Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been heavy into a little bit of a problem here with my audio system. I want to first of all say that I have a aftermarket FM aux adapter installed in my car I've had it for over a year with no issues.
So right now I'm having a problem with my audio cutting out because just for a split second the radio just pops and makes a really loud shorting noise, but it seems to go into protection mode because all I have to do is turn power off and it works fine until it pops again.
My stereo system is stock except for the rear speakers which are Pioneer three ways, I have a pro adapter kit and there are no wires touching. I have heard that this problem could be anything from a bad internal amplifier or a short somewhere. My question is how do I diagnose these issues?
How can I test to see if I have a bad speaker or if my radios internal amplifier is indeed failing?

·
VCM DELETE
807 Posts
What year is your car? I didnt see it in your signature?

·
Cruising in Montana
4,177 Posts
Disconnect the aux adapter and the pro adapter (if they're different) and leave the system alone for a week or two. If the problem goes away, then those adapters are the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try that. It a 05 Accord lx btw.
This is totally off topic but do you know if the aux adapters that plug into your CD changer, do they have alot of engine whine coming through? That seems like a much easier and cheaper option to go and buy one of those but if the audio quality is worse than I'd rather just go pay another 45$ and get another FM transmitter.

·
Cruising in Montana
4,177 Posts
They have none, since there is no antenna to pick up whine. It's a direct signal from the unit to the radio.

FM transmitter? There's your problem I bet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO SWEARING) in the (BUTTOCKS) to reconnect it if there is nothing wrong besides a (FORNICATION) up radio.
So what else can I do to eliminate or find out if it's my internal amplifier or if I have a short in my speakers.

·
Cruising in Montana
4,177 Posts
Unplug the power to the FM transmitter and re-connect the vehicle's antenna directly to the radio. That will take the transmitter thing completely out of the loop. If you still have pops then, the radio (or speaker wiring) is the problem.

20 years ago when I had a Geo Prizm and wanted to play CD's, the FM transmitter I used drifted off-frequency so much I could not use it. I had to use a cassette tape adapter, since the radio had a cassette player but no CD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i wanna bump this thread. I have completely unplugged my FM transmitter for my radio and I am still having occasional shorts where the radio is going dead but will turn back on if I turn the power on and off.
I'm assuming that there is something wrong with the circuit board inside my radio, but I'm also concerned that I may have messed something else up when I jerry-rigged a subwoofer on to my rear speakers.
that caused by the radio to turn on by itself (with no key) until i disconnected the 2 speaker wires from my sub. (The short problem started a little bit after i did that)
So basically my question is how do I check to make sure it's not my speakers that are shorting out? I doubt it's that but I don't want to put a new system and it still have the same problem.
So how do you check to see the resistance for every speaker? Do you pull the radio out or do I need to take my doors off to check my side door speakers? I have a electric meter to use i just don't know where to do it

·
Cruising in Montana
4,177 Posts
You do have to remove the door cards to test the speakers. Basically, you disconnect the wiring at the speaker and test the speaker for resistance. I think it's around 8 ohms, but could be less. That value may be printed on the speaker magnet.

Is it a factory radio? Those have been known to have resistors fall off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts