Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
.Net developer
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really don't like the DRL's and how they stay on. i know some people say its for safety and that statistics do show that people are less likely to get into accidents with them on than if they weren't on, yadda yadda yadda..

my question is what are some other options? Would it be possible to put some white bulbs (not HID's, just some plain Sylvania bulbs or something similar) in there? Or is there a way to turn them off by unplugging a fuse or something? and if u did do that, would it cause a warning light to come on? i'm just trying to get some feedback regarding this bc i'm totally clueless.. thanks! :nuts:

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
I just unplugged fuse #15(I think) from the drivers side fuse box. Look in the manual for exact location, should be labeled "daytime running lights"

I have heard that a light would appear after pulling this, but is not the case for me.

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
You can either pull the fuse (which is listed in your manuel) or pull the relay. I pulled my fuse and yes....the DRL warning light appears.

I havent tried it yet but you could see if a voltage sinking resitor would work. It would be put in place of the fuse. It would absorb all the voltage from the system. Depends on which side of the fuse the DRL light is connected too. You need the warning light to think the lights are ON but you need the lights themselves to be off. I would need a wireing diagram or schematic to really be able to tell whats the best way.

Edit: I think this topic is a dead horse....did you trying searching? This info should be in here

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
If you look at all the other threads posted about this I'm sure you would find the answer.

I don't understand how you cannot like the DRL's on. You, as the driver, don't even see them and they are only on during the day, which you can't see the output in front of you anyways? I mean how is this bothersome to people?

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
If you look at all the other threads posted about this I'm sure you would find the answer.

I don't understand how you cannot like the DRL's on. You, as the driver, don't even see them and they are only on during the day, which you can't see the output in front of you anyways? I mean how is this bothersome to people?
Because it doesn't look cool, I guess :dunno: There's a hell of a lot of people on this forum who prefer looks over safety. Just their age and immaturity.

·
I snapped my G string....
3,865 Posts
^+1. If you really don't like them, then just pull the fuse. On the 8th gen the DRL light does not come on. I removed it once but then put it back on after a while.

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
How long did you have it out for? I thought someone posted this same crap but said he had the DRL light .. or I think he didn't like the DRL's because the dim blue lighted icon on the dash ..

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
You can either pull the fuse (which is listed in your manuel) or pull the relay. I pulled my fuse and yes....the DRL warning light appears.

I havent tried it yet but you could see if a voltage sinking resitor would work. It would be put in place of the fuse. It would absorb all the voltage from the system. Depends on which side of the fuse the DRL light is connected too. You need the warning light to think the lights are ON but you need the lights themselves to be off. I would need a wireing diagram or schematic to really be able to tell whats the best way.

Edit: I think this topic is a dead horse....did you trying searching? This info should be in here
On the 7th gen the DRL indicator on the dashboard comes on when you remove the fuse. This is not the case on the 8th gen.

·
3,865 Posts
How long did you have it out for? I thought someone posted this same crap but said he had the DRL light .. or I think he didn't like the DRL's because the dim blue lighted icon on the dash ..
I had mine out for like a month. I put the fuse back in, because I felt the car was broken. :dunno:

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's a 7.5 amps fuse, located under the driver's column where the pedals are.
It's fuse #15.

And I have a 2010 EX-L V6 and the DRL warning light does not appear.

The dimmed blue high beam indicator is no longer there, unless I switch on high-beams then it comes on (not dimmed).

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
Is there a way to turn the DRL's off without the warning light coming on?

1. Is there three wires going to the high beam socket? can you just remove the wire the delivers current for DRL's and leave the wire that connects to the high beam circuit?

2. Can you just ad a strong resistor in line where the fuse used to be?

·
.Net developer
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i guess the reason is bc i don't like how they are like a 'low-battery orange' looking color compared to my HID's... is it possible to change out the bulb to a bright white one instead? or is that not a good idea... ?:dunno:

·
3,865 Posts
i guess the reason is bc i don't like how they are like a 'low-battery orange' looking color compared to my HID's... is it possible to change out the bulb to a bright white one instead? or is that not a good idea... ?:dunno:
DRL run on half the voltage. Even if you were to put a brighter, whiter bulb, it will still be a amber color. Alot of ppl including myself have changed the bulb to a yellow bulb, and I like the way it looks and I was told by some of my buddies that its bright.

Here is a shot with them off..

And on as DRL..

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
I personally dont like the DRL's because I feel like im driving a volvo....a big square, bass ugly volvo that my grandmother drives. I think Ill take the risk of making my car .002% more unsafe. Maybe put a set of racing brakes on the car to help nuetralize the risk when you take the DRL's out lol

I dont see why not. As long as you stick with a halogen bulb. I found the sylvania bulbs not to be any whiter then normal bulbs (but I had it in an old jeep with bad refelctors).

I might try to get some really blue chinese stuff off ebay. Had a set on my subaru and they looked like a really nice white. As white as you can get with halogen bulbs at least.

The only thing is that because the DRL's are just low powered high beams, that might affect color no matter what color bulb you put in. ie you put in blue blubs, but with low wattage the bulb still might look yellowish.

Maybe go in the opposite direction....Try really yellow bulbs instead. I have seem a few cars here on the forum that look pretty nice. It looks almost like fog lights up in your head light housings. Just a thought...

EDIT: Honda247....you posted that right before me! Great minds think alike lol

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
How do you feel like you are driving a different car when you don't even see the DRL's is what I'm saying. Of course they aren't bright as HID's, they aren't for daytime use. I hate seeing people driving around with them on during the day, senseless. It's like having your foglights on during the day time when the sun is shining.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
I personally dont like the DRL's because I feel like im driving a volvo....a big square, bass ugly volvo that my grandmother drives.
Yeah, because driving an Accord is sooooo cooooool, right :dunno:

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
How do you feel like you are driving a different car when you don't even see the DRL's is what I'm saying. Of course they aren't bright as HID's, they aren't for daytime use. I hate seeing people driving around with them on during the day, senseless. It's like having your foglights on during the day time when the sun is shining.

Using what Honda calls foglights is actually senseless all the time - they do nothing to make you safer at night. :lmao:

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
I thought someone around here had LED DRL's, but I can't exactly look that up in the search feature.
LED DRLs are the way to go - as long as they're not LED replacements of a 9005 bulb.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts