Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Touring V6 sedan, Lunar Silver
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I consider taking the car to a stealership, would love some feedback/insights on this. 2017 Touring V6 sedan with 21,700 miles on it. Background:

During the first year of the pandemic I didn't drive as often as I should have, the result being that my OEM battery died in early December 2020, a week after the 36-month coverage ended. Replaced with a new 24F battery on-site from the AAA guy because my local dealership was still on limited access. So the battery is now 18 months old. Car is not garaged (sadly) and must live outside 24/7.

This past winter (2021-22) the car would simply randomly not start. Dead, no clicks, no attempt to turn over, just the dashboard LEDs and that's it. Usually on the colder days but not always. Sometimes DOA when started at home, other times I'd have done a few errands and then BAM, get into the car in the parking lot of wherever, and... DOA. This happened about a half dozen times in January and February. That's when I bought a NOCO Boost Plus and never got into the car without taking it with me.

At that time the battery was only a year old. Had it checked a couple times at the local Auto Zone and it was supposedly fine. Got into the habit of making sure everything (radio, AC, heat) was turned off before I turned the car off, so there'd be no extra load at startup. The random no-starts disappeared by the time March came around, so I assumed the issue had something to do with cold temps even though the battery was supposedly fine. But still always brought the NOCO along anyhow.

And a good thing too, because Monday midday (June 19th, about 80F outside) when I got into the car to head to a family BBQ.... dead again. Jumped it with the NOCO, drove for 20 mins and then left it idling in their driveway for another 20. Car started up fine for the ride home. Didn't drive it the next day; started up fine (though a tad hesitantly, I thought) this afternoon (70F outside), drove 3 miles to the local post office, parked, got back into car.. DOA again.

Obviously this is NOT strictly a cold-weather issue as I'd first assumed. Battery terminals are clean as a whistle. A fresh battery went into my keyfob about a month ago. This won't-start thing seems totally random. I've poked around the 9th gen forum looking for starter or ignition switch issue reports but not found much, and the ones that are mentioned seem to be more consistent rather than a "do you feel lucky?" scenario like this is. Any similar experiences or thoughts on likely causes?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds more like something is draining the battery.
Does your model have a cd-player, if so make sure there's no stuck cd...click..click...click
After turning off car, any mysterious clicking from behind the dash or engine bay (near fuse box)?
Would recommend double checking the grounding straps.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yea I work for the city of Greensboro. Oversee the fleet cars. We replace all or batteries with Napa Gold ones and get 5 years or more out of them. You just have a crappy battery in there.

Reactions: KW2004Accord

·
Registered
2017 Touring V6 sedan, Lunar Silver
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@OmegaSupreme , I am embarrassed to say that I don't currently own a voltmeter; I lent mine to my son during the pandemic and you have just reminded me that I haven't yet got it back. It's on my to-do list to buy one tomorrow.

@ckev70 , there hasn't been a CD in the car for at least a year, ever since I signed up for SiriusXM ;)

@KW2004Accord , I took the car to a local indie shop this afternoon and they load-tested the battery. Battery's fine, alternator is fine; no problem with the grounding straps. According to them, that leaves only two possibilities: starter, or a failing neutral safety switch. Because the issue is so unpredictably random and can't be reproduced on demand, their suggestion was this: The next time it happens, shift from Park to Neutral and see if the car starts (without jumping). If it does, then it's the neutral safety switch; if it doesn't, then it's investigate-the-starter time, ugh.

@Taz69 , I took a look at the NAPA site but they don't list a "NAPA Gold" currently. Their top of the line seems to be the Legend Premium in the 24F or 34R, at $215 and 36-mo replacement. Is that the one you meant?

And I have to ask, what's so special about the Odyssey Performance Series 24F that makes it worth $325? o_O (That one was also in the NAPA site results as 'guaranteed to fit' my vehicle.) Just curious...

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
@OmegaSupreme , I am embarrassed to say that I don't currently own a voltmeter; I lent mine to my son during the pandemic and you have just reminded me that I haven't yet got it back. It's on my to-do list to buy one tomorrow.

@ckev70 , there hasn't been a CD in the car for at least a year, ever since I signed up for SiriusXM ;)

@KW2004Accord , I took the car to a local indie shop this afternoon and they load-tested the battery. Battery's fine, alternator is fine; no problem with the grounding straps. According to them, that leaves only two possibilities: starter, or a failing neutral safety switch. Because the issue is so unpredictably random and can't be reproduced on demand, their suggestion was this: The next time it happens, shift from Park to Neutral and see if the car starts (without jumping). If it does, then it's the neutral safety switch; if it doesn't, then it's investigate-the-starter time, ugh.

@Taz69 , I took a look at the NAPA site but they don't list a "NAPA Gold" currently. Their top of the line seems to be the Legend Premium in the 24F or 34R, at $215 and 36-mo replacement. Is that the one you meant?

And I have to ask, what's so special about the Odyssey Performance Series 24F that makes it worth $325? o_O (That one was also in the NAPA site results as 'guaranteed to fit' my vehicle.) Just curious...
The Odyssey batteries are what the military uses even though the ones built for their consumer market are different. NAPA Legend series are made by Deka. If it turns out to be your starter, have the old one rebuilt.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yes sorry thats the one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts