Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my car diagnosed with a wheel bearing and hub problem. This will be my first D.I.Y. i already bought the whole hub and bearing assembly (part 3). Do i need to buy the o ring (part 4) and wheel bolt (part 5)?

Also does anybody have a video this procedure of a 8th generation honda accord?

Attachments

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
If you bought part 3, then that diagram indicates it comes with 4 and 5 already. I'm unsure how to go about getting the center hub bolt off. I think it's torqued to 300 ft-lbs (or something crazy like that) and can really only be taken off with a 3/4 impact gun.

I would try to find a video of it being done on any gen Accord. Chances are the procedure is similar for all cars.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
You shouldn't have to get any other parts other than the axle nuts, since there is a lip on the axle nut that is staked into a slot in the threaded shaft to prevent accidental loosening of the axle nut, you would unstake the nut to replace it, and a new one should be used to install the new hub/bearing.

Assuming this is similar to an 7th Gen, I used a 550 ft-lb 1/2" drive pneumatic impact wrench last fall to loosen the axle nuts, it was VERY easy to come off, I suspect it is because this area is very well protected from rusting by the metal end cap over the axle ends.

I don't have the torque value handy as I'm travelling at the moment, but it should not be 300 ft-lbs, IIRC it's in the low 200 ft-lb range for my 7th Gen, I can't see the 8th Gen would need to go up much higher.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
I don't have the torque value handy as I'm travelling at the moment, but it should not be 300 ft-lbs, IIRC it's in the low 200 ft-lb range for my 7th Gen, I can't see the 8th Gen would need to go up much higher.
Because I pretty much always have the service manual open, especially now since I'm messing with brakes + SS lines, the value is 242 ft-lbs. Quite a stout nut.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Surprising with such a high torque value with the 8th Gen, just got home and looked up the value for the 7th Gen in my shop manual, it's only 134 ft-lb of torque for both the front and rear axle nuts.

·
Registered
268 Posts
he's doing the rear hub/bearing, so there is no axle nut. just the 4 bolts behind the knuckle. it should have come with the wheel studs and the o-ring according to the parts diagram...

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
he's doing the rear hub/bearing, so there is no axle nut. just the 4 bolts behind the knuckle. it should have come with the wheel studs and the o-ring according to the parts diagram...
Good point, you are correct based on OP's description.

Although I'm surprised he needs to get the entire assembly unless it was hit hard and potentially bent, otherwise there is no wear items in the knuckle portion, typically only the hub/bearing needs to be replaced when the bearing wears and gets noisy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good point, you are correct based on OP's description.

Although I'm surprised he needs to get the entire assembly unless it was hit hard and potentially bent, otherwise there is no wear items in the knuckle portion, typically only the hub/bearing needs to be replaced when the bearing wears and gets noisy.
yes, but wouldnt he need a press to do this? Probably just easier to replace the whole thing if youre doing it at home...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts