Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title states... this is a hypothetical question... The Accord Sport 2016 which is what I have doesn't come with a V6... As I have seen many people mention in any mod specific thread there's always that one person to say oh just get the V6 :wink

Just felt like making this to see how practical this might be or might not be... Engines themselves are not that expensive when you think about it in comparison to the thousands upon thousands of mods some people do which more power to them but for the sake of this thread that I am making does anyone know how possible it would be to throw a V6 engine inside the 16 Accord Sport?

Thinking this might be a fun topic to talk about it's been on my mind for a few days now :grin

·
Registered
28 Posts
So as the title states... this is a hypothetical question... The Accord Sport 2016 which is what I have doesn't come with a V6... As I have seen many people mention in any mod specific thread there's always that one person to say oh just get the V6 :wink

Just felt like making this to see how practical this might be or might not be... Engines themselves are not that expensive when you think about it in comparison to the thousands upon thousands of mods some people do which more power to them but for the sake of this thread that I am making does anyone know how possible it would be to throw a V6 engine inside the 16 Accord Sport?

Thinking this might be a fun topic to talk about it's been on my mind for a few days now :grin
Anything is possible my friend. However, i don't think it would work well with the CVT transmission.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transmissions can also be changed... I highly doubt if I or anyone would want to do this a simple transmission would be the catalyst in stopping said experiment...

And let's not forget you could also sell off your old engine and tranny so you're not exactly spending as much as you'd think.... it's not like your engine is blown or anything like that... just upgrading.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I often ask this question at work to my bosses who come up to me and ask "can we do this" and my reply is that is not the right question to ask, the real question is "should we do this". That being said it would take some serious capitol to do. Just off the top of my head I am thinking engine, transmission, wiring harnesses, ECM, maybe fuel pump, maybe front suspension since V6 will weigh more and there are probably several other things I am missing. As you said you could recover some of the investment by selling your replaced items. Interesting idea though.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
This is a fun thought but wouldn’t it be much cheaper to buy a Touring V6 and just add the Sport’s features you like to that car? A Touring costs about $10,000 more than a Sport, right? By the time you complete a full V6 conversion (engine, trans, suspension, electronics, etc.) you’ll probably dump more than $10G into it. Plus the Touring has all those added features (leather, moonroof, electronics, safety) and would also keep the full warranty while the Sport-V6-conversion would lose most of its warranty. When it’s time to sell either car, the Touring would have depreciated normally while a Sport-V6-conversion would have depreciated like crazy. Perhaps this is just me, but I would never buy a Sport-V6-conversion as a used car. Too much risk. In the used market I’d wager the Sport-V6-conversion would be worth less than a Stock Sport.

Now if you’re talking about converting an I4-6MT Sport to a V6-6MT Sport, there may be a few crazy diehard MT fanatics who would step up to the plate on that one, provided your execution was flawless.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
There's really not much that's sporty about the Sport. It's really a gussied up LX with paddle shifters on the CVT like in the Coupe. What would be interesting is for Honda to offer the current Sport with a V6 and a manual transmission only like on the Coupe. The car could be offered as a limited edition model with the larger tires, larger brakes and possibly coil overs along with the V6. It would have cloth seats and only one iMid screen to keep the cost low because the performance oriented buyer doesn't care that much about the hi tech features. It might cost close to the Touring model but aimed at the performance buyer.

Maybe Honda's marketing folks have already explored that idea and decided there isn't enough of a market for a real performance Sport.

·
HK Moderator
13,617 Posts
Don't swap engines and transmissions.

I don't mean to be the guy in the R-rated movie who kills your dreams....I wish I could be the guy in the PG-rated movie who hopes you win big, but....

The ECU will have to be switched, and will never work right in a conversion. Other aux systems won't work right either. Things like seat belt idiot lights, ABS brake warning light, HVAC controls, etc just won't work well again.

Our 7th Gen forum has 6 or so threads where people put a V6 Honda or Acura engine and transmission in their 4 cylinder bodies, and they are all horror stories costing thousands of dollars more than planned, and all sold their cars soon after because they did not run well, did not shift well, and even acted funny (one guy's moon roof would automatically open every time he started the car).

Accords are everywhere.....a very common car. Buy the car you want and add wheels and such- but not engine and transmissions.

Older cars- like my 1991 Nissan 240sx, are a piece of cake to swap Chevy LS1 engines, or to add overnighted parts from Japan. No ABS brakes, no air bags, no climate control, no nothing. People do it all the time. The prescribed "fix" for a damaged stock engine is to put a Chevy 350 in there. Heck, aftermarket companies sell complete conversion kits with an ECU and wiring harness. The how to do is a sticky on those forums! But on a modern car- they will never run right....stop thinking such things....repent!

Edit:
1) You live in beautiful Miami Beach, why do you want to drive faster?

2) I like member "ForgivenOne"'s question..."Should we do this?"

·
Banned
550 Posts
Not really understanding what you want. You're saying you want a v6 with a 6mt in a sedan, right? Not necessarily a v6 in a sport? I've heard a lot of requests for a 6MT in the v6 sedan. The cheapest and easiest way would be to start with a exl-v6 sedan, and swap a J35Y2 MT engine, engine mounts, 6MT Trans, Trans mounts, MT ECU, MT axles, MT exhaust braces, MT shift console, MT shift linkage and bushings/cables etc. The list will grow and you'll run into thinks mentioned above like having the gear indicator on the dash not work... So might need a MT cluster from the sport... But then it would be missing certain lights and features the V6 chassis needs... Same goes for VSA, ABS etc. You might run into electrical issues on the harness/CAN Bus that actually need to be custom coded/programmed to work right. It's doable but it won't be a weekend in the driveway job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea it was just a hypothetical thing I wanted to see how easy or not easy this would be. I love my Sport I wouldn't change it at all not yet anyways! I know myself though chances of me trading up for a Touring Edition with a V6 are quite high but im talking about later down the road maybe in a couple years or so for now I am still having loads of fun and dont see myself getting bored of this car in any way.

I just wish it had a little more pep in it's acceleration but more than that the sound system haha which I will be changing out anyhow I am currently researching as much as I can so when the funds become complete I can either go solo install or just have a buddy help me with this or get it prof. installed if I dont have the time which might be the case.

but yea this wasn't a thread meant for me to actually be doing a swap it was just feeling out the gear heads and car lovers that like doing crazy shit seeing if this might be doable and of course like someone said earlier and touching on a lot of what everyone is saying actually anything is possible but there would be a undoubtedly high price tag for doing it all the right way and ultimately might not be worth the time money and hassle.

Thanks for all the imput guys its good to read all the responses

·
Registered
119 Posts
For the money...if you still want a sedan and want more grunt why not just a WRX?

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
Someday I might try to swap a MT into my V6 Coupe... I've come one step closer now that I have pneumatic tools. I'd need to consult KTuner to see if I could get away with flashing MT software on my AT ECU.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,591 Posts
This whole engine/transmission swap is really not a smart nor cost effective way to get the car you want.

The one you want is out there already put together properly with everything working as it should, you just have to look for it. MUCH easier than swapping any drive train components.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd really hate to be another party pooper to chime in. But unless you're a proper tuner with experience and a decent garage the chances of a swap like this being done and actually have it running right let alone being reliable is slim. You can find plenty of swapped specimens online halfway completed for a reason. I've had a mildly tuned car with nothing as near as drastic as this and reliability starts to be something to keep in the back of your mind every time you drive. For every 1000hp Odyssey being showcased by a crazy shop there are countless failed projects.

I second what 200366HFP said. Save yourself the dissapointment and wait for a good chance to trade into an MT if you can. You'll take one of the most reliable cars around and turn it into another craiglist special once you run out of patience or money to burn. Worse yet the enjoyable Honda manual transmission that most of the buff magazines rave about wont likely be your end result.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts