Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Rain-X or Aquapel?

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  dietDrThunder 
#1 ·
I have been using Rain-X for a while. Since I purchased my Sport a few months ago I wanted to ask which is the best to use before applying anything?

#2 ·
I have used both, aquapel last much longer on the windshield. I still use rain-x on back and side glass as well as mirrors.

#5 ·
#7 ·
I have a friend that repairs windshields for a living and both products are creating issues with the resins sticking to the glass. If you get a star or chip get it fixed ASAP.

Only downside is the cost of Aquapel.
You can get Aquapel online for $3.00 an applicator.

#12 ·
i have used both products in the past. from my experience, rain-x doesn't last as long, but is much easier to apply. i personally use the 2 in 1 rain-x washer fluid year round. that seems to work best for me. rain-x is also much easier to remove, with some barkeeper's friend (thanks RTF!).

with the aquapel: yes, it lasts longer, and the chemical compound is different. when i first applied it, i had some streaks on the drivers side A-pillar that wouldn't wear down until 2 months of steady usage. when i went to apply a second coat of the aquapel, it did not bond with the first coat, and that's when i ran into issues. good luck getting the aquapel off the windshield as well. i have a thread detailing my issues with trying to have a second coat (5 months later) bonding with the first coat.

for what i want water to do on my windshield, i go with rain-x.

#15 ·
I've used Rain-x for years and just started using Aquapel and love it. There is no need to layer these products, apply a new coat when the last coating has been removed...not sure how there are so many complaints...

I have also tried a variety of polymer sealants on windshields over the years and found that none of them work quite as well as Rain-x or Aquapel for their intended purpose, but they do an acceptable job and are easier to remove (again, not sure why this would be done) if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.