Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5 Speed CVT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proton (malaysia automaker) build a new car Called Proton PERDANA based on Gen 8th accord Sedan and they even use the gen 8th accord Chasis (at First), However now they are considering using the 9th base. Rumor Said that they will be using PETRONAS F1 ENGINE.

here's the current Prototype:

Source

9th gen base rumor
proton perdana

Well what do you guys think ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow. This really is just a re-badged accord. I think this type of thing happens alot, meaning car manufacturers re-branding a foreign car in their domestic market. I remember seeing a Toyota Cavalier a few years back in Japan, that confused the hell out of me.

Petronas is just the sponsor of the Mercedes F1 team. The engine manufacturer is, as you can guess, Mercedes. Last year they ran 2.4L V8s, so I don't think this is the engine they will run in the Perdana. However, in the upcoming season F1 has moved to 1.6L Turbo V6s. That looks more realistic, but we probably won't see the roughly 800hp like F1.

·
5 Speed CVT
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i agree, it wont have 800 HP lol. i just think it's odd though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Interesting. I mean, it's not based on an 8th gen Accord, it _is_ an 8th gen accord. My guess is that they want to learn how to be better at manufacturing, so to build this car and have an easy target to aim for and compare to (the same car, but built by Honda) they can quickly learn what to do differently/better to ramp up the build quality and efficiency. This would get them to near-competetive levels of both much more quickly than building their own designs.

That's my guess anyway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Apparently, Proton is in collaboration with Honda on this.. which is why it looks very similar to the 8th gen.

They've collaborated with Mitsubishi as well..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts