Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 Accord Sport, 54,000 miles. I have just started to hear a chirping sound coming from what seems to be the right rear wheel. I hear it best at speeds around 35mph. When I step on the brake the sound goes away. The sound is intermittent. When I pull up on the emergency brake handle the sound goes away which tells me it is the rear brakes. Someone sitting in the back seat tells me the chirping is on the right side. After driving, I get out of the car and touch all four brake rotors. Three of them are very hot to the touch which would be normal. The rotor on the rear left side is cool to the touch. Interesting that the chirping is coming from the opposite side. It seems to me that the caliper is frozen in the unapplied position on the rear left. At 54,000 miles the brakes appear to be less than 1/2 worn. May be that the caliper piston frozen in its bore? Is there anything I can do to further troubleshoot this? Should I check to see if the caliper is frozen on its guide pins? If not frozen on guide pins, should I take the caliper off the mounting bracket and try to rotate the caliper piston out or in to see if that is the cause? In any event, should I just replace the caliper? The calipers are about $245 each. I rather not replace both of the rear ones due to cost. I would replace both rotors and get new pads along with the rear left caliper. This will cost me about $430 using Honda OEM parts. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
12,775 Posts
Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? Thanks in advance.
Yes, people have experienced brakes in need of servicing.

Calipers are simple devices and easy to replace- I am not sure why you want to stick with a remanufactured or new brake caliper from a Honda dealer for $245. You can get a rebuilt from Advance Auto or Autozone for perhaps $60.

Maybe they just need servicing?

Only one way to find out- disassemble and look at them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts