Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
LizF227, they fixed my heater box 3 weeks ago and I haven’t heard the rattle since then. So I’m not sure if it’s a temporary fix or not. I don’t blame you for being spooked now with your new Accord. But have you seen all the recalls and problems with the Civics? If not, research it online and you’ll quickly see the Civics and CR-Vs are having even more issues (and serious and dangerous issues too) than the Accords. Basically any new Honda model vehicle that you get now is going to have a lot of issues and concerns because the real problem is with Honda the company. Honda is making all of its vehicles very cheaply and poorly over the last few years and it seems to be getting worse. I live 15 miles away from the Honda Marysville plant in Ohio and I’ve talked to a friend who works there and let’s just say he has seen some changes going on there over the last few years and he no longer will drive a new Honda vehicle.
Wow, thank you for that insight! That does help me. I'm suppose to go test drive the Civic EXL tomorrow. I already owned a 2014 Civic EXL and loved it! I really wanted the upgrade to the Accord and then bummed with this noise. I only actually made 1 car payment. I'm hoping to relay the message about the heater box and see if they get it this time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was hearing rattle from my Accord, sounds like it is coming from the passenger side. Dealer first ignored it, later fixed some loose pieces two times. I was able to change the car with another one, paid some extra money. Tried 3 cars from their lot, each one had rattle. As the rattle was low and intermittent, if the AC is on and if you are not careful, you will miss it. The second accord (which did not have rattle during test drive) I got from the dealer, is now showing rattle. Now I'm living with the rattle. The rattle shows up when I take a turn and then keeps rattling sometimes. I don't want to take the risk of ripping off the dashboard. Is it possible, the rattle (for whatever reasons) may cause problem to other parts?
I brought this issue to the customer service, the agent was very rude and ignored the problem. This is my first Honda and will be the last one. I will sell it and go back to Toyota.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was hearing rattle from my Accord, sounds like it is coming from the passenger side. Dealer first ignored it, later fixed some loose pieces two times. I was able to change the car with another one, paid some extra money. Tried 3 cars from their lot, each one had rattle. As the rattle was low and intermittent, if the AC is on and if you are not careful, you will miss it. The second accord (which did not have rattle during test drive) I got from the dealer, is now showing rattle. Now I'm living with the rattle. The rattle shows up when I take a turn and then keeps rattling sometimes. I don't want to take the risk of ripping off the dashboard. Is it possible, the rattle (for whatever reasons) may cause problem to other parts?
I brought this issue to the customer service, the agent was very rude and ignored the problem. This is my first Honda and will be the last one. I will sell it and go back to Toyota.
Holy moly.. the same thing happened to me. I think the reps are trained to be rude! I told
Her about the problem her answer was.. well we are fixing it for free aren’t we? Wtf

The service team I have is excellent, but this issue is bullsmoly if it was any less of a noise no big deal.. but as loud as it is it’s annoying

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You traded your car in for a loss over a rattle? And it's so subtle that "if you are not careful, you will miss it"?

I'm starting to understand why the "agent" was rude -- they probably think you're being unreasonable. I had a Lexus with lots of rattles, so make sure you test drive that Toyota. And only drive it on new pavement.

Incidentally, if a rattle only shows up when you "take a turn", odds are good it isn't a rattle at all. Check your trunk, door pockets, center console and glove box, and see what's shifting.

Holy moly.. the same thing happened to me. I think the reps are trained to be rude! I told
Her about the problem her answer was.. well we are fixing it for free aren’t we? Wtf

The service team I have is excellent, but this issue is bullsmoly if it was any less of a noise no big deal.. but as loud as it is it’s annoying
We're missing some context here. You're saying you brought the car in, asked them to fix the rattle, and they immediately got indignant and told you that they're fixing it for free? Just a guess, but I bet you're leaving out the part where they documented the issue and agreed to fix it, and you kept complaining about it until they finally got annoyed with you.

I could be wrong, and I'm sure you'll clarify.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was rattle free for about 7 months. The heater box was not revised. They put foam in the heater box to mute the rattle. Dealer said fix was approved by Honda. However now I have a rattle again that sounds the same but I don’t believe it’s from the heater box because changing the vent directions doesn’t stop it. It looks like it’s coming from the heater blend door acuator / the metal bracket touching it. When I touch the metal bracket when accelerating it stops the rattle. But I was curious if others tap on the metal bracket if it makes a noise after the engine has been warmed up or it’s just my car. I’ve attached a pic of it. I’ve taken it to the dealer however they have not been able to provide a solution. Still waiting on Honda.
View attachment 513233
I would like to try this, could you point out the piece needed to tap?

You traded your car in for a loss over a rattle? And it's so subtle that "if you are not careful, you will miss it"?

The first accord had rattle, which I found next day of my purchase. During test drive, I missed it as the AC was on in full. After I heard the rattle first time, I knew the type of the noise and it was happening regularly. As the dealer was not able to fix it with several attempts and putting taps on several places, I asked them to replace it with another one. On my second selection, I test drove 3 cars, all had similar noise and brought one which did not show up rattle. But the rattle came back after few days.

I'm starting to understand why the "agent" was rude -- they probably think you're being unreasonable. I had a Lexus with lots of rattles, so make sure you test drive that Toyota. And only drive it on new pavement.

I asked the agent why a new car is showing some kind of problem which service dept. can not fix and even not willing to take apart dash to locate the noise and later invite more problems. The agent did not have a good answer, and the agent was trying to prove the buyer is unreasonable like you said.
I own a Toyota, never had rattling issue.

Incidentally, if a rattle only shows up when you "take a turn", odds are good it isn't a rattle at all. Check your trunk, door pockets, center console and glove box, and see what's shifting.

The rattle comes not only from turn but when I drive straight after some time of the engine start. The rattle is coming from the dashboard.

We're missing some context here. You're saying you brought the car in, asked them to fix the rattle, and they immediately got indignant and told you that they're fixing it for free? Just a guess, but I bet you're leaving out the part where they documented the issue and agreed to fix it, and you kept complaining about it until they finally got annoyed with you.

I could be wrong, and I'm sure you'll clarify.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Amex, are you saying that you're not allowing the service department to open up the dash to find the problem? Do you want it fixed, or not? Maybe it's a communication problem, but I'm not sure what your goal is by bringing it in for service with qualifiers that essentially keep them from addressing the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Amex, are you saying that you're not allowing the service department to open up the dash to find the problem? Do you want it fixed, or not? Maybe it's a communication problem, but I'm not sure what your goal is by bringing it in for service with qualifiers that essentially keep them from addressing the issue.
You are coming up with your own assumptions. The service dept. was not willing to open the dash as it may bring other problems. Later I found from google search that many buyers have similar issues with no fix and Honda is known for rattle. So I decided to change another accord to try my luck. If I would have an option, I would have kicked that accord out and buy a different brand. Search on google and youtube, the rattle words go more with Honda than other brands. Frustrating, Honda does not have a solution on it and everyday I hear that noise and hate it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You are coming up with your own assumptions. The service dept. was not willing to open the dash as it may bring other problems. Later I found from google search that many buyers have similar issues with no fix and Honda is known for rattle. So I decided to change another accord to try my luck. If I would have an option, I would have kicked that accord out and buy a different brand. Search on google and youtube, the rattle words go more with Honda than other brands. Frustrating, Honda does not have a solution on it and everyday I hear that noise and hate it.
I'm putting myself in the dealer's shoes here. You gave them so much grief over a rattle that they let you trade out your car for a new one. Now you're showing up giving them more grief about the same rattle that is supposedly in every Accord that exists (except mine, apparently). I'm guessing they're ready to write you off and let someone else deal with you.

More assumptions here, so get ready -- I'd be willing to bet they can't hear the rattle on the new car, and they don't want to rip the dash open and go on a hunting expedition when it's probably your sunglasses in the holder making the noise.

Good luck -- try a different dealer, I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm putting myself in the dealer's shoes here. You gave them so much grief over a rattle that they let you trade out your car for a new one. Now you're showing up giving them more grief about the same rattle that is supposedly in every Accord that exists (except mine, apparently). I'm guessing they're ready to write you off and let someone else deal with you.

More assumptions here, so get ready -- I'd be willing to bet they can't hear the rattle on the new car, and they don't want to rip the dash open and go on a hunting expedition when it's probably your sunglasses in the holder making the noise.

Good luck -- try a different dealer, I guess.
Consumer has an expectation when they buy a new car - at least to avoid frequent visits to service. The rattle with Accord is a known issue. Either Honda has to correct this from the factory or provide solutions to dealers so that dealers can fix it confidently rather bouncing the customers back and forth and making customers frustrated. No dealer wants to frustrate their buyers in turn loosing potential buyers as well. People are here to find/try fix that worked for some others, so that they will not regret for their money spent. Hope this easy math is understandable :).

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2018 Accord Touring 2.0 has developed yet another issue. This time it’s a rattle coming from what seems like it’s behind the glovebox. It’s constant. And worse now that’s it’s cold out. Dealer has advised that it needs to replace the heater sub box. Anyone had this done?

I don’t understand how one car could have this many problems. Especially for Honda.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update...
So this is an on going problem. From 0-20 miles I get a rattle and on occasion around 40 miles while accelerating. It's on the dash behind radio display. Took it to 2 different dealers and could not fix. They put foam in several places and still rattles. They drive it 1 time and say it's fixed.
Took to my mechanic and he said the problem is in the inner center console. The tabs are broken from factory. He took it apart and said if honda does that and replace it you will not have a problem. How do I convince the dealer to this? Is anyone having rattles in that area? Its inconsistent but consistent. And its driving me crazy. I have warranty that's why I didn't want to pay my mechanic to fix.
Now here is the strange part. They gave me a 2019 loaner accord when in service and guess what? Did the same exact thing. So I know this could be something that could have some kind of a bulletin but not enough people reporting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update...
So this is an on going problem. From 0-20 miles I get a rattle and on occasion around 40 miles while accelerating. It's on the dash behind radio display. Took it to 2 different dealers and could not fix. They put foam in several places and still rattles. They drive it 1 time and say it's fixed.
Took to my mechanic and he said the problem is in the inner center console. The tabs are broken from factory. He took it apart and said if honda does that and replace it you will not have a problem. How do I convince the dealer to this? Is anyone having rattles in that area? Its inconsistent but consistent. And its driving me crazy. I have warranty that's why I didn't want to pay my mechanic to fix.
Now here is the strange part. They gave me a 2019 loaner accord when in service and guess what? Did the same exact thing. So I know this could be something that could have some kind of a bulletin but not enough people reporting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I get a weird noise, from cold engine start, it rattles few seconds as I press on gas, then also continues while driving next 3-4 mins if I press gas slowly. Once the engine warms up, the noise is gone. The noise is obvious when I steer wheel to right. Mine is 2019 accord.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update. They kept the car for 2.5 days. Replaced the heater box sub assembly and the glove box since they said it was cracked. Noise happened the next day.

Appears that the part used to repair the noise was not redesigned. Now I either have to keep bringing it back or live with it. Honda quality and customer service ?

I was a very long time Acura/Honda loyal customer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 2018 just started the rattle last week. It's pretty annoying. I was able to get some video to possibly help the dealer with diagnosis.

·
Registered
758 Posts
For those with the rattle are you trying the fix mentioned in the video???? I to have the rattle on cold starts when under very low throttle around 1500 to 2000 rpms. I was able to fix the rattle by cycling through the modes quickly just like the video explained. It’s been a good month since I last heard the rattle and while I know this is not a permanent fix it seems easy enough do once a month during the winter to quickly fix the rattle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For those with the rattle are you trying the fix mentioned in the video???? I to have the rattle on cold starts when under very low throttle around 1500 to 2000 rpms. I was able to fix the rattle by cycling through the modes quickly just like the video explained. It’s been a good month since I last heard the rattle and while I know this is not a permanent fix it seems easy enough do once a month during the winter to quickly fix the rattle.
Mine makes the noise when very hot out. So the heater box makes noise hot and cold. Great design!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My heater box is replaced, no rattle which I used to get while accelerating, but now getting another type of rattle which is mild and continuous when driving on bumpy road. I find the noise is loud when recording from the ph charging area. I guess that location is close to heater box and is coming from the new heater box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this vibration noise a month after I got my 2019 Honda Accord LX lease right around the radio screen on my dashboard when I accelerate over 1500 rpms. It got tired of it so took it to the dealer who leased the car to me on my first oil change and they told me it was a heater box issue and they have to take the dash apart to fix it with a replacement one. It is a five hour job for them under warranty and I told them I was worried about the fallout of taking the dashboard apart and they stated they can do it once without issues. This is a lease car, I really like the Accord but this issue is really not excusable for a new car from Honda. The way I look at it, it's a lease car and it will be their problem after the lease if they cannot fix it correctly, it is a definite issue with this Accord generation and it is not a safety issue so there is no official recall to fix it from Honda. If Honda wants to keep its customers they better fix the problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
With the shelter in place order in California, I wanted to give myself a project this weekend to see if I can finally get rid of the annoying heater core rattle that comes on during acceleration from 1600-1800 rpm.

Since many parts are shared across Honda vehicles, I did some searching to see if any other Honda vehicles also suffer the same issue. Lo and behold, a lot of people have complaint about the same issue with their current gen civic. A few owners have also traced the issue to the heater core. Unfortunately, there is not a Honda TSB for this fix for the civic. The suggested fix on the civic forum is to add some foam tape inside the heater core by accessing the heater core from the passenger footwell (by removing the glovebox and passenger footwell air duct): Mystery dash rattle driving me crazy. However, on the Accord, there is no way to remove the footwell air duct in order to access the heater core without removing the passenger knee airbag (not available on the civic), which is the one thing I don't want to mess with.

Some Honda CR-V owners have also complained about a dash rattle that only happens around 1000 rpm. There is an official Honda TSB for this issue: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10115711-9999.pdf. Looks like the issue is due to the heater core hoses touching together at specific rpms. The fix is a clip that stops the hoses from touching. On the Accord the heater core hoses can be found around the same place illustrated in the TSB (top of the firewall towards the middle). To me it looks like Honda moved the hoses further apart to fix this issue. To make absolutely sure that the rattle in my Accord is not caused by this, I put some foam tape between the hoses. As expected, the rattle was still there on a short drive around the block I did after putting in the tape.

I also stumbled across a really poor quality screenshot of what looks like to be a TSB from Honda China for the Accord for the heater core rattle. The TSB calls for inserting a piece of cloth into the gap boxed in the 3rd picture and cover the area with foil tape. This fix requires accessing the heating core from the driver's footwell by removing the driver's footwell air duct, which is held down by a screw on the bottom and a clip on top. It took some arm and hand gymnastics to free the footwell air duct free thanks to the driver's knee airbag. From the picture in the TSB, it doesn't look like the Chinese Accord have the knee airbags. After removing the dir duct, I put some foam tape following the TSB. I could feel a bit of play between the two pieces of plastic when adding the foam tape, so it's likely that this is indeed the source of the rattle. Before putting in the tape, I made sure that the tape won't interfere with normal functioning of flap inside the heater core that divide air to the upper/lower/window vents.

After putting everything back together, I took a short drive and tried to keep the engine rpm around 1500-1800 and did not hear any rattle. Fingers crossed that the rattle is fixed for good. I'll report back if the rattle comes back.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts