Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having a 2003 and 2005 coupe and a 2002 sedan we picked up a 2005 EX-L sedan for my wife at a very nice price. Found a couple of small issues.

1. No heat - I think the Heater Control Valve is bad as I don't see it moving when the heat is turned on on either seat (dual climate controls). I thought I felt heat on the passenger side but when I checked again it had no heat either side. I did read a bunch of stuff on here about heat on the passenger side only and the cause being the heater core. Hopefully that's not the case.

2. Keys - The previous owner had two keys and both had no remote on the head. Almost like copies of the valet key except black heads (is there a lock the valet key will not work so I can test?).
The previous owner said the car had remote start and he knew a place that could get new remotes for $35. Bit of a language problem so I wasn't sure if he really meant door remote or remote start. Need to get contact info from him and see here that goes I guess.

What's the cheapest way to get remote master keys given we only have what appear to be two valet keys?

·
Roll Tide!
6,795 Posts
The dealer will likely reach deep into your wallet. You can get them online, get them cut somewhere else, and program them yourself. Here is one source:

https://www.remotesremotes.com/product-p/hon_oucg8d-4btn.htm

Pull the lower panel and kick panel and look for an aftermarket box from someone like DEI that looks out of place, which would be a great indication there is a remote start installed. Here is what you'll be looking for:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/1...hting/505458-can-yall-tell-me-what-gizmo.html

Sometimes, installers will place a decal or pin under the hood for safety so look there also.

My valet key has a grey head and does not work on the trunk or glove box.

EDIT: Added link to new thread with pics of box you'll be looking for.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Check the coolant level in the radiator & over flow bottle. If you think it may be a clogged heater core, you can try back flushing it (look on you-tube). Thermostat maybe ?

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,350 Posts
1. No heat - I think the Heater Control Valve is bad as I don't see it moving when the heat is turned on on either seat (dual climate controls). I thought I felt heat on the passenger side but when I checked again it had no heat either side. I did read a bunch of stuff on here about heat on the passenger side only and the cause being the heater core. Hopefully that's not the case.
Stuck water valve definitely can cause unsufficient coolant flowing through the heater core. A $15 part, I'd start from there first.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Heat: If the heater control valve is not moving then you need to check if the servo motor is burnt out, or if the valve is stuck

Valet key: You shouldn't be able to lock/unlock the glove compartment with the valet key.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
If the valve is not moving, or even the linkage, try spraying some silicone(or similar) on the linkage and moving it back and forth a bit by hand...while someone is turning the temp switch, back and forth, slowly....it just may "un-stick" itself.
Don't force it though!
When I bought my car, used, I actually had to do this, and it has never gotten stuck since.. *knocks on wood*..

Re: keys..going to the dealer and having them programmed(and guaranty they'll work) seems like a no hassle way to make sure everything's correct, especially if you got a good price on the car.
I simply don't have the time and/or couldn't be bothered trying to program my own keys..but, that's me.:/

(is there a lock the valet key will not work so I can test?)
It should not work on the trunk/gas door lock, by the seat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dual climate control is finnicky on the 7th gen. Atleast with my experience, anyway. It never works properly with it on, but without it everything works perfectly fine, minus the ability to self-control the climate for both the driver and passenger separately with dual climate control on.

I never use it and never really saw a use for it, anyway, even if it worked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regarding Valet Key

Like Aviography said: Valet key: You shouldn't be able to lock/unlock the glove compartment with the valet key.

Also. on my '07 you cant lock/unlock the trunk/gas door release on the floor.

I just bought a 07 Accord 4cyl 5sp with 85k for $3500 from a private party. It only had one valet key with no remotes. I had an extra valet key made at a local Ace Hardware for $30, they have equipment to program the immobilizer chip. I called around to a few locksmiths and they wanted $150-$180 to create a new Master key. The dealership was even more ridiculous. I ended up buying two remotes with blank keys on Amazon for $15 ea, best price I've seen anywhere.

search for KeylessOption Keyless Entry Remote Control Uncut Car Ignition Key Fob Replacement for OUCG8D-380H-A $14.95. I couldn't post the link because I'm a new member without enough posts.

Unfortunately the Ace hardware store couldn't program the immobilizer chip on the remotes from Amazon. The local locksmiths in my area wouldn't work on any blanks other than there own. So I programmed the remotes for the doors and trunk release. I took a hacksaw and cut off the blank key from the remotes. I now have two functioning valet keys and two functioning remotes for $60. I won't have a Master key to lock the gas door, trunk release or glove box. That's not a big deal to me on a 11 year old car.

·
Cruising in Montana
4,180 Posts
I just bought a 07 Accord 4cyl 5sp with 85k for $3500 from a private party.
Wow, 85k on an 11 year old car.

I can understand locksmiths not wanting to cut keys they didn't provide. They get their blanks from reputable suppliers that they've worked with for a long time. If the key you supply is made of stainless steel for example, that will destroy the bit in their key cutter. I needed a new key for my previous car and bought one online, then took it to the local 'smith for cutting. They told me if it damages their bit, they'll charge me for the job and a new bit. I said ok, and it worked out fine.

Still had to go to the dealer to get the new key paired to the car....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turns out the heater core was clogged. Back flushed it pretty strongly and now have tons of heat on the passenger side but the driver's side still blows cold. Apparently that's a common problem?

Haven't had time to investigate the keys yet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts