Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2007 4cly honda accord
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my car is just below 60k miles, im gonna do the maintainance this weekend, change engin oil and filter which i got...but im also gonna change the sparkpkugs and the Automatic transmission fluid and filter...here are my questions..
1. Which transmission fluid should i use? How do i change the filter? Which filter should i use?

2. Which kind of spark plugs should i use, what else should i check or change pertaining to the spark plugs

thank you very much...all help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
312 Posts
You'll find that most recommend Honda's Z1 ATF. Some here are against it and use other ATFs. I use Z1 personally, and order it from Handa Accessories online because the dealers charge way more than the online price + shipping in my area.

Here's an informative thread on the transmission filter for 4 cylinder Accords and how to replace it.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14699

I ordered a Magnafine filter myself but haven't been able to replace it. The clamps holding the tubes are insanely tight and I need to buy locking pliers to finish the job.

Your spark plugs should be fine until 100,000 miles, but if you do replace them, buy original OEM plugs.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
You should only use Honda Z1 ATF. From what I understand, do not flush the transmission fluid. You have to do a series of drain and fills to properly change the transmission fluid. As stated above, you don't need to change your spark plugs until the 100,000 mile tune up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Changing plus isn't a bad idea. Did mine at 46K

·
aka 'The Gif King'
803 Posts
Yeah use the Drain & fill method, also stick to Honda ATFs. I guess you can change your spark plugs if you want to. But considering you're under 60,000 I don't see the need for you to.

But if you do plan on changing your oil, oil filter, spark plugs and all that good stuff. Just spend the extra 9 bucks, stop by autozone and buy a SEAFOAM bottle... then after you do that, THEN you can change everything.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,509 Posts
You shouldn't need spark plugs now, but use only NGK or Denso plugs indicated in the owner's manual. Have you checked the brakes yet? Engine air filter, cabin air filter, brake fluid flush?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Trade it for a newer car.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Best thing I did was get rid of the Honda ATF in mine. I switched to BG full synthetic with an additive. BG pays me if my trans fails, I believe it's $2500, not bad when it has a 100K warranty. Our BG rep brought in a trans fluid comparison and Honda ATF ranked worst. I'm not sure what they were testing.e

·
2007 4cly honda accord
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well as far as the spark plugs, it couldnt hurt right....the reason i wanted to change them is because the car seems to idle a tad bit more rough than i would expect a 4 cylander to ( do they all idle a tad bit rough?)....for the transmission fluid, is it required or recommended to also change the filter, or is getting new fluid in there ok?...the air filter and cabin air filter were just changed. thanks again for all the suggestions and help everyone

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just read the owners manual and follow the maintenance schedule. I would just stick with what Honda recommends as far as plugs and fluids. I've followed the maintenance schedule and have had no problems. A lot of people on here like to use expensive additives, expensive synthetics and pump premium gas (all with, at best, questionable benefits) as if their Accord was a Lamborghini. I've never heard of Seafoam in my life, and have never needed it for anything. I've even used, heaven forbid, conventional oil for the 8 years I've owned the car with no issues. I replaced my plugs, as indicated, at 105,000 miles. There is no need to waste money replacing expensive car parts before their time or pouring expensive synthetics into the engine and transmission, unless you have money to burn.

I love my Accord and hope it lasts 15 years. I've made it almost 8 years following Honda's recommendations without any issues.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I used Honda Z1 for the first 120k miles then switched to Maxlife ATF because the Z1 was getting overpriced in my opinion. I dont think it matters as long as it gets changed (drain & refill) every 20 or 30k miles.
On changing spark plugs, I am still running the factory NGK platinum plugs at 129k miles. No problems starting and the gas mileage has remained constant, so why change?

·
Registered
39 Posts
well as far as the spark plugs, it couldnt hurt right....the reason i wanted to change them is because the car seems to idle a tad bit more rough than i would e:thmsup:?...the air filter and cabin air filter were just changed. thanks again for all the suggestions and help everyone
I can tell you that when I changed my spark plugs at 100,000 they still looked fairly good so I would wait. Iridium plugs are phenomenal. I have a rough idle as well, I was told the engine mounts are notorious for breaking and mine were shattered. Might want to look into that. Good job maintaining your car properly, I wish more people would
:thmsup:

·
2007 4cly honda accord
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive never done the seafome thing, ive heard of it but never tried it, how do you do it? do you guys have a recommended website where i can buy the Z1 ATF, and should i replace the filter as well? the manual doesnt say too...how many quarts of the oil should i buy? my car still has 4 years extended warenty so ill have to take it in and have em check the mounts, thank you....also when im going at a moderatly slow speed...the car seems to take extra long shifting into 2nd gear...is that normal?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I can tell you that when I changed my spark plugs at 100,000 they still looked fairly good so I would wait. Iridium plugs are phenomenal. I have a rough idle as well, I was told the engine mounts are notorious for breaking and mine were shattered. Might want to look into that. Good job maintaining your car properly, I wish more people would
:thmsup:
Searching this and other boards for NGK/Denso Iridium plug life - - - - I can echo: IRIDIUM PLUGS ARE PHENOMINAL. Folks are reporting plug life far in excess of the 105,000 factory changeout marker. 129,000, 139,000, 159,000 - - - - even one report of circa 185,000 on the original OEM Iridium spark plugs. I am indeed impressed. Even at $10 or so per plug!!!

ez...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts