Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago my wife was driving her 2005 Accord LX 4-cyl when the dashlights, instruments, and radio turned off. They eventually came back on, however, since we have 2 small children we wanted to be safe and took it into our Honda dealership and they informed us it was a bad battery so we had them replace it (nearly $200). Not even a day later, the same thing happened only this time the radio did not come back on. I again brought it into the dealership in which they said the radio itself would have to be replaced which would have cost around $300 for them to do it. Sorry, cant afford that right now.

So we went without a radio for about a year and no other issues. Last week my wife was at a stop light and the car stalled on her. She was able to push it into a lot and it sat there for about an hour before I got home from work. I went to try and start the car and it fired right up no problems, and to my surprise the radio was working again. I then brought it to a local garage who my friend vouched for and he indicated the alternator was bad and I had it replaced ($300)....radio still working.

4 days after alternator has been replaced the radio is now out again and has not turned back on, 1 week total. Anyone have similiar problems and are there any DIY fixes to this? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
294 Posts
A buddy of mine was having problems with his Dodge neon, similarly random electrical components going out. Including the starter. In this case I changed his starter, since it shorted out and got fried. If I were you, I'd check the positive and negative battery cables, make sure there aren't any shorts, check your fuses, etc. When I first got my car the positive battery cable was corroded as all hell, and I replaced it. It's an easy DIY if that is the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Strath. From my point of view the cables look fine. Also I just had the car in for an oil change and at the local garage and nothing was said about the cables. It would be nice to know if it is the radio that needs to be replaced and not something else wrong with the car so I am not stuck with a new radio that I didnt need. I am confident I could replace the radio myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts