Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for other 9th gen accord MANUAL owners:

I've noticed this since I bought my car in mid 2013, but always forgot to post the question.
I've had previous manual transmission cars prior to the 9th Gen Accord but never had the issue of the Reverse gear not engaging but only grind as I roll back out of a slopped parking spot before putting it in reverse. I am only able to put it in reverse if I am at a complete stop. To continue, when I'm at a complete stop, I still have to play with it a few times to get it in the reverse gear.

Does anyone else have this same issue? is it normal? :dunno::dunno:
(Probably should have the dealer check it...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 09 6speed has the same issues

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm....then maybe it's normal?

I don't wanna feel like an idiot taking it to the dealer and then, them mess something up lol.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Completely normal. Reverse ins't synchronized. Don't engage reverse unless you are completely stopped. Simple as that. My '12 Si did the same thing and would complain loudly if I goofed up LOL.

·
2013 Accord Sport 6MT
120 Posts
I noticed this the other day as well. I put it in gear while rolling out of the drive way and grounded the gears pretty good. I sure its normal, just put it in gear while stopped.

Getting into reverse takes some getting use to. I usually move the stick all the way to the left (in neutral) before moving it right to put it into reverse. I think I read somewhere in the manual that said if reverse is locked, this will unlock it.

·
1 of a Kind
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try that next time.

This saved me so much time and wasted efforts at the dealer! :notworthy

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yeah that is completely normal. My 8th gen does the same thing. What i do if i cant get it into reverse, is put it into first gear, and then it goes into reverse no problem. I was worried about the same thing. You have nothing to worry about :)

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Normal but annoying. The Tremec 6060 in my Challenger did not do this. Once the reverse lock out opened you could go into reverse smoothly when rolling.

The downside going 1 -> 2nd was no so smooth... Take the good with the bad I guess.

Jay

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2014 6MT that is very stubborn with going into Reverse most of the time. Always from a dead stop (backing out of the garage, parking space). Attempting to go into 1st, then reverse doesn't make much of a difference. Can you potentially damage anything by 'forcing' it into reverse?

·
2020 best year
4,205 Posts
I have a 2014 6MT that is very stubborn with going into Reverse most of the time. Always from a dead stop (backing out of the garage, parking space). Attempting to go into 1st, then reverse doesn't make much of a difference. Can you potentially damage anything by 'forcing' it into reverse?
From what I know, most cars with standard trannies don't have a synchro on the reverse gear(because of how it is integrated), and in some cases, first gear(to cut cost).

This means you sometimes have to double clutch into reverse, which is a practice people had to do for every gear before synchroes were common, so when you can't get into R, just shift back into neutral, clutch out, clutch in again and shift into R. The Owner's Manual of my Corolla specifically said to do that when you cannot get into reverse, and this trick works every time. It should apply to any standard transmission without a synchro on the reverse gear. No need to force it.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
Registered
73 Posts
dmc3106, have you owned the car since new? Has it always done this. I have some issues with my second and third gear synchronizers occasionally which a fluid change I did helped a little, but reverse on my car always goes in easily, smoothly, and quietly. As others have said in the thread, reverse is not synchronized so you should only attempt to engage reverse at a full stop as you have been doing correctly.

If I usually had trouble getting the car into reverse which I could easily show the service adviser at the dealership, I would make a complaint.

In the meantime, have you tried shifting into the other gears before reverse to see if that helps besides first gear which you already tried without much difference? Just to be perfectly clear on the technique and repeat all steps, you have difficulty with reverse. Shift to neutral. Clutch out. Clutch in. Try reverse again. If that doesn't seem to help. Then shift back to neutral. Clutch out. Clutch in. Shift into 1st. Shift back into neutral. Clutch out. Clutch in. Try reverse again. Still having trouble, try next gear. Shift to neutral. Clutch out. Clutch in. Shift into 2nd. Shift back to neutral. Clutch out. Clutch in. Try reverse again. Etc. Maybe you can find a gear that will help consistently so that your new habit will be to start by shifting into that gear before attempting shifting into reverse. Not normal though.

·
Lebowski Urban Achiever
261 Posts
Every MT car I've owned has done this. I needed to completely stop the car before shifting into reverse or a nasty grind/clunk would occur. Reverse is a straight-cut gear (not helical like the forward gears) and non-synchronized.

What OP is getting is normal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Really appreciate the insight

X72 - I've only owned the car 4mos, purchased with 36K mi. on the odometer, so not sure what it was like when new.

I've tried the Shift into 1st, then in reverse and it seems to help a bit but it's definitely not as effortless as any 'forward' gear.

When it happens again, I'll try releasing the clutch slightly while in 1st, only enough to engage and roll slightly forward, then I'll try reverse and see if that helps

thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Really appreciate the insight

X72 - I've only owned the car 4mos, purchased with 36K mi. on the odometer, so not sure what it was like when new.

I've tried the Shift into 1st, then in reverse and it seems to help a bit but it's definitely not as effortless as any 'forward' gear.

When it happens again, I'll try releasing the clutch slightly while in 1st, only enough to engage and roll slightly forward, then I'll try reverse and see if that helps

thanks

Fresh oil seems to make a difference in how these cars shift. Trans fluid change is recommended at 24,000 miles

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Trans fluid change is recommended at 24,000 miles
Although it might help the OP, I doubt there is any official recommendation to change manual trans fluid at 24,000 miles. You're of course entitled to make your personal recommendation if you wish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts