Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to start doing my own oil changes on my 05. Are ramps the way to go and if so do they raise the car enough to place jack stands. Would I be better off with a floor jack instead and if so would appreciate recomendations.
Not handy but I'm trying. Thanks.

·
lookin' clean
671 Posts
rhino ramps are amazing (until you lower your car and the bumper hits the ramp before it even touches the tire). Jacks work too but it takes longer, if you do use a jack, get jackstands and get the entire front end up in the air.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have both. Ramps are good for simple oil and ATF changes. I use the jack and stands for brakes and tire rotation. I don't have any issues with my bumper hitting the floor using ramps.

·
aka 'The Gif King'
803 Posts
My car is pretty darn low. Low to where the shop needs low profile floor jacks to raise it. I don't have low profile floor jacks but there's a technique to get under the car. My house/garage is alittle higher than residential road.

When driving up the driving way, it's going up hill just until you hit the garage where it starts to get straight/flat surface. When driving up the driveway, drive up until your front wheels get on the flat surface, while the rest of your car is still in a uphill position.

This allows you go stick a floor jack or ramps underneath, and allow you to jack your car up or drive up the ramp.

·
Banned
578 Posts
For oil changes I use a jack on the front-center sub frame. I place my stands at the jack points on the side-front, but I dont place the weight of the car on them for oil changes. They are only placed to hold the car should the jack fail. If I'm under there doing anything more than pulling a drain plug, the stands get used properly.

I do not own ramps, but I've used them on other cars. I find them to be a pain and I'm pretty sure it would take me longer with ramps vs the jack. Storing them is also something to think about.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I find them to be a pain and I'm pretty sure it would take me longer with ramps vs the jack. Storing them is also something to think about.
Ditto. I always waste more time using ramps than I do just jacking the car up and putting it on stands. On top of which my M3's air dam always hit the ramps and pushed them away. The only thing I use ramps for now is my old John Deere STX-38. :D

A good low profile floorjack and a good pair of adjustable jackstands is far more useful.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ditto. I always waste more time using ramps than I do just jacking the car up and putting it on stands. On top of which my M3's air dam always hit the ramps and pushed them away. The only thing I use ramps for now is my old John Deere STX-38. :D

A good low profile floorjack and a good pair of adjustable jackstands is far more useful.

I always thought ramps were ineffective for RWD cars since the car is more likely to push the ramps?

Paladin: I use ramps for oil and transmission fluid changes and jacks for rotations and more complicated things. Drive the car up the ramps is easier for me and feels safer than jacks.

·
Super Moderator
6,847 Posts
The ramps will sometimes move even if there are rubber mounts at the bottom. Sometimes you go half way up the ramps and slip down due to low throttle so you step on the gas and you'll start doing a burnout on the ramps. If you go too fast then you risk flying over the ramps and end up lodging the ramps behind your front wheels. I've done the burnouts on the ramps then I tossed them into garbage.

Get yourself a quality low profile jack for around $200 and a set of jack stands. If you can't afford that, get yourself a package of regular height jack plus 2 jack stands from either Sears or Walmart for anywhere from $30 to $60. If your car is too low, then drive up onto 2 pieces of wood first then jack up the car from the front lower jack point, then place the jack stands on the side jack points, as I've done in the past with my lowered 6th gen Accord.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Ramps can fail.

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-283360.html

You can find other examples on the web.

I would use both.

And/Or you can make something like this.

Ramp on wheel, and jacks on the subframe as insurance.

P.S. Do you have a I4 or V6? The V6 filter and bolt is right off the right wheel, so you really don't have to get under the car.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I use Rhino ramps for my oil changes. Just carefully align them and easy throttle your way up theme.

I do not know what the other guys are talking about :dunno:, but they have rubber padding underneath, and I have never had any problems with them slipping. Its all about steady and easy throttle. Now the metal ramps are junk, and slid easily (also rust).

You will not be able to fit jack-stands underneath with the Rhino ramps; the ramp-end will be in the way.

If you are comfortable enough to move onto other maintenance, like transmission fluid changing and brakes, then you will want a set of jack stands and a jack. (you may want a level car to drain the transmission, the ramps are not ideal because they make the car uneven)

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
You will not be able to fit jack-stands underneath with the Rhino ramps; the ramp-end will be in the way.
Correct, you won't be able to rest the jackstands where the jack point are. What I mean by subframe is near the control arm. Anyhow, if one is not comfortable then aim one jackstand at the front tow hook. Again, it's for insurance, just in case.

OHHhhh :paranoid:! I've never heard of this. My Rhino ramps are going on 5+ years with no problems.
This is not a knock on rhinos or similar ramps. They are made out of recycled plastic (?). They can give out even if there is some kind of box construction. Paranoid? Maybe. People win the lottery every week. So you never know.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
is there a DIY (either video or pictures) available for changing oil in 7.5 gens? (not sure if 7 gens are the same). im probably going to do a oil change soon but probably will take it to my mechanic to change. depending on how much it is i might do it myself in the future and dont want to mess anything up. also where do you guys bring your old oil?

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
2,151 Posts
Not sure how jacking up and placing stands takes less time then driving up on a set of ramps? But I've been using Rhino Ramps and never had any issues.

As far as storage, they have a hole for mounting them on the wall. :thmsup:

·
Accelerating Fast
80 Posts
If you guys are like me, I tend to be under the 03 Accord so much I need to put it on a hydraulic lift!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
is there a DIY (either video or pictures) available for changing oil in 7.5 gens? (not sure if 7 gens are the same). im probably going to do a oil change soon but probably will take it to my mechanic to change. depending on how much it is i might do it myself in the future and dont want to mess anything up. also where do you guys bring your old oil?
Oil changes are 99% the same in all cars. Open hood and oil cap, check oil, jack up, unbolt drain plug, drain oil into pan. While it's draining, get a Ziploc bag, wrap it around the oil filter and unscrew (the entire unit just twists off, like a bottle cap). Watch out for the exhaust pipe, it'll be mere inches from your arm, and it's probably around 800 gazillion degrees Farenheit. Touch it and you're done. There will be a fair bit of oil that comes out when you take out the filter, hence the Ziploc bag, so you don't get an oil shower.

Clean drain plug if it's magnetic, put in new washer, plug'er up. Get new oil filter and washer, put a layer of old oil around the washer, screw it back in. Don't tighten it too much though.

Lower car, fill up with oil, and you're done!

Back to topic: I'd feel safer having something 100% solid holding my car up, so I'd suggest ramps. Easier to get the car up, and probably easier on the car as well. Not to mention cheaper than a jackstand and jacks.

·
Super Moderator
6,847 Posts
You are very limited to what you can do with a set of ramps. But with a quality jack and jack stands set, you can use it for other things such as changing and rotating tires, change brake pads and rotors. There is no way you can do that with a ramp and wheels/tires already on the ramp. Just think about that in your mind. If you are paranoid with jack stands, then have your jack pad jacked up all the way to one of the main sub frame points or control arms as a backup. I've never had any issue with my forged steel jack stands made by Craftsman. If your car's suspension sags over time or you get a new car with a lower ride height, then forget about getting up the ramps until you drive up onto a piece of wood first and hope that the ramps don't slide when you make the transition from wood to plastic ramp. My BMW 325xi can't even clear a set of ramps in the front because it's just that low from the factory.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you need to work with jackstands and not ramps, chances are you're working with the wheels off. Put the wheel under the car, so if, by small chance the jack stand collapses, the car will fall on the wheel, and not your face.

·
2007 EX-L V6 6MT Blk/Blk
79 Posts
I never raise my car up to do an at home oil change....granted, it's not lowered. I'm no skinny minnie either at a good 230lbs, but there's enough room to do it on the driveway. I have a set of ramps and a set of jack stands for when the need arises.

rolling up on a couple of boards or bricks works real nice on lower clearance cars.

Jacking up or even ramping up to do an oil change in my opinion is a waste of time, and it's usually messier - the usual round oilchange pan isn't big enough to catch the oil rushing out at the angle/height combination in the beginning and then also handle the dribbles near the end...so you gotta move it halfway through. Leave the car flat on the ground and it all goes in nice and clean.

but that's just me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts