Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Radio upgrade gone bad

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  true 
#1 ·
Hi, new to the forum.

My son is working on putting a new head unit into his 2012 accord lx-s coupe. He pulled the factory unit out and now the new one won't turn on.

1. We bought a scosche wiring harness and validated all the wiring is correct from the harness to the new radio. We also checked it is connected securely with no bent pins.

2. I got my test light out and can see power both with the ignition flipped and without on the constant (white) wire on the factory plug but get nothing on the switched (violet) wire both with the ignition flipped (I should see current when the key is turned) and without. Also, both his cigarette lighters are no longer working. This tells me the aftermarket harness is not the issue but something straight from the car now.

3. I tried hooking up the factory radio back and the security light is on but it won't power up either.

4. I checked all the "accessory" fuses on the driver, passenger, and under the hood areas but all are good.

I've done a far amount of car audio in the past but I don't know what else to check on the car.

He tells me he disconnected all the plugs carefully while he was taking everything apart and getting the radio out. I don't think he disconnected the battery on the car while he was doing this so I'm wondering if there is some other fuse (maybe labeled with an odd name) or a relay I can check.

The owner's manual isn't a ton of help....this is no differentiation for the radio.

Any help is appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd suggest disconnect the negative battery cable for 30 seconds then reconnect, perhaps something else in the car just needs a hard reset.

BTW, use the original radio without the adapter harness for this test.

#3 ·
certainly sounds like a blown fuse to me.

#4 ·
It's not gonna be a fuse in the driver side. Happened to me before I think it's the main fuse u blew in the engine bay. The factory harness is attached to the entire wire harness to the car which leads into the engine bay. It's a huge fuse that looks like a block, forgot what it's called I think the VSA engine fuse number 2

#10 ·
Are you sure the new unit is working?

#12 ·
Resolved the issue. It was an oversight on my part and my sons....I am just helping him out as needed and totally forgot something.

We used an add-a-Fuse on #18 on the drivers side to add an amp (needed a remote turn-on for it) with a line-out converter with the stock head unit. When we decided to add the aftermarket head unit I thought hey, we can use the remote turn-on with the new radio and don't need the add-a-fuse. I pulled the add-a-fuse and DID NOT put the original fuse back in thinking it was a spare fuse switched area and it DIDN'T have one from stock. Too much going on....not sure why I missed this but it comes with helping him out here and there and not being 100% involved.

We put back in the fuse and guess what, it works. Imagine that....it just needed the fuse.

I appreciate all the help and insight.....just a DOOOOHHHH on my part.

#14 ·
Yup, it was a ah crap moment. I used the Service Manual from a link on here for the 08-10 and told my son to go check #18. He came back and said there is no fuse there. I said take a spare and put it in there. He again came back and said "it works", and I said damn, we both overlooked the add-a-fuse. I explained and he said oh yeah....whoops. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.