Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe with black leather power driver's seat, heated, etc.

I left the driver's side window open all night. And of course it rained all night.
I found this out when I got to my car the next morning.
I figured no big deal and I wiped off my seat and drove a few miles. I parked my car. It was a very hot and sunny day.
I got back to the car and parts of my leather seat and the side of the upper back was hard as a rock and rough feeling. I was like Holy crap. What happened. I showed a couple of people this and they never saw anything like it.
(photo attached)

Over the phone an upholstery shop said that the sun dried out the leather and basically you can't bring it back. Needs replacement.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this and what's the best remedy? Seat replacement, leather replacement, etc.

Attachments

Gearhead Girl 馃
I have cloth seats, but I own tons of leather jackets. That looks toast to me. Untreated leather does not like water, and sun isn't great for it either.

Not sure how well they'll work on something like this, but you could try a "leather restorer" as a first option. You could also try seat covers, but if the seats have become hard, that might not be the most comfortable option. You might even want to see if you can pull a replacement identical seat from a junkyard and swap them out.

In case it needs to be said, next time I would recommend rolling up all of the windows when leaving the car, regardless of the forecasted weather conditions.

Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
I have cloth seats
If you can even call the Accord cloth seats cloth...they always felt more like a rough fur to me...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have cloth seats, but I own tons of leather jackets. That looks toast to me. Untreated leather does not like water, and sun isn't great for it either.

Not sure how well they'll work on something like this, but you could try a "leather restorer" as a first option. You could also try seat covers, but if the seats have become hard, that might not be the most comfortable option. You might even want to see if you can pull a replacement identical seat from a junkyard and swap them out.

In case it needs to be said, next time I would recommend rolling up all of the windows when leaving the car, regardless of the forecasted weather conditions.
2nd time I forgot. Two strikes and I'm out.
First time the seat was fine. Murphy showed up this time.

I use Leather Honey for the conditioner.

I'm looking at junk yards for a replacement.....

Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
You probably should be more concerned about the following mold odor because the floor must have been soaking wet.

Try remove the seat so that you can better treat it and prevent further sunlight. In the meantime, you should probably clean the floor (steam cleaning?).

Registered
I work with leather as a hobby, if it got wet then baked in the sun all the oils were pushed out and it's as hard as a rock. Why didn't you use any conditioner on it? I know it sounds cruel, but if you don't take care of your seats like that...

I had a mercedes in 2004 and it SOAKED the seats because I had the windows open and it cloudbursted over night. Just wiped them down, no problem. At the time I was using mcguair's leather seat conditioner.

Now I use lexol because it honestly is better, but you got to condition it man. If you did the rain would sit atop the leather.

Registered
Great advice in this thread. You should feel all the carpets carefully for dampness, and steam cleaning the carpets wouldn鈥檛 be a bad idea (as @Ziyang pointed out). Oratorio鈥檚 advice about conditioning the leather is good- I鈥檇 recommend Griot鈥檚, but that鈥檚 just personal preference.

And as @Ash051 said, roll those windows up!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I work with leather as a hobby, if it got wet then baked in the sun all the oils were pushed out and it's as hard as a rock. Why didn't you use any conditioner on it? I know it sounds cruel, but if you don't take care of your seats like that...

I had a mercedes in 2004 and it SOAKED the seats because I had the windows open and it cloudbursted over night. Just wiped them down, no problem. At the time I was using mcguair's leather seat conditioner.

Now I use lexol because it honestly is better, but you got to condition it man. If you did the rain would sit atop the leather.
I use Honey Leather conditioner and the last application was approx. 2 months prior and that stuff is expensive so I did use a conditioner to let you know.

Gearhead Girl 馃
2nd time I forgot. Two strikes and I'm out.
What I do, and what you can start to get in the habit of doing, is to pull up on ALL of the window switches before turning off the car, even if you haven't used the windows. Sure, it's tedious, but it'll ensure they're all up every time and prevent this from happening again.

It kinda goes with trying the door handle to ensure the car's actually locked when you leave. Unless that's just a thing that my family does, lol.

To Infinity and Beyond
Water inside a vehicle can span from an inconvenience to a death certificate for your car.

I had water coming into the cabin of my previous runner through a faulty seal between the heater unit and the firewall. It turned out being quite a big project.
2.jpg 3.jpg 12.jpg

Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
It kinda goes with trying the door handle to ensure the car's actually locked when you leave. Unless that's just a thing that my family does, lol.
Nope, not alone. Same boat here.

I usually leave my windows open a crack when parking at a store or something on a hot day to let some heat out, and since it's Texas, if it's hot, probably not raining any time soon. I do however leave them all closed when I'm parked outside at home since it'll be parked for a more extended period of time. When I do leave on a hot day I just use the key fob to roll down all the windows about 10 minutes before I leave to let some of the heat dissipate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts