Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last month I've used truecar, AmEx, and Costco for pricing services.

2015 Touring no accessories Seattle Tacoma area.

$29319.00 is the best Costco price I've received.

I have emailed a few other local dealers and in mentioning the price above, their attitude is "We have a meet or beat price policy, feel free to bring in your written price when you are ready to buy."

As we all know - I'm trying to see if anyone will beat that price, and get them to come down as far as I can.

Honestly, I should be ready to purchase in 7 days time *IF* I can get some more dealers to email me pricing info.

So here is where I'm looking for some suggestions -

How do I go about getting the 15 dealerships in my area to throw out their prices when mentioning the Costco amount above?

something like:
I'm looking to purchase my Accord on June ___ (that date still isn't set in stone.) I have a Costco price of $29668.00 and would like to know if you can beat that price?

WA state has 10% taxes. Ugh, and though I know nothing can be done about that, I figure with the upcoming July 4th sales, the mid model refresh and the Costco pricing above I would try and jump the gun on sale pricing and am thinking of trying to get in around $28k.

*EDIT* I have also noticed that listed on this webpage:

http://tellmethebest.com/honda.html
Their best price on the Touring comes out to $29160.00 although I can not vouch for the credibility of that webpage.

I'm not a great "wordsmith" when it comes to emailing these dealerships, so I'm hoping someone might have an email saved that could help me massage some more prices out of these dealers?

I would appreciate your input! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, but Costco price prolly be pretty close to the best you can do without getting all wrapped around the axle over mebbe a couple/few hundred bucks.
Noted.

Now if you can't provide some suggestions, or help, please mosey on back under the bridge over there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
in my experience, you're not going to get their best price until you go in person. You might have to walk away from the deal at least once or twice and have them come back to you. They're not going to get into a bidding war for someone who may or may not be real - i.e. hasn't actually set foot on their lot. Requires some legwork on your part, but if you really want the best price, that's what you have to do.

Anything above $29k seems high to me, frankly. When I bought my '15 EX-L v6 a couple weeks ago, they initially priced it out for me with the sticker price at $31k and change. I very politely said "let's not waste each other's time. Here's a number I think is fair" and I wrote down $26k on their paper. He came back at $29 something, I got up to leave, and he came back at $28k. Walked toward the front door and the manager came over offering $26.5. I left. Two days later the salesman texted me and said he'd do $26k. I went in and bought the car.

I had emailed a bunch of dealerships prior to that, and none would put in writing a price that far below sticker.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so-cal

thank you for recalling your purchase.
Now that you mention it, I have to agree that a few minutes (seconds) writing and email does not show you're THAT interested. Never thought of it that way before.

I don't have a problem walking out, or even not buying at all.

The dealership you went into - was it your closest? When you wrote down your offer were you bombarded with questions about buying/financing?

So their initial offer was just the sticker correct? And then your counter. Well played indeed!

in my experience, you're not going to get their best price until you go in person. You might have to walk away from the deal at least once or twice and have them come back to you. They're not going to get into a bidding war for someone who may or may not be real - i.e. hasn't actually set foot on their lot. Requires some legwork on your part, but if you really want the best price, that's what you have to do.

Anything above $29k seems high to me, frankly. When I bought my '15 EX-L v6 a couple weeks ago, they initially priced it out for me with the sticker price at $31k and change. I very politely said "let's not waste each other's time. Here's a number I think is fair" and I wrote down $26k on their paper. He came back at $29 something, I got up to leave, and he came back at $28k. Walked toward the front door and the manager came over offering $26.5. I left. Two days later the salesman texted me and said he'd do $26k. I went in and bought the car.

I had emailed a bunch of dealerships prior to that, and none would put in writing a price that far below sticker.

·
Registered
33 Posts
so-cal

thank you for recalling your purchase.
Now that you mention it, I have to agree that a few minutes (seconds) writing and email does not show you're THAT interested. Never thought of it that way before.

I don't have a problem walking out, or even not buying at all.

The dealership you went into - was it your closest? When you wrote down your offer were you bombarded with questions about buying/financing?

So their initial offer was just the sticker correct? And then your counter. Well played indeed!
It's a long story, but no, this wasn't my closest dealership. Was visiting my parents about an hour away from where I live and just went for a test drive, expecting to make the actual purchase closer to home. They got super aggressive though with their pricing, and after trying dealerships closer to home, the first one ended up being the cheapest.

If you're OK with walking away, and you've got the time, go into the dealership and show them you're serious. They'll try to make it all about the monthly payment number, but tell them all you're concerned about is the purchase price. If you tell them you're financing or leasing rather than paying cash, they might be more prone to bringing the price down, because then they think they'll be making money off you from the interest.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Noted.

Now if you can't provide some suggestions, or help, please mosey on back under the bridge over there.

15 dealers? Why don't you stop wasting your time and their time while you try and suck out any reason for anyone to want to even bother to help you.

Have you forgotten that you wouldn't go to work without getting paid?
Is a nearly $ 5000 discount not enough yet?

I'd rather be a troll than a mooch.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
15 dealers? Why don't you stop wasting your time and their time while you try and suck out any reason for anyone to want to even bother to help you.

Have you forgotten that you wouldn't go to work without getting paid?
Is a nearly $ 5000 discount not enough yet?

I'd rather be a troll than a mooch.
You can be whatever you like. I'm going to be an informed buyer who is looking to get the best deal possible.

The dealership/salesperson/finance person/lot boy can make their big profit off of someone else. I had nothing to do with their career choice.

Just follow the other guy up there over there to his bridge and you two can work on being civil.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In all fairness, he gave you a pretty honest answer. No need to be a douche just because it wasn't what you wanted to hear.
Honestly....$30K seems a good/good enough price for a Touring. Unless you're really looking to enjoy the chase, just take it.
Fair enough.

I assumed that my original post was detailed enough so that it was clear I was asking for like situations, or help/advice from anyone who has already been in my situation.

"Just take it" for me, doesn't qualify as helping so much.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Noted.

Wow. As a business owner I would tell you to go fly a kite. There are plenty of people willing to buy now and at higher prices. I am sure your not the last person going to buy a car.

So I am going to call around to some CFP's and see who can give me the best price. They make too much anyway.

Here's a suggestion, sometimes the relationship is worth more than the price. Think about it. I am glad I have a good relationship with my dealer and it has paid off in future purchases, service deals, coverage of items that were out of warranty like active engine mounts for our Odyssey and even loaner cars. Not to mention business they have sent me. It's more than paid for itself over the $3 I might have saved over the next lowest price.

·
Registered
165 Posts
@daveCFPrez

I don't see anything wrong with emailing the Costco deal to 15 dealerships.
I wish I had that many within 2-hour driving radius.

You email should have these info (2015 Accord Touring with no dealer-add-on, exterior color, interior color, the selling price including destination and when to buy).

To cut down the back-and-forth, you should also attach the email from Costco to let the dealers know that you have a legitimate deal.

Since you want to inquire 15 dealers, allow a couple of days to trade emails with the dealers.

Don't show up at any dealership until they give you a quote you like and they have the car you want (ie. the trim, the color ).
You can try to negotiate further when you arrive at the dealership but don't be surprised if the dealer stays firm with the quoted price.

In my case, I put in the email that I was ready to buy on the same day at such price. All the dealers responded within the hour. Some dealers provided quotes that met or beat my desired price which allowed me to close the deal on the same day.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Fair enough.

I assumed that my original post was detailed enough so that it was clear I was asking for like situations, or help/advice from anyone who has already been in my situation.

"Just take it" for me, doesn't qualify as helping so much.
The point is you're seeking an unreasonable deal. Do you want to buy a car or chase a deal you won't get?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am glad I have a good relationship with my dealer and it has paid off in future purchases, service deals, coverage of items that were out of warranty like active engine mounts for our Odyssey and even loaner cars. Not to mention business they have sent me. It's more than paid for itself over the $3 I might have saved over the next lowest price.
Yes I know the "you scratch my back I scratch yours" relationship, and if that is helpful to both of you and you both don't mind, great.

You have a relationship because both of you benefit from each other's customer base. Favors for favors favors both of you or things would be different.

I am "just" a consumer. I'm not a business owner, and this vehicle isn't a need purchase, its a want. I don't have to buy this (or any) vehicle. I don't bring anything to the table but a purchase and possibly future service.

Sure I expect them to be nice, but I'm not going to over pay what I feel is a fair price to have a relationship that brings me nothing but exactly what the other Honda dealership down the road would charge me for the same service.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@daveCFPrez

I don't see anything wrong with emailing the Costco deal to 15 dealerships.
I wish I had that many within 2-hour driving radius.

You email should have these info (2015 Accord Touring with no dealer-add-on, exterior color, interior color, the selling price including destination and when to buy).

To cut down the back-and-forth, you should also attach the email from Costco to let the dealers know that you have a legitimate deal.

Since you want to inquire 15 dealers, allow a couple of days to trade emails with the dealers.

Don't show up at any dealership until they give you a quote you like and they have the car you want (ie. the trim, the color ).
You can try to negotiate further when you arrive at the dealership but don't be surprised if the dealer stays firm with the quoted price.

In my case, I put in the email that I was ready to buy on the same day at such price. All the dealers responded within the hour. Some dealers provided quotes that met or beat my desired price which allowed me to close the deal on the same day.
Thank you Txn

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The point is you're seeking an unreasonable deal. Do you want to buy a car or chase a deal you won't get?
Neither.

I'm simply asking what others have done or did in a similar situation.

I never asked to pay pennies on the dollar.

One of the replies was an example of saving $5,000.00 off of the dealers initial price offer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts