Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Could you give the link to this TSB? I assume the 3rd picture is with the cover off. The two pieces of plastic you refer to, are they part of the door flap mechanism? It is hard to make out from the pictures what is going on.

My car only makes that noise when out side on hot days. Never made the noise all winter.

Keep us posted of this fixes the permanently.

·
Registered
108 Posts
After putting everything back together, I took a short drive and tried to keep the engine rpm around 1500-1800 and did not hear any rattle. Fingers crossed that the rattle is fixed for good. I'll report back if the rattle comes back.
Can you confirm that the rattle has or hasn't returned? I've been living with this rattle myself, waiting for a true fix.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can you confirm that the rattle has or hasn't returned? I've been living with this rattle myself, waiting for a true fix.
Unfortunately, the rattle returned after a couple drives. Although it doesn’t occur as frequently as before and sound muted. my guess is the rattle doesn’t just come from one place in the heater core and I’ve only found one. Or I didn’t add enough foam tape to completely get rid of the play between the 2 plastic pieces.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Could you give the link to this TSB? I assume the 3rd picture is with the cover off. The two pieces of plastic you refer to, are they part of the door flap mechanism? It is hard to make out from the pictures what is going on.

My car only makes that noise when out side on hot days. Never made the noise all winter.

Keep us posted of this fixes the permanently.
I don’t have a link to the TSB. The poor quality screenshot is what I found.

The 3rd picture is with the drivers footwell vent removed. The 2 pieces of plastic seem to be part of the heater core housing, not part of the door flat mechanism.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don’t have a link to the TSB. The poor quality screenshot is what I found.

The 3rd picture is with the drivers footwell vent removed. The 2 pieces of plastic seem to be part of the heater core housing, not part of the door flat mechanism.
What is the link to the screenshot?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unfortunately, the rattle returned after a couple drives. Although it doesn’t occur as frequently as before and sound muted. my guess is the rattle doesn’t just come from one place in the heater core and I’ve only found one. Or I didn’t add enough foam tape to completely get rid of the play between the 2 plastic pieces.
Okay. Knock on wood I think I fixed the rattle for good this time. I took a closer look at the inside of the heater core after removing the driver's side footwell air vent and realized the plastic piece in question here still had some play with the felt tape only applied to the outer edge (circled in red). Jamming more felt tape to the inner edge (circled in green) of the plastic piece did the trick. This explains why the tone of the rattle changed after my first attempt to fix this. It's been almost a week and I haven't heard any rattle. Assume it's fixed for good if I don't report back.

·
Registered
108 Posts
LAhondaFan, it's 10 days since your last post. I'm hoping you're still all good with the rattle, yeah? Reason I ask to confirm is that I'm going to follow your fix as best as I can if that's the case.

·
Registered
108 Posts
LAhondaFan, it's 10 days since your last post. I'm hoping you're still all good with the rattle, yeah? Reason I ask to confirm is that I'm going to follow your fix as best as I can if that's the case.
Yup, still no rattle. I've done around 200 miles of mixed city/highway driving with the AC on and off since the fix and haven't heard it once.

How wide of felt tape did you use?
This is the felt tape I used. You only need a little. I cut the tape into half-inch pieces and jammed 2-3 pieces into each side and put a few more pieces on top. Just be careful don't drop the tape inside the heater core. I didn't, and I'm not sure how you would empty it out without removing the whole thing.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts