Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know the realiability of hondas f23a1 engine because my head gasket is leaking and smokes alot when I first start it up. the engine has 303k and I would rather just pay $500 and change the gasket vs $900 for new engine. But I want to know some high mileage stories about the life of these cars and if its worth changing out or just scrap the car. because I dont want to fix it and then a piston ring get off set and start using a quart of oil every 200 miles.

·
Registered
379 Posts
every car is different and depends on maintenance. How often have you changed the oil / filter, air filter, etc.

You could probably gauge how healthy your rings are by how much oil it consumes.. but then again, your bearings have some wear to them.

Does that $500 include machining the head and adjusting the valves?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$500 is just labor I actually work for a shop myself so I know who would do it and all but its about $150 for the machining the head I already adjusted the valves. but I feel like the car will last alot longer so i will prolly go ahead and do it. I actually bought the car with 301k a month ago and i put 2k on it already and it is a good car my vtech solenoid was pumping out about a quart every 50 miles so i just fixed that and havent really noticed it loosing any oil after that but its only been about 600 miles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts