Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

I am wondering if someone can help me. with reference the the subject, my car brakes are pulsing (feels like the whole car is moving back and forth depending on the speed am going at)...so if an effort to fix this problem, have have replace all rotors and brake pads. Issue still exists. what could be causing this. any help would be appreciated. I have a feeling that one of these times i will be out driving and my brakes will fail when i need it most.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
When is it pulsing? During braking or acceleration? Driving straight or in a turn? Where the rotors replaced or turned?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you done the bedding in process to evenly transfer your new brake pad material onto the new rotor? Did you bleed your brakes to get any air out that may be in your lines? Lastly, is your wheel alignment proper? Hope you fix your problem.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Possibility of bent or out of balance wheels and/or warped tires, but you'd feel those even when not braking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i only feel pulsating when using brakes (any speed above say 30mph)...rotors/pads are new. i didn't bleed any brakes though

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Suspension issues?
Wheels torqued down improperly?
Wondering if slider pins are stuck?

Original Poster- what town are you in? How many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Cheap ebay chinese rotors and pads?

Could be a cause...

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Expensive store bought Canadian-made rotors and pads?

Could also be a cause...

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
i only feel pulsating when using brakes (any speed above say 30mph)...rotors/pads are new. i didn't bleed any brakes though
You may also have an issue with ABS engaging. Pull the ABS fuse and see if it stops. Other than that, it's got to be the rotors. Since they're new, either return them under warranty or get them resurfaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where is abs fuse?

i doubt it is the rotors/pads, especially since i just installed them

its like nothing has changed b4 or after rotors/pads were swapped

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
where is abs fuse?
Actually, it's a relay and you should be able to locate it in or near the underhood fuse box. I have an i4, so a V6 owner may guide you specifically.

·
Mike
779 Posts
For what it's worth, I traced a pulsating brake problem to one of my factory mag wheels. Swapped it for the spare (mag) and no more pulsating. Had it checked and balanced - put it back on and same problem. Had the tires swapped (tyre shop thought I was nuts) and the problem followed the mag wheel. I always use a torque wrench on my wheels, tyre shop and I gave up, I now use it as the spare.

Only thing I can think of is the bolt mating face must have warped slightly and not the outer mag wheel, hence no noticeable vibration when driving, it balances ok but causes brake pulse.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Which type of pulsation is it?

An ABS pulsation will feel like a fast rattle on the pedal along with a buzzing noise

A brake pulsation will feel much different, and it sometimes can be seen/felt on the steering wheel

·
Registered
172 Posts
Did you thorough clean the mating surface between the rotor and hub? Corrosion buildup can cause run out on the rotors, a few thousands of an inch buildup will cause the rotor to runout significantly more at the pads.

Wire wheel hub face to clean metal, a light coating of never seize to prevent recurrence.

The recommendation to bed the pads is a good thing to do. If uneven pad deposits are on the rotor, it will have a similar effect to run out.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Not that it's required, but it is good practice to make it a habit of changing your brake fluid with OEM Honda fluid every time your pads and rotors are due for changing - just for that nice, clean brake feel. You could consider changing your brake fluid (may not fix the pulsing, but also won't hurt anything).

When did you first notice that the pulsing started, and have you changed anything at or around that time? Anything? (besides the rotors/pads - and please do not tell me you went with drilled and/or slotted rotors...they will tear your pads up in no time and are meant for tracking, not daily driving) I'm sort of with Mike on this one - it may be related to a wheel and/or tire issue. I once had a shop do a horrible job at balancing my new Good Years and I could feel it every time I braked. I went back to the shop and complained (I know the owner) and he started arguing with me that his guys know what they're doing and the machine is 100% computerized. I said "Kevin...don't believe me that they're off balanced? Here's my receipt...it's been 4 days. Here's the keys. Either you or one of your guys go take it for a spin and tell me that they're not off." His guy comes back 10 minutes later and says "Yep, they're definitely not balanced right." Needless to say, I got them re-balanced for free and didn't leave until they were perfect (I stood back next to the kid and the machine as he balanced them :tongue:)

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
I still had pulsation after I put on new pads and rotors, then resolved the problem.

2 reasons:
- I did not grind off the rust on the hub -> VERY IMPORTANT. Microns of thickness transferred into huge pulsation likes others said. Use a small dremel and make it CLEAN.

- I did not bed in the pads the first day -> bedded in the pads the second day, morning of the third day, braking is smooth as butter

3rd possible reason is because you didn't lubricate the slider pins and the upper and lower pins are closing in at different speeds.

ABS? NO
Brake fluid? NO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no i did not use slotted or drilled rotors. i did not change brake fluid though i agree it will not hurt.....however that 'slider pin' idea sounds possible except i am a DYI-er. With regard to rust i noticed that after replacement of the rotors the front pair have already accummulated a noticable amount of rust....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts