Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here we are at 170000 miles , now i have a radiator leak , its at the mechanics , the mechanic says the car is leaking in 2 places , radiator and water pump

water pump is fairly new at 150,000 which was replaced with the timing belt.

car shut off while driving due to the antifreeze being super low ,

a day before i got an oil change at jiffy ,

i wish they would of refilled my antifreeze like they should have , i probly would of kept avoiding the problem

i was loading the trunk with around 500 lbs of stone on multple occasions

the temp guage never over heated

mechanic is changing the radiator as step 1

i went there today , i started the car up when they gave me the keys to get my laundry detergent,

it started up but alot of white thick smoke was coming out of the exhaust, engine sounded normal, ect.

i checked the levels of antifreeze myself, the black tube silver cap had fluid in it to the top

the plastic resevoir looked a bit dry (car was cold) if there was a present leak would the antifreeze still be at the top in the metal cap section?

worried about the white smoke ,(cold area) in nj 20 degrees out today*

just worried about the car...

any one can shed some enlightment on my situation?

its been there for a week and theres 1 or 2 mechanics with about 20 cars on the lot , kind of mind boggling

should i just get a new car or keep dealing with this car ahhh

·
Registered
138 Posts
White smoke can be a sign of head gasket failure causing engine coolant leak into the cylinders. The head gasket failure could have been caused when you drove it with coolant level super low.

Or could have just been condensation of the usual water in exhaust due to the cold weather. But you're saying it was a LOT of white smoke. You might want to get them to check for head gasket failure. Your call on fixing it or not.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the fast response, if a new radiator doesnt fix my problems , im just going to buy a new car i guees =(

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
598 Posts
Yeah, if it was a lot of solid white smoke, you have a head gasket leak almost certainly. Honda engines typically don't develop head gasket leaks on their own. It's almost always caused by overheating or some other incident. So it doesn't surprise me. So I don't see why you should blame the car for this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"So I don't see why you should blame the car for this. "

out of curiosity , whats the blame? me overhauling? or jiffy not refilling ? me being unexperienced under the hood?

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
598 Posts
"So I don't see why you should blame the car for this. "

out of curiosity , whats the blame? me overhauling? or jiffy not refilling ? me being unexperienced under the hood?
Personally, I'd place the blame on you for thinking Jiffy Lube is the place to take your car in the first place.

·
(Ken)
'09 6-6 Accord Coupe
108 Posts
White smoke can be tricky to diagnose in the cold. Coolant smells sweet (if honda blue) or terrible (if green). Remove the radiator cap and run your finger around the seal on it. If there's any dark substance on it, that's a combination of oil, exhaust grot, and coolant. It's a blown head gasket. A surging idle is another telltale sign. As for blame, any leak at any point in the cooling system will cause air to replace the coolant that's lost. Those bubbles become super heated on their way around your engine and the head gaskets are the weakest point. Green coolant will eat the seals on Hondas. That's enough to make a water pump leak.

If the exhaust doesn't smell and there's no crap on the radiator cap, maybe you got lucky. Or maybe the head gasket is merely seeping and you can get a few more months out of the car. If that's the case, I can find you a list of tasks to help limp the car along.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response. I been going to jiffy for oil changes, guess that's not a good idea anymore

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
598 Posts
You should never take your car to any quick lube place for anything.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Find a good independent shop that knows Honda's & get all the work done there including oil changes. They will be more aware of any potential problems that could arise. You need to get a cylinder compression check done, then decide what you want to do from there.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Look @ the reviews on Yelp & drop by to talk to them, ask if the mechanics are ASE certified. Do they make you feel "comfortable". My brother was driving 45 min. to the Toyota dealer & it was always $300-500 for an oil change as they insisted he needed other work done. I Found a foreign auto repair shop (mostly BMW's) 2 miles from where he lived, honest mechanics.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cars back , just needed a new radiator , just a little water on water pump , cars good , mechanics good , thank god , we are back on the road!!!! no white smoke!! omg so relieved , i thought id be posting in the 10th gen in the near future , see you guys on the next problem , i appreciate everyones comments, nomore jiffy, the mechanic down the block is trustable!! thanks god

Reactions: WiiMaster
1 - 13 of 13 Posts