Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I have a question about a small hose on my 2009 Accord EX I-4. There is small oily gunk accumulating around that area (picture posted with a red arrow indicating the hose). I've taken my car to the Honda dealer because of this same issue and the dealer replaced the hose clap. A year later, the oily gunk is back. What is the function of this hose? Just curious. Of course, this small hose will be replaced now. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,003 Posts
Looks like the PCV breather hose.

It's to vent gases out of the crank case to the intake which then goes back into the combustion chamber where they're burned off.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
^^ Is mostly correct. It vents gases when it's acting as the PCV valve overflow (WOT), but it intakes air during idle and cruise to refresh the air being evacuated through the PCV valve.

That's not the OEM hose clamp you have on there. The one you have on there can tear the hose if tightened too much.

·
Registered
534 Posts
And to the OP: If you have gunk/residue there, you also have it inside the valve-cover too (and elsewhere). It's one of the consequences of short-tripping. Were I you, at a minimum I'd increase the frequency of your oil changes and take a few longer trips. A quality high-detergent synthetic oil and trips of 20 miles or more at least once a week would help a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts