Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of fluid goes in my wife's 2004 Accord EX power steering unit? Sorry to ask here but I rarely have time to get into this car.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
power steering fluid

·
Registered
5,335 Posts

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why "only Honda PS?"

Will regular ole PS damage things?

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,451 Posts
In a pinch I would say you can use the stuff with Honda/Acura on the label. Saw some at the store the other day, I think it was Prestone brand.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I'm getting conflicting messages here. Let me be frank. I never/ever/ever buy into the pitch that I should only use "Brand X" and if in this case X is Honda then so be it. I only asked this question cuz my old Ford Taurus required Mercon V in the PS system and not regular old PS fluid. Needless to say, I purchased Walmart Supertech Mercon V and nothing labeled Ford.

However, if Honda somehow formulated a one of a kind PS fluid (which I doubt) for these rigs and thou shalt only use this special formula, then I'll do it. If not, I won't.

So again, is PS fluid all that is required in these rigs? Is Honda PS fluid just PS fluid and not some kind of extra terrestrial PS fluid?

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
OK. You don't need OEM Honda PS Fluid. You need, however, PS Fluid made for honda. I used prestone from Walmart. However, last time I checked with Walmart, they were out of Prestone for Honda but had it for Asian cars, which was triple the price. I used that. Works well.

·
Super Moderator
6,354 Posts
It will start leaking if you use non-Honda fluid. There are videos on youtube and reports that document on this.

But in any case, if you need to add power steering fluid then you have a leak somewhere because it's a closed system. So you might want to check something else.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
I would just save potential headache and put in OEM Honda fluid. It's only $6 or so a bottle and you don't need more than 2 bottles to fill the system.

Brake fluid, engine oil, oil filter you can use non-Honda. PS, coolant, and tranny fluid I use Honda.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
unless it's ugly black and grimy i'd just leave it alone

·
Registered
490 Posts
Run of the mill ATF in all my Honda and Toyota power steering systems for 3 decades. It has the anti-wear capabilities and flows well at low temperature.

·
RoopsPhoto.com
218 Posts
Honda designed their PS systems to work differently from all the other PS systems. When you go to the parts store, the aftermarket fluid for Honda doesn't work with anything else. You will see on it written "For Honda". Lots of people who use aftermarket PS fluid eventually have problems. Most people who stick with OEM Honda usually have a fairly long life out of their PS systems. I have never had PS issues on any Honda I have ever owned.

·
Day Walker
39 Posts
unless it's ugly black and grimy i'd just leave it alone
That is not good advice. PS fluid like any other fluid does eventually where out and needs to be replaced. Replacing it will allow the system to work as it should for years to come. All fluids in my vehicles are replaced every two years, regardless of mileage. I tend to keep my cars for a long time though, so it matters to me.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honda designed their PS systems to work differently from all the other PS systems. When you go to the parts store, the aftermarket fluid for Honda doesn't work with anything else. You will see on it written "For Honda". Lots of people who use aftermarket PS fluid eventually have problems. Most people who stick with OEM Honda usually have a fairly long life out of their PS systems. I have never had PS issues on any Honda I have ever owned.
A couple of you have answered with this same info. Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.

My system isn't leaking, and it isn't ugly black grimy, but it is dirty and needs to be changed. It is easy and I've done it before on other rigs.

Again, thanks y'all.

Run of the mill ATF in all my Honda and Toyota power steering systems for 3 decades. It has the anti-wear capabilities and flows well at low temperature.
Do you use it in a 7th Gen Accord right now?

One last question. What is the volume of fluid in the system?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I keep the PS and tranny filled with the Honda stuff. Valvoline Dot 3 - 4 for brakes and lately, Peak silicate free coolant.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts