Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a new Accord LX, LX-P or SE and getting a Parrot Kit for bluetooth. I assume all of those models have the exact same factory radio.

I will be using an HTC EVO as the phone for now and would get an iPhone 4 if I switch to Verizon.

I'm considering a Parrot MKi9000 with the Honda installation harness. Does the UNIKA steering wheel control kits work with the 2011 Accord LX radio? Pictures only show a Civic steering wheel.

What mode does the radio have to be in to use the streaming audio coming from the Parrot kit and do you lose use of the factory AUX input when you install the MKI 9000? Does it still mute for calls even when you are listing to AM/FM radio or CD?

Assuming everything is compatible, it looks like I would need these items:
Parrot MKi9000 Advanced Bluetooth hands-free car kit for iPod
Parrot P1090020AB Steering Wheel Mounted Control Interface for Parrot MKi and RKi
Metra - Car Bluetooth hands-free wiring harness

How can I be sure to get the correct model install kit and steering wheel control kit for the car model I get or are they compatible with all Hondas?

The parts total about $300 if I get them from Amazon.com and I assume a stereo shop can install it for under $200, so I would be looking at $500 total unless I have to buy the parts from the audio shop at higher prices for the shop to do the install. It would have many more features than the Honda bluetooth accessory installed by the dealer and cost less.

Another option would be to just get the $99 Parrot CK3000 model and the Blackberry music gateway for bluetooth music. I think the MKi9000 might be easier to deal with and I get a bonus of the USB and iPod ports.

Anyone here have similar setup on their 8th generation Accord?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I (stupidly) got the Honda bluetooth kit so I dont have the parrot one.

These questions need to be answered a licensed retailer, but in any case on the Parrot website they do specify exactly what car models are compatible - if the new accord isnt listed, call them to make sure.

Also, for $500 you can just go to any stereo shop that sells them and though you pay full price for the parts they typically do the install for free... so make sure you shop around before trying to save $50 by buying online.

PS: I once bought a head unit online and when I paid the shop $50 to install it they came back saying it wouldn't turn on... there was no way for me to find out the truth and I ended up just buying something from them that was guaranteed to work. Just saying that some shops will find ways to make you buying online impossible.

Good luck.

·
Registered
437 Posts
One reason to buy online is to get the correct parts. The shop might not have exact parts for the wiring harness and steering wheel control kit for your specific model and they either won't be able to do the job or will try to jerry rig something that isn't designed for your car using whatever they have ready to sell. It isn't all about saving $50.
Maybe I can buy the bluetooth kit from them assuming they carry the MKi9000 and order the steering wheel control kit and wiring harness in advance.
Even if they keep generic Honda wiring harnesses for the Parrot in stock it's really unlikely they will have the specific steering wheel control kit for my car on hand.

http://www.parrot.com/support/Pdf_manual/RKI8400674.pdf

It's pretty clear that the Unika steerimg wheel control adapter is compatable with the European Honda Accord. Their compatability list is geared towards cars sold in Europe. http://www.expansys.com/i/misc/parrot_unika_compatibility.pdf

The question remains is if it also works with the US Accord.

I'm surprised nobody with a US 2008 to 2011 Accord has tried this yet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Parrot+...218195465668&skuId=9921915&st=unika&cp=1&lp=1

I tried calling Parrot sales and they had no answer to the question because their computer system was down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts