Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to change my coolant in my honda accord 2007 Hybrid. I drained my coolant from the drain plug only and not from the drain bolt. I have one of the yellow coolant changing kits. This was my procedure:

Remove radiator cap.
Drain coolant from drain plug.
Put plug back on.
Install funnel kit.
Refill with honda coolant till full.
Turn engine on with the funnel kit attached and excess fluid.
Wait till my radiator fan turns on.

So that the last step, I waited 10 minutes and it never turns on. I then turn on my AC heat to high and full blast, and it works. The fan still doesn't turn on. I still wait a long time and nothing. So then I take it for a drive. With the AC on and off, the fan still doesn't run. The temperature shows that the temperature is still normal which is below half. The weather isn't very warm right now but not cold. Could this have an affect? I am reading up online and air might have been trapped inside? I did drain more fluid while I had a full funnel of fluid hoping for the air to run out.

·
Elvira - the car
3,519 Posts
Try burping the air out with cap off and engine running. You'll see bubbles at the filler neck as air escapes. I you can, put the car on ramps to raise the front and therefore the radiator filler neck, slightly higher than the engine. Air will find it's way out quicker. Keep filling at the filler neck til the level stops dropping in the neck. Replace the cap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try burping the air out with cap off and engine running. You'll see bubbles at the filler neck as air escapes. I you can, put the car on ramps to raise the front and therefore the radiator filler neck, slightly higher than the engine. Air will find it's way out quicker. Keep filling at the filler neck til the level stops dropping in the neck. Replace the cap.
How long should I do it for? 10min? Till I don't see air coming out? I'll raise and it try.

Btw is the bleeder screw just drain bolt at the rear of the cylinder block. I can't find that screw for some reason.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
With the AC on the fans should come on whenever the compressor is engaged. Turn your heat to low and temperature to hot and let the engine idle until the fans come on at least 3 times. When the fans come on the fluid level in the radiator will drop, I top of off and put the cap on, fill the overflow tank to the full mark. I check it the next day cold and verify the overflow is at the bottom mark.

·
Elvira - the car
3,519 Posts
How long should I do it for? 10min? Till I don't see air coming out? I'll raise and it try.

Btw is the bleeder screw just drain bolt at the rear of the cylinder block. I can't find that screw for some reason.
As you guessed until the air bubbles stops coming out the filler.

As far as the drain bolt I can't help with that. I've never drained using the bolt, only the pet**** on the radiator. (Watch the filth filter change that word)

Someone will come along and put us straight on that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

With the AC on the fans should come on whenever the compressor is engaged. Turn your heat to low and temperature to hot and let the engine idle until the fans come on at least 3 times. When the fans come on the fluid level in the radiator will drop, I top of off and put the cap on, fill the overflow tank to the full mark. I check it the next day cold and verify the overflow is at the bottom mark.
Did you mean low fan and highest temperature? I just did that with my funnel/spill-kit and the fan turned on. I let it run 5 times before stopping. I filled everything as full as it could be and topped off the reservoir to max. Because I had the heat on and the fans came on, does that mean it should be ok?

As you guessed until the air bubbles stops coming out the filler.

As far as the drain bolt I can't help with that. I've never drained using the bolt, only the pet**** on the radiator. (Watch the filth filter change that word)

Someone will come along and put us straight on that.
I waited for a good 10mins. I am still idling right now without the heat on to see if it'll turn on. Should there be a difference with the heat on?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

The fans turned on by themselves with no AC on. I guess that solves it? Or is there something else I should check? I'll refill the reservoir/overfill tomorrow when it's cold.

Thanks for the prompt replies and help everyone, much appreciated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Update:

The fans turned on by themselves with no AC on. I guess that solves it? Or is there something else I should check? I'll refill the reservoir/overfill tomorrow when it's cold.

Thanks for the prompt replies and help everyone, much appreciated.
That should do it. Just monitor the level in the res for a day or so as some of the air that got displaced will cause fluid to get sucked back up into the rad.

I know it says in that kit not to rev the engine at all but i did to get it up to temp enough to bring on the fan and open the thermostat. I guess I'm just impatient

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
The reason for turning the heat on high and the fan on low is to get the coolant flowing through the heater core and eliminating any air bubbles also, low fan speed is to keep the temp up as the heater core is just a radiator and putting the fan on high will keep the temperature lower and may not start the cooling fans. Once the cooling fans start cycling after 3 times most of the air will be out of the system. When the engine cools it will pull in coolant from the overflow tank and cold the radiator should be full and the overflow tank at the bottom mark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts