord and 2015-2017 V6 camry's use the traditional 6 speed A/T.

Registered
It depends on the year..
'18 and above Camry uses a modified CVT(K120), which Toyota says prevents sluggishness that typical CVTs have..Aisin branch builds them(51% Toyota owned)...I think..
RAV4 is their biggest seller, also a CVT.
Still 8spd auto it seems.

corollas and hybrids are CVTs though, that鈥檚 correct.

Registered
I have driven Nissan maxima's and hated the CVT but luckily the 2016-2017 V6 accord and 2015-2017 V6 camry's use the traditional 6 speed A/T.
If you are looking at all the safety tech features, make sure you鈥檙e getting one that says with Sensing package, otherwise they鈥檙e not there. Also I believe instead of BSI, what Honda used in the 9th gen was called lane watch, which I really liked... but not everyone liked it, so Honda moved back to BSI for the Accords in 10th gen.

With that said, 9th gen Accord is a great car. If you can find one in great shape, go for it! Good luck!

Reactions: C2 Turbo

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Well the Dealership "Roush Honda" just outside Columbus OH will not verify the paint condition so the deal I think is over. He stated the paint is in great condition and none of the panels are resprayed ( paint meter consistent) but will not do it in writing.
So back to Camry again, i think. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all your help.

Premium Member
Well the Dealership "Roush Honda" just outside Columbus OH will not verify the paint condition so the deal I think is over. He stated the paint is in great condition and none of the panels are resprayed ( paint meter consistent) but will not do it in writing.
There's no way anyone would know that....other than the original owner.
Carfax is a guide, not a bible..

Reactions: Hudouc

Registered
I have a 14v6 and it has been a great car but not excited about having to put in all the maintenance to get to 10 years 100k. The 1-2k for the timing belt is something you wouldn't have to do with the Camry. In the used market I would go with the Camry. IMO Toyota is better at lasting longer. Whatever you do, I wouldn't recommend the CVT in the 4 banger Accord it's a deal breaker. I had one fail in our CRV at 62k.

Gearhead Girl 馃
I feel like paint is one of the lesser concerns when used car shopping, but if it's really visibly bad or if it's a condition of sale for you, that's different. Never agree to a sale that makes you uncomfortable in any way, shape, or form. That also sounds like a specific dealership problem, so maybe you'll have better luck shopping around at a different one.
Anyway, sorry it seems to have not worked out, good luck!

Registered
I've had both Toyota's and Honda's throughout the years. I have a 2014 LX Accord (4 cyl) and a 2018 LE Camry now (as well as a JCW Countryman AWD). The Accord is bigger. The Camry has MUCH BETTER paint quality. I've replaced the starter and the rear brake pads on the Accord (90,000 miles). The Camry has a smoother ride and feels like a luxury car compared to the Accord. The Camry gets better mpg, and has more power. The Camry has an 8-speed, the Accord a CVT. When looking at real-world owners such as on Truedelta.com, the Camry is more reliable. I've had V6 Accords in the past, they get front-end heavy in a hurry. Both are good cars, neither get me thrilled to drive them. Now, the Mini on the other hand, it puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. It all depends upon what you need vs what you want, and what you're willing to pay and put up with.

cvt - NOT
So back to Camry again, i think. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all your help.
It appears that, deep down, you prefer the Camry. If that's the case get the Camry that meets your specifications and budget.

Registered
I鈥檓 just going to comment on CarPlay side of the 9th gen Accord.

There are tons of posts on how CarPlay crashes the head units of these cars, including mine. Please google if you鈥檇 like. So if CarPlay is a major point, there is a chance of huge disappointment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts