Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Radio Swap

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  naiju84 
#1 ·
First time on here...I got to thank all of you on here for all the wonderful opinions, suggestions, installation pictures, writes ups on here as they have helped me a lot for the projects i plan on taking on. I just got me a new 2015 Accord sport and as everyone knows the radio in these things are terrible. It gets pretty loud but oh boy, they sound crappy. So I decided to upgrade it with an EX-L radio. I got all the parts including the wiring harness, subwoofer, amplifier from a 14 EX-L. My plan is to use the radio and then tap into the flat signals from the radio and use a kicker front row for processing the signal and then sending it to an alpine PDX v9. Does that sound feasible? Does it need to be processed or can I just send it directly into the PDX and call it a day?
I have no plans of adding a subwoofer in the trunk but in the long run I might put a sub in the rear deck in the stock location of the subs in and EX-L and that might be far down the road. I have read many forums on here where some fellow accorders(Yes I just made it up) say that the front and rear sheet metal will need to be cut in order to install a speaker with 2.7" depth. I am thinking of going with either CDTs bass enhanced sets or JL C5 series. Does anyone have prior experience with installing them on the accord? If so, would you let me know is any cutting had to be done to the sheet metal.

#2 ·
I checked the manual for that Kicker Front Row and it doesn't mentioned accepting balanced inputs. The EX-L radio has balanced outputs from the HU to the factory amp, so you need something that can accept those. Google "Honda balanced output".

#5 ·
Good luck getting the radio swap to work! I know it can be done but I don't think anyone on here has documented it very well so take lots of pictures. As for the speaker choices, they both should sound good. I've installed a few sets of the JL's and haven't heard anything from CDT in quite some time but they used to sound good. Cutting the metal may not be necessary depending on how thick your spacer is, and how beefy the speaker is. Some of the newer neo magnet drivers may drop in without any trimming at all.

#7 ·
just let us know how it works out ...I also have the chance to get a 2014 ex-l radio from a wrecked accord, did you pulled the harness from behind the radio? where is the sub and factory amp? can you please let me know.
thanks, I am going tomorrow to get the radio at a shop. the owner said just swap your radio for the other one, no charge just have to do it myself. I was an installer for 16 years but its been 16 years since I done it. this new cars are a bit more complicated now. I have 2014 accord sport with swapped mirrors from a 2014 ex, still have to get door harness to make the led blinkers to work.

#8 ·
I have 2014 accord sport with swapped mirrors from a 2014 ex, still have to get door harness to make the led blinkers to work.
Please make a post about that process once you finish, if you don't mind. I'd like to do that too and it'd be great to know what part #'s to order and how much work it is and all.

#10 ·
I am hoping to get everything working, like the heated elements in the mirrors, the camera and LED turn signals.
just have a small window to get the parts off the wrecked Accords before they are sent off. don't mind cutting metal, I did the rear deck cutting to fit 6x9s instead of the 6 1/2.
I guess just need to find out how to remove the wire harnesses.
when I replaced the mirrors the plug was the same but mine was missing wires (the mirror remote control works). I figured if I replace the door harness it will work, but they might of not have the wires at the door.

#11 ·
No they will not have the wires. You will have to run the wires. Thats the bad thing about Honda, they will not run wires if not needed. I have a friend who has a 2009 camry and everything in that car is pre-wired whether or not it has the stuff that comes in the top of the line model. He added OEM Steering wheel controls for audio and all he did was buy the switch and all the wires needed was already there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.