Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. A mechanic pointed out this problem with the right side/passenger side front axle on my 2007 Honda Accord v6, 186,000 miles. The axles are original, I have not had to replace them in the past. I don’t currently have vibration, noises or shaking due to this axle.

1. How much time do you think I have before replacing it?
2. There is no visible damage with the left side axle. Do you think I should replace the right and left side axles at the same time?
3. What brands of axles would you recommend?
4. What do you think is a reasonable charge for a mechanic to replace the two front axles, if I provide the parts?

Thank you.

Fluid Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
07 Accord V6 AT Sedan
454 Posts
That looks to me like the bushing is just coming apart, which it does on these axles. If you don't have a vibration, I personally wouldn't fuss with it unless you see that there is real damage to the axle shaft.

I replaced both of mine when I did and I got Raxles which are the more expensive option, but I haven't had a vibration since.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey ashirm98. Thanks for pointing out the difference between the bushing and the axle itself. It's helpful information. I will look into those Raxles too. It's nice to know another 07 accord v6 at owner. :)

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
That is the vibration damper, what happens is corrosion starts under the rubber. What eventually happens is the axle will actually break and the vehicle will not move. You should replace it sooner than later. OEM is preferable, but are probably no longer available. Raxles are the best option.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Screw raxles, the core won't be any good anyway, so they won't accept it. I put in an autozone cheapie and it's still perfect 30K miles later. How much longer are you keeping the car?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Screw raxles, the core won't be any good anyway, so they won't accept it. I put in an autozone cheapie and it's still perfect 30K miles later. How much longer are you keeping the car?
Well, with the increase in cost for new and used cars, and since I have put a decent amount of money into the car recently, I may try and keep it until the next timing belt change (another 90,000) or until the transmission gives out.

Do you remember what brand of axle you bought at autozone?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Any rebuilt, renewed, refurbished axle is junk. Most of the new cheap Chinese made axles are a bit better. The new axles from Cardone are decent.

The state of automotive replacement parts is very sad these days. It is so hard to find a good quality part, without going back to OEM.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
07 Accord V6 AT Sedan
454 Posts
Those cheapy axles work great for some peoe and not for others. A buddy of mine used a pair on his car. Vibration pissed him off so much that he took my old axles and swapped them in and that was far less vibration

On the other hand, they did the same with his mom's car and that's been fine.

So what if he doesn't want your rusty axle, I'll take one that's going to work for sure over giving AutoZone a penny more than I have to

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Prefers to shift his own gears
942 Posts
I don't live where rust is a problem. That said:

My original axles lasted just over 440k. Started noticing a decent vibration under acceleration from 50-70mph. I replaced those with OEM axles. Those axles currently have about 475k on them.

I finally received my other OEM axle a few days ago. I ordered it a year ago.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't live where rust is a problem. That said:

My original axles lasted just over 440k. Started noticing a decent vibration under acceleration from 50-70mph. I replaced those with OEM axles. Those axles currently have about 475k on them.

I finally received my other OEM axle a few days ago. I ordered it a year ago.
Wow. I won't be able to wait a whole year for oem axles. I will need to use a good quality substitute. Your axles have lasted so many miles, that is great.

·
Prefers to shift his own gears
942 Posts
One side arrived shortly after I ordered it. The other was on backorder. On some Honda OEM discount sites, the axle on backorder was listed as discontinued. Not actually discontinued, but that's what they listed for availability.

I've been ordering parts through Jim White Honda out of Ohio. I've found they usually have the best prices on real OEM Honda parts.

You could always call their parts dept to check on availability. They were very helpful via email or on the phone.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Double check with a Honda dealership but I believe the part# for the axle is 44305-SDC-A00. There are probably some new still available.

And if I were you, I would look for a low mileage used axle. I have seen a few on eBay and other places. Just be sure the rust issue is not on the used axle.

·
Registered
04 coupe w/06-07 rear end conversion-19” TSW Sochi- Nighthawk Black,2008 Equinox LS AWD Summit White
39 Posts
I'd replace it. I believe that they use the same axle as the 2.4l and mine went with wayyy less wear on the busing then what you have. I was turning left on to a main street and a city bus decided to try and beat me to the intersection, so I floored it and pop- spedometer went all wacky and rpms skyrocketed. Scared the s**t out of me. The metal underneath the bushing collects rusts, cracks and eventually shears right in half. If you do break it, your car wont go anywhere, so for that reason alone, I'd personally replace it asap. I used either a dorman or a cardone unit and for just a daily driver it works fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd replace it. I believe that they use the same axle as the 2.4l and mine went with wayyy less wear on the busing then what you have. I was turning left on to a main street and a city bus decided to try and beat me to the intersection, so I floored it and pop- spedometer went all wacky and rpms skyrocketed. Scared the s**t out of me. The metal underneath the bushing collects rusts, cracks and eventually shears right in half. If you do break it, your car wont go anywhere, so for that reason alone, I'd personally replace it asap. I used either a dorman or a cardone unit and for just a daily driver it works fine.
Hey nick_leroux. Thanks for the warning. Im glad you survived that scary axle break experience. I have ordered the left and right side axles and when they arrive I will schedule an appointment with a local mechanic to replace them.

·
08Coupe
102 Posts
Hi. A mechanic pointed out this problem with the right side/passenger side front axle on my 2007 Honda Accord v6, 186,000 miles. The axles are original, I have not had to replace them in the past. I don’t currently have vibration, noises or shaking due to this axle.

1. How much time do you think I have before replacing it?
2. There is no visible damage with the left side axle. Do you think I should replace the right and left side axles at the same time?
3. What brands of axles would you recommend?
4. What do you think is a reasonable charge for a mechanic to replace the two front axles, if I provide the parts?

Thank you.

View attachment 540508
I had a problem with a shaking on acceleration on my front right axle. After several attempts at replacing the axle bushings and most of all of the other parts in the front and I ended up spending $3000 to get the entire front and rebuilt. I suggest all OEM parts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I cut one off once. That rubber is super thick. What you see tearing is only the outer little bit. The thing will probably never come off before the next ice age. Its job is to absorb vibration (shaking). If it were to come off you'll feel shaking. If you feel shaking some day, look under there again and see if it came off. If so get a new axle.

When I needed a new axle for my Accord I visited every local parts store and physically inspected the axles. None of them had the rubber damper. I then looked at all of the rockauto pics and bought the brand that had the damper. It also happened to be the cheapest axle and it worked great.

·
Registered
04 coupe w/06-07 rear end conversion-19” TSW Sochi- Nighthawk Black,2008 Equinox LS AWD Summit White
39 Posts
Hey nick_leroux. Thanks for the warning. Im glad you survived that scary axle break experience. I have ordered the left and right side axles and when they arrive I will schedule an appointment with a local mechanic to replace them.
just took me by surprise more then anything tbh. Personally, I just like replacing worn parts before the break. Just good general practice, but hey, to each their own, right?

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,547 Posts
Here was my old post:

In this economy, mechanics probably will charge you at least 3 hours of labor time for both.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here was my old post:

In this economy, mechanics probably will charge you at least 3 hours of labor time for both.
Hey visionguru. Wow, the condition of your axle was very similar to the current condition of my axle. I've ordered the replacement axles and nuts and I hope to have them installed within the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi. I got my front right and left side axles replaced today using the following parts- GSP NCV36127 left, GSP NCV36128 right, Beck Arnley 103-0502 Axle Nuts.

So the axle work is complete.

When doing the axle work, the mechanic saw the bushings on the lower control arms on the right and left side were busted. The axles and the lower control arms were original to the car.

He replaced one of the lower control arms. He could not remove a bolt off of the other. He sprayed it will some lubricant and he will try again tomorrow. He will cut it off if necessary.

I have two questions-

1. I think I now hear a clunk type noise that wasnt there before this work was done. The noise happens sporadically when turning or braking. Do you think this noise may be happening because one lower control arm has been replaced but the other lower control arm has not yet been replaced? Do you think the noise could be due to the new axles?

2. What other parts of the suspension, aside from the axles and the lower control arms, do you think with be next to have to be replaced? Im pretty sure all of the suspension parts are original to the car. I'm just hoping I am not at the point where everything starts needing to be replaced, part by part.

Thank you for your insight.

2007 Honda Accord V6
185,000 miles

1 - 20 of 20 Posts