Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Accord EX. My radio stack with navigation recently went out (just the radio). I bought an aftermarket radio and housing that came with a harness specifically designed for my vehicle. I was able to hook everything up, matched all the colored wires etc. Now for the strange part:

I turned the vehicle power on (ACC on the ignition) and everything turns on (GPS/radio/windows etc.). The aftermarket stereo lights up, shows my channel and the EQ bounces up and down delightfully and I hear full audio inside the car.

I turn the key to on (crank the engine on). The GPS/radio/windows etc. all still turn on. The aftermarket stereo lights up, shows my channel and again the EQ bounces up and down like there is music playing but I get absolutely zero sound out of my speakers.

If i shut the car off to the ACC mode, the sound comes right back.

I have googled the living sh** out of this and have yet to see a fix for it. I have checked the constant power wire vs the ACC wire, reversed them, tied them together, left the harness out of the factory radio............I have tried everything. In desperation I decided to come here to see if anyone has seen this or dealt with it.

Anyone else seen this problem and know of a fix? Any help would be wonderful. I need my stereo.

·
Registered
'07 SE A/T V6 @200K. Her name is Babe, My Babe
33 Posts
If it is one of those PAC or Metra, it could very well be the harness, I have the rpk4-1101hd(from PAC) and the unit itself worked, but the A/C would always come on and stay on HIGH, it turned out to be that box/module where you connect everything, so I got a new module(which I was very lucky to find) and it worked fine, if your old stereo still works, try connecting it and see if it does the same thing with the speakers, that would be the easiest way to determine whether the fault is now in the car wiring or the new bracket

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is one of those PAC or Metra, it could very well be the harness, I have the rpk4-1101hd(from PAC) and the unit itself worked, but the A/C would always come on and stay on HIGH, it turned out to be that box/module where you connect everything, so I got a new module(which I was very lucky to find) and it worked fine, if your old stereo still works, try connecting it and see if it does the same thing with the speakers, that would be the easiest way to determine whether the fault is now in the car wiring or the new bracket
Old stereo does not work. That’s why I got a new one. I may try to find a new harness though and see if maybe that’s the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Old stereo does not work. That’s why I got a new one. I may try to find a new harness though and see if maybe that’s the problem.
Well, the question I should have asked before would be if you're using one of those over-priced brackets (Pac/Metra) or if you're using the kit thay replaces that cubi with the fancy lid, if you got the branded brackets, unless you brought it new, that thing could have plenty of issues, I know from first hand, mine is sitting in the shelf I am trying to figure out how to fix the stuttering temperature knob as it drives me crazy.

Edit: If you're using the regular metra kit (bottom one) then I'd definitely try another wiring harness, or TAP the stereo's wiring harness directly to the speakers wires in the car's harness to see if it would make a difference

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the question I should have asked before would be if you're using one of those over-priced brackets (Pac/Metra) or if you're using the kit thay replaces that cubi with the fancy lid, if you got the branded brackets, unless you brought it new, that thing could have plenty of issues, I know from first hand, mine is sitting in the shelf I am trying to figure out how to fix the stuttering temperature knob as it drives me crazy.

Edit: If you're using the regular metra kit (bottom one) then I'd definitely try another wiring harness, or TAP the stereo's wiring harness directly to the speakers wires in the car's harness to see if it would make a difference
I went cheap my friend. I got the replacement bracket for the little cubi and a very cheap bluetooth stereo. I looked at the $200+ ones but wasnt really needing all the fancy stuff they have on there, plus I have seen some reviews saying they are not that great. My NAV still works too so thats not a concern. Just need to have my radio.
I have been thinking about directly wiring the speakers. Perhaps there is something wrong with the harness? I will try that and see if it works. So far, nothing else has worked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Old stereo does not work. That’s why I
I went cheap my friend. I got the replacement bracket for the little cubi and a very cheap bluetooth stereo. I looked at the $200+ ones but wasnt really needing all the fancy stuff they have on there, plus I have seen some reviews saying they are not that great. My NAV still works too so thats not a concern. Just need to have my radio.
I have been thinking about directly wiring the speakers. Perhaps there is something wrong with the harness? I will try that and see if it works. So far, nothing else has worked.
I would definitely tap the speaker wires directly from the stereo to the car harness then, i'd only tap one so you don't bite all of them in vain(say, if that wasn't the issue)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts