Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
NOOB
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re:Heater smell...

Hello,

I have a 2012 Accord Coupe EX with 12,000 km (7,500 miles) so clearly I don't drive it that much!

Anyways, deep in the Canadian winter now, when I turn on the heater to level 3 at setting 24 degrees Celsius (75 degrees Fahrenheit), it often smells burnt for about 15 minutes. It does not smell at level 1, only when I turn it up to 3.

I haven't looked into the engine but I doubt this is a gasket or oil leak issue for a newish engine. Is this an antifreeze/coolant issue? How do I check for this? I am still under warranty, should I just take it to Honda?

Thanks for your help, appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like dust on the heater core making a burning smell as it burns away. Check the condition of the cabin filter and replace if needed.

·
NOOB
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SHOtime2511. I replaced the cabin air filter and the smell is gone!

Dealership wanted to charge $75 for installation, I said **** it. It was super easy to replace, just squeeze and remove glovebox, pull out filter that lies behind it, and a FRAM CF10134 filter will do the trick. Just have to make sure you put the filter in right-side up, which is labeled on the side (this is for 8th gen Accord).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts