Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard you're supposed to replace the tranny fluid every 30k. ... Is this regardless if you drive more city vs highway?

90% of the driving done in our Accord is city driving

First time tranny fluid was replaced, was at 68k.. but of course, the dealer only drains and refills it once..

So since the Accord will hit 90k next oil change, I was wondering if I should replace the tranny fluid next oil change, or wait the full 30k untill 98k. Or wait until the Maintenance Minder tells me :dunno:

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Todd, I hear all sorts of things too. :)

The good book says to change the AUTOMATIC transmission fluid "at 60,000 miles or 3 years, then every 30,000 miles or two years." But as mentioned here, Honda revised that as there were a few problems with transmissions.

But enough about Honda, let's talk about you. You are driving a 7 year old car with 90,000 miles on the odometer. Your transmission holds 6.9 quarts of transmission fluid. When the dealer "replaced" (your choice of words) it, it was at 68,000 miles. You admit that they probably only did 1 drain and fill. That only replaced 43% of the transmission fluid.

So that means 43% of your transmission fluid has been in your car for 22,000 miles, and 57% has been in for 7 years!

I would advise you to do 3 drain and fills to have 82% "new" fluid, then how you refresh it is up to you. Some members do 1 drain and fill every oil change (but what is their oil change interval? 3,000 miles? 5,000 miles? 10,000 miles?) and some do 1 every other oil change. Some do it at 15,000 miles. Some wait 25,000 or 30,000 and do 3 drain and fills. This thread can be filled with all kinds of suggestions to spark debate and learning.

But....for now.....do 3 drain and fills and replace your automatic transmission's filter. You have one, ya know. And it's been there for 7 years.

It is posted trans questions such as this when I miss member "Mike W"......

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
If what you're saying is correct, your accord has had a single drain and fill and you're now at 90K. You could wait, but why? Just drain it now and refill 3x, replacing the filter at the last fill (drive car in between to circulate fluid). Going forward, if you drain and fill every 30k, you won't need to do a 3x ever again.

Edit: After typing that, I realized that you may not be doing the work yourself. Is that the case?

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Todd,

This write-up is from member "Armystrong" and shows you how to do a drain and fill on a 4 cylinder, 7th Gen Accord. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...=drain+coolant

You will need:
9 quarts of DW-1, which is part number 08200-9008A
3 drain plug washers, which is part number 90471-PX4-000
I4 engine's Automatic Transmission (inline) filter: Honda part number 25430-PLR-003

The Honda dealer can do it too....but will charge you an arm and a leg.

Indy shops will do it for less money but you may want to buy the parts first as you don't know what they will use otherwise. As Drew stated, you should do the 3 drain and fills over the course of a few days as you want the fluid to circulate in between. Even if you go to the Honda dealer for this work, you may make appointments for the next 3 Mondays or something.

But if you do go to an Indy shop- Do NOT LET THEM SELL YOU A POWER FLUSH. It MUST be a drain and fill procedure.

And if you go to the dealer, they may question you as to why you want a new filter as the book does not call for replacement of the transmission filter. Not sure if that was an oversight on Honda's part, but no filter is "lifetime"- not even a Honda filter.

·
2006 I4 MT
1,687 Posts
The filter is a pain. I gave trying to change it on a family member's car.

Might work better with a hose piler.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
And if you go to the dealer, they may question you as to why you want a new filter as the book does not call for replacement of the transmission filter. Not sure if that was an oversight on Honda's part, but no filter is "lifetime"- not even a Honda filter.
I doubt the fluid gets much contaminated, hence no real need to replace the filter. I'm paranoid though, so I'll be replacing it at 30k (hose pliers definitely going to be used), which will be about 5 years on my car.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I doubt the fluid gets much contaminated, hence no real need to replace the filter. I'm paranoid though, so I'll be replacing it at 30k (hose pliers definitely going to be used).
"Hey, even the Mona Lisa is falling apart." - Tyler Durden

I prefer the 90 degree angled pliers as opposed to the traditional "hose clamp" because of where this filter is located. I found it easier to "walk" the clamp 3 inches away from the filter with these angled pliers as they provided a better grip than the hose pliers- in this application.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Prior to removing the filter, use a pair of pliers to grip the hoses and rock them to break the seal. Makes things much easier.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I put a tiny bit of dielectric/silicone grease on the nipples of the filter so it will be easily removable in the future. Also, I replaced the single-use hose clamps with screw-type hose clamps.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
use a pair of pliers
"...pair of pliers and a blowtorch."
- Marsellus Wallace in the movie, Pulp Fiction

And gwiffer's suggestions are spot on. Am thinking of helping a buddy do this in two weeks, and may take photos and try to update the "How To" and will incorporate those suggestions.....minus the blowtorch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm in a similar boat, but with 140k on the clock and the fluid was only exchanged twice (both times single drain and fill). I plan on doing three or four drain and fills soon. Does Honda fluid have to be used? I've read countless threads on the topic, but I can't find a definitive answer against using castrol or valvoline.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Honestly, 1 drain and refill is probably fine in your case, especially if you have had it done once already at 68k. I know that many people on here recommend changing the ATF every 30k miles, but I think that's more applicable to the V6 models rather than the I4s, which have considerably less powerful engines and thus stress the transmissions much less (the transmissions are the same in the I4 and V6).

I followed the Honda manual's recommendation of changing the ATF at 120k miles, except I decided to do a 3x drain and refill instead of just one. When I had the fluid changed, the mechanic told me that the old fluid which came out looked like it still had a good bit of life left in it.

That said, doing a 3x drain and refill isn't terribly expensive, so if it gives you peace of mind, that's a good enough reason.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
but I can't find a definitive answer against using castrol or valvoline.
...and you won't find a definitive answer (because there is none), though the many post I've read here boil down to either DW-1 or Amsoil.

There are over 100 threads on Drive Accord about which auto trans oil to use. There are another 50 on Bob Is The Oil Guy website, too. www.bobistheoilguy.com

Our automatic transmissions, especially the ones mated to a V6, seem to be a weak link if not properly cared for.

As several experts here will point out- regular maintenance of your automatic transmission is just as important- if not more important, than the debate between DW-1, or Amsoil, or brand X.

Change your fluid! Do 3 drain and fills!

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I'm in a similar boat, but with 140k on the clock and the fluid was only exchanged twice (both times single drain and fill). I plan on doing three or four drain and fills soon. Does Honda fluid have to be used? I've read countless threads on the topic, but I can't find a definitive answer against using castrol or valvoline.
I'm convinced the AT is the one place you really don't want to stray from OEM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an '04 EX-L I4/5AT with 235K miles -- bought it new 10 years ago. I've done a 1x drain/fill with Honda fluid (ZF1 originally, now DW1) once a year since I bought it. Runs and shifts great, and is still my primary driver...

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can only imagine How much they'd charge to do 3 drain and fills at Honda... My Neighbor's a mechanic, so I thought about buying the necessary things I need, and having him do it, but considering the last time he worked on my old car he left my car running the ENTIRE damn time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I can only imagine How much they'd charge to do 3 drain and fills at Honda... My Neighbor's a mechanic, so I thought about buying the necessary things I need, and having him do it, but considering the last time he worked on my old car he left my car running the ENTIRE damn time.
I paid $100 in labor to have the drain + refills and the coolant done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts