Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mod it or don't drive it
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the keys in the car and the car locked (running or not) you can open the car from the outside. Does this hold true if the car is in drive, but stopped? I need to test this out as I just had a thought about driving through a bad neighborhood and someone tries to get in my car at a stop light. Them being able to get into my car would not turn out well for them....

·
Mod it or don't drive it
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even that seems scary. What's the point of a lock then?
Perhaps there's a way to customize the feature. It's good if you lock your keys in the car, but other than that...

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
From what I can remember, you can only lock your doors from the inside of the car if your keys are inside the car. I thought the sensor on the door handle would only activate if the key is nearby the exterior of the door.

There are plenty of times I was sitting inside my car with the key in my pocket, and passengers failed to get in because I didn't unlock the door for them. They couldn't simply open the door because there was a key present in the car.

·
Elvira
3,586 Posts
From what I can remember, you can only lock your doors from the inside of the car if your keys are inside the car. I thought the sensor on the door handle would only activate if the key is nearby the exterior of the door.

There are plenty of times I was sitting inside my car with the key in my pocket, and passengers failed to get in because I didn't unlock the door for them. They couldn't simply open the door because there was a key present in the car.
I can attest to that also.

Miker

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The auto lock and auto unlock features can be customized. To lock the doors when either the car reaching 10 MPH or shifting the transmission out of Park. To unlock the doors when all Doors, when driver’s door opens / All Doors when shifted to park /All Doors When Ignition Switched Off/Off

These settings are located in the Vehicle Settings on the iMid screen. It's all in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
With the keys in the car and the car locked (running or not) you can open the car from the outside. Does this hold true if the car is in drive, but stopped? I need to test this out as I just had a thought about driving through a bad neighborhood and someone tries to get in my car at a stop light. Them being able to get into my car would not turn out well for them....
I actually don't think this is possible to do and I'd be really surprised if Honda designed the car this way. Think about it...the point of having car locks is to prevent people from getting into your car if you don't want them to. Would Honda design a car so that when you're out late at night with your family, a person could just walk up to it and open the doors at a red light or stop sign?

I read through the owner's manual and I couldn't find exactly where this is spelled out but I'm pretty certain once you lock the doors from the inside they stay locked and can't be unlocked from the outside (even when your Smart Entry FOB is inside the car).

Now if you're on the outside of your car with your key FOB with you and your about 32" from the driver's or passenger's door, it is possible for another person standing near you to open the door on their own. But once you're inside and locked up, nobody can get in unless you unlock the doors from inside yourself.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
OP you can't open the door with the car running. This is why the remote start on EX+ models turns the engine off before you can get in.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think you are confused some where about how the locks work.

Doors that are locked regardless of key inside or not cannot be opened unless the car unlocks it.

You can't lock the keyfob in the car only way to logically do this is to open door use driver or passenger side lock button inside the car and close the door with key inside under this condition the car will automatically unlock immediately after you close the door.

Another experiment you can try roll down the windows put the key inside the car and reach in to lock the car like you were inside and see if you can open the doors. It should not open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts