Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 accord with the factory navigation radio and for the past few years the volume is always low on the radio. The cd volume comes in fine, but every station except the largest stations (92.3 for my east coasters) volume fades up and down randomly. It doesnt matter if I am driving or parked, the volume will randomly get loud, but for the most part it stays quiet. Like my volume level goes up to 40 and even when its at 40 it will sound like its at 20. Has anyone else had this problem/found the cause??

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
For starters, have you checked the antenna, which is probably attached to the rear window glass, for breaks or if it's peeling off the window?

Checked antenna connections from the window all the way to the back of the radio?

Somebody else may know if there's a signal amplifier somewhere between the antenna and the radio that might be ailing...

·
Cruising in Montana
4,109 Posts
There is a signal amplifier between the radio & the antenna, on the driver's side C-pillar.

The antenna is the top three or four lines on the rear window. It looks like the defroster wires.

But if the volume randomly rises and falls while you're not moving, I would think the problem is in the radio itself, maybe the volume knob.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
There is a signal amplifier between the radio & the antenna, on the driver's side C-pillar.

The antenna is the top three or four lines on the rear window. It looks like the defroster wires.

But if the volume randomly rises and falls while you're not moving, I would think the problem is in the radio itself, maybe the volume knob.
@Radioprobs said CDs play ok, so doesn't that rule out the volume knob which is used for both the radio and CD player...?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
That's true, I forgot about that.
That's why I suggested starting simple by looking at incoming radio frequency signal strength, eg, antenna and/or intermittent RF signal amplifier.

And if those aren't the issue, it might be the RF tuner itself in the radio, which the CD player doesn't use, except possibly for the amplifier section...

·
8th Gen Believer
3,965 Posts
If you live in or near a big city, FM signals can refract off tall buildings and reception can be bad even sitting still, although I vote with Ronch and mtts60 on signal amp and antenna problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts