Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im looking to pick up some dedicated winter tires and wheels from craigslist. I am posting in the 9th gen section instead of the tire/wheel section because I have questions that will pertain to this gen only.

Someone is selling their wheels/tires from their Mazda 3. The wheels are just steelies from tire rack and the tires are the General Altimax Artics (205/60/16). They have rougly 2000 miles and were used for one season. He is asking $300 for the set.

Wheel Specs-
Lug Pattern- 5x114.3
Hub Bore- 67.1
Offset- +55

My question here is will my Sport Calipers clear these wheels? I understand I will need to get some hub centric rings aswell. Should I get plastic or metal? And are these tires as floaty as people say on the highway?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I went head and bought these. Mounted on the car without any modification. Speedo and GPS speeds are bang on. And my mpg's have shot through the roof. Ill see how they perform later tonight.

Before & After

·
Banned
784 Posts
Well I went head and bought these. Mounted on the car without any modification. Speedo and GPS speeds are bang on. And my mpg's have shot through the roof. Ill see how they perform later tonight.
Make sure you are using the correct lug nuts (Acorn or Acorn Bulge with 3/4 Hex and 12 mm x 1.5 thread (http://www.brandsport.com/grla-41138.html). You cannot use ball seat lugs if your steel rims are not set for that. I hope you are not using the lug nuts from your Honda OEM wheels.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure you are using the correct lug nuts (Acorn or Acorn Bulge with 3/4 Hex and 12 mm x 1.5 thread (http://www.brandsport.com/grla-41138.html). You cannot use ball seat lugs if your steel rims are not set for that. I hope you are not using the lug nuts from your Honda OEM wheels.
Thanks for the insight. I did use Acorn Lugs. Forgot to include that in the OP hopefully it helps someone out in the future.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts

Before & After
I feel really really bad for your Accord right now. Kinda like you made it wear this sweater all winter. All the other Accords and Audis and BMWs are gonna laugh at him till spring comes around :)

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I feel really really bad for your Accord right now. Kinda like you made it wear this sweater all winter. All the other Accords and Audis and BMWs are gonna laugh at him till spring comes around :)
Dudes in college trying to make a future for himself. I'm sure he had better things to spend his $$$ on. Like books, tuition, cover charges, beer. Cut him some slack.

Jay

·
1,655 Posts
Great tires and a wise choice in these parts. Smart move all around by the OP.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
OP: What about the date code? The four digit tire code from the tires? In other words, how old are they?

I ask because amongst family and friends here in Chicago, I am the "car guy" and get asked about wheels/tires on Craigslist all the time. I see many CL tire ads that NEVER have their tread depth listed (instead, the seller says "lots of tread left") and no mention of the date code (some are seven/eight years old).

And I am with you on winter tires....after this winter, I am getting some steelies and dedicated winter tires. I don't give a darn about how they look, only how well they work.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Dudes in college trying to make a future for himself. I'm sure he had better things to spend his $$$ on. Like books, tuition, cover charges, beer. Cut him some slack.

Jay
Just a joke about a car's wheels, not someone's mama or their dead grandma or something.....nobody has much levity on this board.....

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Also make sure the wheel is supported on the hub and not on the studs. Why not use the OEM lugs though?

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
+1 on hub question....

OP said steelies are 67.1 hub size
9th Gen FAQ lists Accord wheel hubs as 64.1 (7th, 8th, and 9th Gen Accords)

Thus, even though they seem to "fit" (i.e. bolt on) they will do damage unless hub rings are used (they may have come with the steelies already- not sure what hub size the Mazda 3 used)

Also, as mentioned, the steelies may require a different lug nut style. Again, the Honda/Acura lugs may "bolt on", but damage will incur unless those steelies are made for Honda/Acura lugs. This is also in the FAQ.

And again- I don't give a darn what some BMW, Audi, or another Accord owner thinks of my winter wheels. The only people I try to impress are the local toughs- which is a life-rewarding experience. Here is a dancing banana.:banana:

·
6200 rpm
208 Posts
So it's kinda funny that I've been considering getting the same sport rims you're swapping off, specifically for winter with snow tires. I am currently running 19's and I held onto the stock 17's with the intention of swapping on snow tires for winter use. But honestly the stock wheels I see all the time on other Accords make me cringe. The cost of a set of winter tires got pushed off to next Fall since I had to outlay for the 19's. Still not sure what route I'm going to go.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Why not use the OEM lugs though?
Majority of steel and after market rims are conical style (where the wheel stud and lug nut interface) so your ball seat lug can work but it is not designed to give you a perfect (or optimal) fit. You can also damage your lug nuts (Honda lug nuts are $3-$4 a piece). The Acorn or Acorn Bulge (for Conical style rim) lug nuts have 60 degree tapering and Ball Seat has different tapering.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=129370

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I really gave a shit what Audi and BMW owners think I wouldn't have bought an Accord. I bet your one of those form over function guys. I'd rather not end up in a ditch or not wreck my new car, which could impact my education. :wave:

Jay
Jay when we get some more snow we should do a comparison on our tires. Might help out some people here on the forums in the future.

Thanks! Nice to hear from another person from the District.

OP: What about the date code? The four digit tire code from the tires? In other words, how old are they?

I ask because amongst family and friends here in Chicago, I am the "car guy" and get asked about wheels/tires on Craigslist all the time. I see many CL tire ads that NEVER have their tread depth listed (instead, the seller says "lots of tread left") and no mention of the date code (some are seven/eight years old).

And I am with you on winter tires....after this winter, I am getting some steelies and dedicated winter tires. I don't give a darn about how they look, only how well they work.
Date code was 1011 so they are relatively new. Guy had receipts and everything.Tread Depth was 10/32. However none of that was provided to me by the seller. I had to read up on how to do that from tire rack before buying.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
If I really gave a shit what Audi and BMW owners think I wouldn't have bought an Accord.

Date code was 1011 so they are relatively new. Guy had receipts and everything.Tread Depth was 10/32. However none of that was provided to me by the seller. I had to read up on how to do that from tire rack before buying.
Machine....not human.:thmsup:

Good job. You didn't buy them, you stole them for that price/condition.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Great move getting these dedicated winter tires & wheels!! Also will help save condition of your alloys with salt everywhere. Winter is about safety & not looks, wish I had bought winter tires for mine but couldn't find a used set. So in bad weather lucklily I can work from home and use my wife's AWD CRV as needed.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
If I really gave a shit what Audi and BMW owners think I wouldn't have bought an Accord. I bet your one of those form over function guys. I'd rather not end up in a ditch or not wreck my new car, which could impact my education. :wave:
Nope I'm not actually. I'm a total function guy, and a bit of a cheapskate too. So no I would never waste money on body kits and stuff. Actually I take that back. I did spend a few bucks to put in LEDs in the various interior bulbs, and I spent $95 to install the All Star HID kit which many of the optical engineers on this board will tell you is purely for looks as they are 101% convinced that it is worse than the normal halogens.

If I were gonna get snow tires I might get a set of alloy wheels or at least some steelies with plastic wheel covers. But I'm too frugal or practical or whatever to get snow tires. This has been one heck of a winter and my Accord gets around just fine with the OEM Michelins.

I would, however, be mighty careful about putting on wheels that might not be 100% correct as some above have questioned. I admit I don't have an informed view on that topic but it sounds pretty scary if someone is saying the wheel might not be riding correctly, etc. That could quickly negate the small benefit of snow tires if you're gonna ruin something else.

·
Banned
784 Posts
But I'm too frugal or practical or whatever to get snow tires. This has been one heck of a winter and my Accord gets around just fine with the OEM Michelins.
One accident in the snow or on ice will cost you at least $500-$1000 (depending on your deductible amount) and sans snow tires. If you are truly frugal, you must consider risk as well.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
One accident in the snow or on ice will cost you at least $500-$1000 (depending on your deductible amount) and sans snow tires. If you are truly frugal, you must consider risk as well.
True. I don't think any tire can stop on ice, and my tires seem to be doing fine in some pretty snowy conditions. Probably equally or more important is the driver in all this.....drive reasonably when the conditions are poor

1 - 20 of 63 Posts