Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a set of R1 Concepts Carbon Geomet rotors for my 2017 Touring. I also bought OEM Honda pads. One of the rotors has some unsightly casting flash/slag around the inner part of the hub. I contacted R1 and they are have agreed to replace it, even though said this was not uncommon and assured me it was only cosmetic. Problem is I was planning on doing the brakes this weekend as the pulsation I’m feeling under braking is getting more pronounced. I’m still waiting on the shipping label to get the replacement started my way. My question is, would you guys install this rotor? Am I being too picky? I’m considering just putting it on the passenger side and moving on instead of waiting on a replacement.

Casting flash on half of the hub:

Other half is smooth:

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
That unpainted area in the crease of the "hat" most likely will never touch the pad, so I wouldn't even worry about it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s definitely not on the friction surface at all. I’m actually more concerned by the potential, whether real or imagined, for the extra material to induce vibrations. Being so close to the center of the mass, it’s probably highly unlikely. The second concern is that the 19“ Touring wheels are petty open and this area will be visible.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
It’s definitely not on the friction surface at all. I’m actually more concerned by the potential, whether real or imagined, for the extra material to induce vibrations. Being so close to the center of the mass, it’s probably highly unlikely. The second concern is that the 19“ Touring wheels are petty open and this area will be visible.
It's your call, obviously, but I doubt it will give you issues.
Another thought is take it to a machine shop and have them turn it on their lathe....they can probably remove it in two minutes.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that’s a good thought, but the rotors have the geomet coating and turning them will remove that and cause rust quickly. The best option is probably to just wait on the replacement, although I guess that one could actually look worse 🤔

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive had my drilled and slotted geomet rotors for a while. I'll put them on this weekend if my car comes back from paint on time
Do your rotors have any casting flash/slag between the "hat" and the braking surface??

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm just gonna use the rotor with the casting slag. It's such a small area and tucked deep inside the hub that I probably won't even notice it. I'll just put it on the passenger side so if is slightly visible I won't see it as often LOL. My pulsation is getting pretty bad so I just want to refresh the brakes ASAP now. If these rotors don't hold up I'll probably just get Centric blanks. I had them on my Mazda6 and they seemed to work just fine. I just went R1 because one of the Centrics I got from TireRack had a deep gouge in the braking surface and had to get a replacement. I just thought R1 might be better quality. Guess maybe not.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,455 Posts
Have you tried to chip the slag off? That might just fall off, with a little help, if it is what I think it is.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you tried to chip the slag off? That might just fall off, with a little help, if it is what I think it is.
No. I’m concerned it will chip off down to the raw iron and cause the exposed area to rust. The rotors are fully coated and I don’t really want to disturb it. I’ll probably wait a bit until the geomet coating starts to fail and just clean up the rough spots and paint them.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,455 Posts
No. I’m concerned it will chip off down to the raw iron and cause the exposed area to rust. The rotors are fully coated and I don’t really want to disturb it. I’ll probably wait a bit until the geomet coating starts to fail and just clean up the rough spots and paint them.
IMO, rotors rust, and get very dirty, and you will never notice that spot after the first time you drive on a wet road. Do you scrub your rotors clean when you wash your car?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMO, rotors rust, and get very dirty, and you will never notice that spot after the first time you drive on a wet road. Do you scrub your rotors clean when you wash your car?
The rotors are coated to prevent rust. I’m fully aware that the coating itself has a lifespan and they will eventually rust. The factory rotors are over three years and nearly 60k miles old and had almost zero rust on the hats and only a little on the edges. Coated rotors inhibit rust in the south for quite a while. I was just saying I didn’t want to accelerate the new ones to rust by exposing raw iron from chipping off the slag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts