Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Rain-X for a while. Since I purchased my Sport a few months ago I wanted to ask which is the best to use before applying anything?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I have used both, aquapel last much longer on the windshield. I still use rain-x on back and side glass as well as mirrors.

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,165 Posts
Aquapel is the superior product. Keep in mind that if you ever want to completely remove either one that you have your work cut out for you. I won't use either.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Aquapel is the superior product. Keep in mind that if you ever want to completely remove either one that you have your work cut out for you. I won't use either.
I have a friend that repairs windshields for a living and both products are creating issues with the resins sticking to the glass. If you get a star or chip get it fixed ASAP.

Only downside is the cost of Aquapel.
You can get Aquapel online for $3.00 an applicator.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just use rain x bug/washer fluid. Quick spray of the windshield washers and water beads easily.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was driving my family home one evening when it was raining very heavily. I could not see out of the window. What would you do?

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,294 Posts
claybar your window then put paint sealant on it... you will get water beading for months!
agreed - there is no need for special window product - any polymer sealant will make water fly off....rejex, nu finish, meg NXT2.0, blackfire crystal seal - same polymer you use on your paint...

·
subtract 622000 miles to get engine mileage
14,741 Posts
i have used both products in the past. from my experience, rain-x doesn't last as long, but is much easier to apply. i personally use the 2 in 1 rain-x washer fluid year round. that seems to work best for me. rain-x is also much easier to remove, with some barkeeper's friend (thanks RTF!).

with the aquapel: yes, it lasts longer, and the chemical compound is different. when i first applied it, i had some streaks on the drivers side A-pillar that wouldn't wear down until 2 months of steady usage. when i went to apply a second coat of the aquapel, it did not bond with the first coat, and that's when i ran into issues. good luck getting the aquapel off the windshield as well. i have a thread detailing my issues with trying to have a second coat (5 months later) bonding with the first coat.

for what i want water to do on my windshield, i go with rain-x.

·
Carpe Diem
2,565 Posts
agreed - there is no need for special window product - any polymer sealant will make water fly off....rejex, nu finish, meg NXT2.0, blackfire crystal seal - same polymer you use on your paint...
+1

I use the BF crystal seal on my windows every time I seal the car. Works pretty well.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
I've used Rain-x for years and just started using Aquapel and love it. There is no need to layer these products, apply a new coat when the last coating has been removed...not sure how there are so many complaints...

I have also tried a variety of polymer sealants on windshields over the years and found that none of them work quite as well as Rain-x or Aquapel for their intended purpose, but they do an acceptable job and are easier to remove (again, not sure why this would be done) if needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts