Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Accord enthusiasts. Long time reader, first time poster. So I have this odd issue that has been happening with our 2014 Accord Ex-L v4 with CVT, push button start.

First let me state this thing is a beast. Purchased new in 2014, almost have 180K on it, and all I have had to do to is is general maintenance, very, very impressed. Few years back, we were out running errands, got back in car, go to start it, push button, "hear a faint click sound", then nothing. Doesn't attempt to turnover, all the icons on the dash light up, radio turns on. Brake pedal gets hard as a rock, can't press it in. Few more pushes of the button to "clear" it, wait a few minutes, try it again and it starts fine.

At first we didn't think anything of it. This is my first "fancy" push button start vehicle, I'm a rancher and used to old technology, so i wrote it off as a weird issue with a sensor. As the months continue, my wife tells me this happens more and more. Sometimes she can get it to start on a few more attempts, other times she has had to wait upwards of 30 minutes before it will start. Of course when i take it to Honda and a standalone shop for them to evaluate, they cannot make it happen. They said battery is fine, starter is fine, etc.

Well, yesterday my wife had it happen again. After she got home I grabbed a different key fob, went in garage and tried to make it not start. Sure nuff, first try, "click", no start. Something interesting i did notice is that when i opened the door to the car, the side door light, drivers seat did not move to correct position, it was almost as if the car had no power.

I've read many other posts about similar "starting" issues, they all sound similar to mine. Some state a brake pedal sensor, others the battery, some the starter/starter solenoid, some even the push button start itself.

I plan on getting the wife a new car soon, but i want to keep this one as my commuter car. Its been paid off for years, gets great MPG, and is just a joy to drive. I am fine putting money into the car in repairs, $3k in repairs is 6 months of a car payment in my eyes.

1. Install new Battery, (existing is a Honda, but its only 3yrs old).
2. Drive vehicle for a few weeks, see if issue remains or clears up.
3. If issue remains, replace starter, brake pedal sensor.
4. Drive vehicle for a few weeks, see if issue remains or clears up.
5. If issue remains, I'm out of ideas!!

Long post I know, just wanted to try and provide as much info as I could to help you pros provide much needed advice.

Thank You!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think this is a starter issue (but I could be totally wrong). I remember having the same kind of issues (super hard brake pedal, all lights come on) when my starter died on my own 2014 accord.

I'd get it fixed asap at the dealer if I were you. My vehicle began to be extremely unreliable on me once that issue started to come up.

(Again, this is just my speculation).

Reactions: JKinds

·
Registered
4 Posts
Even though your battery is fairly new, this sounds like a battery issue. Have you tried tightening the battery terminal clamps? Checked the negative end chassis connection? The info that the seat will not go into position indicates this is not a starter problem.

A long shot, but I had a motorcycle battery that was erratic. If I tapped the terminals, it would start immediately. Eventually it was diagnosed as an internal crack and a new battery solved the start problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. I went into town to O'Reillys, had them do a battery test on it, showed "Bad Battery". Since I was there, I went ahead and purchased a new battery and have already put it in the vehicle. Going to have my wife drive the vehicle on her normal daily errands for the next week or so and see if she can get it to misbehave like it did before.

I will update this thread as things happen!

·
8th Gen Believer
4,035 Posts
I think you did right. Car batteries don't last, and I had one go completely dead at 2 1/2 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welp, still having the issue AFTER putting in a new battery earlier this morning....

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I had this car a few years ago. As you mentioned, fantastic car! But the battery it had was crappy as usual. Mine died in less than 2.5 years.....

I’d agree, it’s probably a starter issue. I’d get it tested at a dealer and shop around. I like to go to the dealers for this sort of problems. Make sure you decline everything else they come up for you though as most likely whatever else they will say is wrong is unnecessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve got the car scheduled at my local Honda dealership tomorrow. I’m guessing they hook it up to diagnostics and be unable to pull any codes. We shall see.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine had battery sensor, battery, and starter issues. I had a 2016 v6 touring. No idea why all 3 things went bad. Just wouldn't freaking start some summer.

As for "amazing car". Great performance and luxury but it was WAY too heavy in the front. It was torture following people in traffic because you would coast way faster. I still have this issue when behind trucks in my 2019, but it was just about every car I was behind I had to nurse the brakes and it KILLED my ankle :/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine had battery sensor, battery, and starter issues. I had a 2016 v6 touring. No idea why all 3 things went bad. Just wouldn't freaking start some summer.

As for "amazing car". Great performance and luxury but it was WAY too heavy in the front. It was torture following people in traffic because you would coast way faster. I still have this issue when behind trucks in my 2019, but it was just about every car I was behind I had to nurse the brakes and it KILLED my ankle :/
I live in gods country "Oklahoma", where the roads are mostly flat, never had a problem with coasting too fast.

·
My Dream car! 13 EX-L
83 Posts
It's the little black starter relay. Left side under the hood. Remove the black cover. About $20. ($50 dealer)Buy a spare. BTDT. Cost me $164 at the dealership.

Reactions: JKinds
1 - 12 of 12 Posts