Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Tampa FL
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the mods I am interested in doing is a Cold Air Intake (CAI); but I have a couple of questions and I could not find any information about it

1- I see that the OEM intake has some wires and hoses attached to it; will the CAI have the same mounting points for these wires and hoses, or do I have to disconnect some of them?

2- To be on the safe side should I replace the OEM filter whenever I take the car to the dealer?

What are your experiences with CAI?

I used to have one on my 1992 Civic, but that was a heavily modded car and a more simple engine (B16B); and my new Accord is under warranty (plus my wife will be asking me these questions)

Thanks in advance for any help and pointers

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Biggest waste of money out there....

Your "butt" dyno will swear that you are gaining what the manufacturer claims: 10-20hp. That's because it makes NOISE. Use an actual dyno and you will find you were ripped off. Many of these systems actually cause a loss of power at low and mid-range. At wide open throttle, you may gain 2hp.

And yes, you pull up to the dealer with that thing on your engine and you can say goodnight to your warranty. I used to race my Twin Turbo and had access to a dyno- I passed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gCi2yo4UqPI

·
Banned
113 Posts

Your "butt" dyno will swear that you are gaining what the manufacturer claims: 10-20hp. That's because it makes NOISE. Use an actual dyno and you will find you were ripped off. Many of these systems actually cause a loss of power at low and mid-range. At wide open throttle, you may gain 2hp.

And yes, you pull up to the dealer with that thing on your engine and you can say goodnight to your warranty. I used to race my Twin Turbo and had access to a dyno- I passed.

You sir are wrong it does NOT void your warranty. Also it does add more hp than you give it credit.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
No, I am correct. Use a real dyno. 1-2 HP at wide open throttle. And a loss of HP at low to mid-range. But sure sounds good.

e.g. Mr. Fast and Furious pulls up to the dealer with his aftermarket cold air intake system on his 3 month old engine, complains of hesitation and lousy mpg.

Mr. Dealer takes one look at the oil-soaked air filter, realizes it has not been cleaned, and finds all kinds of oil, dirt, and even small particles covered in oil, all over the MAF and intake, and tells you dirt and who knows what got into your engine. Yeah, I can see Honda rushing to help you out- not.

·
Banned
113 Posts
No, I am correct. Use a real dyno. 1-2 HP at wide open throttle. And a loss of HP at low to mid-range. But sure sounds good.

e.g. Mr. Fast and Furious pulls up to the dealer with his aftermarket cold air intake system on his 3 month old engine, complains of hesitation and lousy mpg.

Mr. Dealer takes one look at the oil-soaked air filter, realizes it has not been cleaned, and finds all kinds of oil, dirt, and even small particles covered in oil, all over the MAF and intake, and tells you dirt and who knows what got into your engine. Yeah, I can see Honda rushing to help you out- not.

Mr.derp that's why you don't use an oiled cone airfilter. :naughty:

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Look, these guys in the video I linked to have British accents, that HAS to be good for 5-10 IQ points, right?

·
Banned
113 Posts
Look, these guys in the video I linked to have British accents, that HAS to be good for 5-10 IQ points, right?
Lol respectable point :naughty:... I have seen plenty of evedence , along with personal testimony that lead me to the justification of buying an intake. If only to aid in sound so be it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
To me is worth it just for the sound I have an Injen CAI in my 07 Accord V6 and I love how it sounds,but 200 dollars is not cheap, some people decide to upgrade the sway bars with the TL ones instead of the intake and that would improve the handling of the car.If you think you will have more performance then I don't recommend it.

Rick is right about the 2HP gain thats maybe as much as you'll get and improve MPG is also not true at least in my case I didn't notice an increase in gas mileage. I also noticed a little better throttle response but thats maybe just in my head who knows lol...

And yea I always use a dry cone filter with a hydroshield on top so it doesn't **** any water to the engine you probably heard the consequences of that.
If you live in a place that rains too much then a CAI is not a good idea.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Juan is making me think here....I had one of these on my old Civic. I actually like them, especially the sound. But I bought the CAI used for $40-$50 and it was worth it to me.

I just want to say to the original poster that to add this to his brand new 2014 Accord may not be wise. When the car is out of warranty? Fine. But now? Don't do it.

And Gents, thanks for pointing out the dry cone vs. oiled cone thing to me. If you do it, go with dry....

·
Registered
135 Posts
In that case in a Brand new car I wouldn't do it either, walking to the dealer and when they open the hood and see the CAI Intake the first thing the tech is going to think that he is abusing the car that is the perception most people have I guess. Sure they have to prove that the intake cause the problem if you ran into a problem, but they are going to give you a hard time.

To the OP if I were to do that I would do it as Rick said after the 60,000 mile warranty. :thmsup:

·
Registered
884 Posts
So much fail in these posts.

·
Registered
884 Posts

1. That video is BS. They use some garbage cheap ass eBay intake and put on an old POS car.

2. I've said this a thousand times THE DEALER CANNOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A MOD.

·
Banned
113 Posts
1. That video is BS. They use some garbage cheap ass eBay intake and put on an old POS car.

2. I've said this a thousand times THE DEALER CANNOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A MOD.
The takeda is a well developed product. It irks me these guys don't know what they're talking about. The same to the lady that told me it would void my warranty **** off with that shit geezers...

·
Registered
884 Posts
This thread is full of grandpas..
Yup!

You'll blow your engine.
You'll get a few microns of dirt in your oil.
You'll just race it around and get tickets.
More air=more fuel, you're just wasting gas.
The millions of air intakes sold in the past 50 years were all lies.
Race cars don't even have intakes.
If intakes were so great, why don't they come on the car from the factory?

·
Registered
135 Posts
2. I've said this a thousand times THE DEALER CANNOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A MOD.[/QUOTE]

Yes we know that, but still they will try to give you crap about it. Yes we also know that that dealer has to prove that the mod cause the problem no one is arguing that.

·
Registered
884 Posts
It's simple. If your car has a major failure, reinstall the stock intake and bring it to the dealer. I've never had a problem with warranty work and mods.

·
Tampa FL
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
Those are Australian accents lol

·
Banned
13,101 Posts

Young Johnathon:

1) A Nissan Skyline is a POS car?!?! Unless you actually dyno the car before/after- don't tell me it gives you 20hp, because it does not. I've tested and used CAI, and I never got more than 10hp gain from one- and that was because it was designed specifically for my car and my intent. Regardless if the car is a POS or a new Accord, if the intake was not made specifically for the ride then you will be wasting money.

2) Agreed- but please STOP SHOUTING at me. But no one is saying that, are they? The dealer can refuse your warranty because of what the mod did.

Please don't tell me you are reading the HP gains on the side of the box and believing that hype? It's all marketing.

Gives you 20 - 30 HP gains!
Chicks will dig you!
Helps you move out of your P's basement!

that's right, it filets it chops it dices slices
never stops lasts a lifetime mows your lawn
and it mows your lawn and it picks up the kids from school...

if not completely satisfied mail back unused portion of product
for complete refund of price of purchase
step right up
please allow thirty days for delivery don't be fooled by cheap imitations...

and it entertains visiting relatives it turns a sandwich into a banquet
tired of being the life of the party?
change your shorts change your life change your life
change into a nine-year-old Hindu boy get rid of your wife
and it walks your dog and it doubles on sax....

how do we do it how do we do it how do we do it how do we do it
we need your business we're going out of business
we'll give you the business
- (from the song "Step Right Up" by Tom Waits)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts