Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought brand new 2019 accord LX. Just noticed few days ago a rattling noise between 20 an 40 miles while pressing slightly on the gas. The rattling sound is coming right behind the screen/radio, it looks like a center speaker on the dash.
I have read some threads of popping off the rubber strut bolt covers.
Anybody have any solutions? It's driving me nuts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removed the rubber strut. No difference. Taking to Honda soon. Car has only 600 miles. Hope they can fix and not give me the deer caught on head light look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Removed the rubber strut. No difference. Taking to Honda soon. Car has only 600 miles. Hope they can fix and not give me the deer caught on head light look.

I have the exact same problem with my 2019. Mine seems to show up at around 1.8K RPM only when gas pedal is pressed.
Dealer mechanic looked at it and couldn't recreate so I had to drive around with him. It turned out that the noise in the dashboard actually came from the passenger side even though I hear it coming from the center. He said the noise kind of behave weird inside the cars.

He unhook/detached the glove box and stick his hands inside and did something. He said some plastic is lose. The noise went away for a while and now it came back. I've been thinking about detaching glove box and see what's lose inside myself but haven't get a chance yet.

Please update if you get any luck with your dealer mechanic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the exact same problem with my 2019. Mine seems to show up at around 1.8K RPM only when gas pedal is pressed.

Dealer mechanic looked at it and couldn't recreate so I had to drive around with him. It turned out that the noise in the dashboard actually came from the passenger side even though I hear it coming from the center. He said the noise kind of behave weird inside the cars.

He unhook/detached the glove box and stick his hands inside and did something. He said some plastic is lose. The noise went away for a while and now it came back. I've been thinking about detaching glove box and see what's lose inside myself but haven't get a chance yet.

Please update if you get any luck with your dealer mechanic.
You and I have same problem. Mine also rattles when I press on gas. Going in Monday. Will update and see what they say. I even took video with sound. I know if they can't replicate the rattle they will not do nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It might be the heater box? I had a rattle that sounded like it came from the a/c area between 1-2 rpms and took it in many times to the dealer. They said there was a design issue with the heater box and said the fix was authorized by Honda. I haven't heard the noise since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got a 2019 EX and have the rattle. Took it in about a month ago and they tightened up some things and it was good for two days. Talked to the service manager and I went ahead documented everything for about two weeks - speed, rpm, temperature, and where I was so they could know the roads. Car has been there a week now and they think it’s the heater box. Should know more tomorrow and then I can update. The loaner has the rattle too - 2019 LX so they will fix that when I turn it back in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They said there was a design issue with the heater box and said the fix was authorized by Honda. I haven't heard the noise since.
Ame25, has your car been rattle-free during the month following the fix? Do you remember what the fix involved, and if the heater box part has been revised to address the cause of the rattle? I read on another thread that, as of several months ago, the heater box had not been revised, so the tech ended up putting foam tape or something similar on the new heater box to mute any rattles. Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate any TSB addressing this issue. (FYI, there a TSB dated April 23, 2019 for the 2018 Accord that provides a fix for the rear tray rattle that has been reported on other threads.)

I’ve got a 2019 EX and have the rattle. Took it in about a month ago and they tightened up some things and it was good for two days. Talked to the service manager and I went ahead documented everything for about two weeks - speed, rpm, temperature, and where I was so they could know the roads. Car has been there a week now and they think it’s the heater box. Should know more tomorrow and then I can update. The loaner has the rattle too - 2019 LX so they will fix that when I turn it back in.
Shawca77, I would be interested to hear more once you have an update from the dealer. I have a 2018 with the rattle, which appears to be originating from the heater box. (It usually occurs while accelerating around 1600 to 1900 RPM. It typically stops if I switch the mode selector from the dash vents to the floor vents.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
eb2019, I will definitely update what the fix is and if it sticks. It’s still at the dealership. I’m assuming I’ll see it again one of these days. :) I know it’s in good hands though. With the loaner, I’m going to try the vent trick you mentioned and see if that works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So far so good. Day 4 of no rattle. Car was at dealership for about a week and half. They took the entire dash apart and did something to the heater box (hvac system).

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was rattle free for about 7 months. The heater box was not revised. They put foam in the heater box to mute the rattle. Dealer said fix was approved by Honda. However now I have a rattle again that sounds the same but I don’t believe it’s from the heater box because changing the vent directions doesn’t stop it. It looks like it’s coming from the heater blend door acuator / the metal bracket touching it. When I touch the metal bracket when accelerating it stops the rattle. But I was curious if others tap on the metal bracket if it makes a noise after the engine has been warmed up or it’s just my car. I’ve attached a pic of it. I’ve taken it to the dealer however they have not been able to provide a solution. Still waiting on Honda.
F859839C-F202-4B08-8A00-E6E17DABCD99.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same rattle noise on my new 2019 Accord Sport purchased in April of 2019. Rattle noise was almost constant only when accelerating between 1500 and 2000 RPMs. The noise seemed to come from the middle of the dash in back of the lcd screen. Started after I put around 300 miles on the car. Took it dealership and it was the heater box. They took apart my dash and insulated the heater box. So far no more noise. But this is my 4th new Accord over the last 9 years and I have noticed a HUGE decrease in the overall quality in this 2019 Accord compared to all of my other previous Accords (2016, 2013 & 2010). Honda seems to be building its cars more and more cheaply lately as any internet search will show all of the recalls and complaints from customers. Honda obviously knows about this rattle noise on its 2018 and 2019 Accords yet has done nothing to fix it......shows you how they feel about their customer (they don’t care). Honda refuses to issue a recall or redesign the heater box. This will be my last Honda vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has
Does anyone have an update? I can’t stand the noise. I’ve had my new Accord for a month. I owned a Civic before and I’m so fed up that I’ve asked the dealer to go back to a Civic. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
LizF227, they fixed my heater box 3 weeks ago and I haven’t heard the rattle since then. So I’m not sure if it’s a temporary fix or not. I don’t blame you for being spooked now with your new Accord. But have you seen all the recalls and problems with the Civics? If not, research it online and you’ll quickly see the Civics and CR-Vs are having even more issues (and serious and dangerous issues too) than the Accords. Basically any new Honda model vehicle that you get now is going to have a lot of issues and concerns because the real problem is with Honda the company. Honda is making all of its vehicles very cheaply and poorly over the last few years and it seems to be getting worse. I live 15 miles away from the Honda Marysville plant in Ohio and I’ve talked to a friend who works there and let’s just say he has seen some changes going on there over the last few years and he no longer will drive a new Honda vehicle.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts