Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 weeks ago I left the car parked with parking brake engaged for a week. When I came back and drove it, I heard a clunk when the car started moving. Seems like the rear pads were rusted agiant the rotor and a small chunk of pad material was taken off.

So, I ended up with what was in the picture below. The outer edge of the rotor does not get touched by the pads I guesss so that rust continue build up.

Need some advice on how to deal with this? I am currently thinking abt changing the pads before it gets too late so that the rotor needs to be turned/replaced.

Attachments

·
HK Moderator
13,920 Posts
You don't have your location listed in your info, so I can't determine how climate has affected your ride. You don't have your car info listed, no model, no mileage, etc....

But chunks of pad material don't break off.

My guess- and it is a guess because of lack of info, is that you live in a climate with road salt, you drive a 2013 with 40,000 miles, and the slider pin lubrication is wearing off. Leaving the parking brake on (have you used it before?) for a week meant that the pads did not go back to their position, and is at an angle to your rotors.

You just may need to have the brakes serviced (lube). You may not need new pads- and certainly not new rotors.

Again, just a guess with minimal info provided.

·
2015 EX-L, V6/Navi CBP
140 Posts
I have yet to see a parking brake system that use disc pad. Typical rear parking brake system use a pair of brake shoe and has nothing to do with the rotor surface. What you see is normal rust build up on rotor when it get wet and car was not used for long period of time. The rear rotors takes time to restore because the front brakes are doing most of the stopping. Just use the car and you'll be surprised, rotor will shine again as new.

My car has 3.6k in the odo but the rear rotors still looks unused. OEM rotor machine works are still clearly visible. Hard to tell if the car's rear brake system is really working. But I'm trying to avoid braking hard whenever possible to avoid wrap rotors.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the quick reply. It is a 2013 model with around 20K miles on it. Parking brake is used quite often. I live in PA. I think get the brake lubed would probably help. Might just do this myself at home!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are right! But the rust was there for more than 3 weeks. It might just be the pads needs lubrication to go back to its original postion as mentioned by the first reply!

·
Registered
103 Posts
You could try sanding the pad flat with a sander. That would be the cheapest if you had time to experiment.

I have yet to see a parking brake system that use disc pad. Typical rear parking brake system use a pair of brake shoe and has nothing to do with the rotor surface. What you see is normal rust build up on rotor when it get wet and car was not used for long period of time. The rear rotors takes time to restore because the front brakes are doing most of the stopping. Just use the car and you'll be surprised, rotor will shine again as new.

My car has 3.6k in the odo but the rear rotors still looks unused. OEM rotor machine works are still clearly visible. Hard to tell if the car's rear brake system is really working. But I'm trying to avoid braking hard whenever possible to avoid wrap rotors.

You'd be surprised how many cars use the disc pads for the parking brake too. The caliper piston twists as it's pushed out. I don't know about all Hondas, but I know the 7th and 8th gen accords have the park brake built in, and i'd think the 9th would be the same. It's not just Honda either, other brands are this way too. Most trucks and suvs use parking brake shoes inside the rotor like you mentioned.

·
HK Moderator
13,920 Posts
OP: Road salt will attack brakes. The slider pins may need to be cleaned and re-lubed. If I don't service my rear brakes every two years or less, I will get sticky rear calipers and have symptoms as you have pictured- I live in road salt hell (Chicago). As "koolit" mentioned, your rear brakes don't see nearly the action that your front brakes see. If your car is 2.5 years old now, it may need cleaning and re-lubing. They can measure the thickness of your pads to see if they are still within serviceable range or not.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
I have yet to see a parking brake system that use disc pad. Typical rear parking brake system use a pair of brake shoe and has nothing to do with the rotor surface.
You need to get out more! There are tons of cars that use the disc pads as a parking brake. Every Honda I have worked on uses this approach. It is much rarer to find a separate drum brake assembly for the parking brake.

And for the OP - make sure your slider pins are lubricated then just drive it and don't worry about it - what you have there is very typical.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a plan. I will just find a weekend to lube the brakes myself. Need to rotate my tires soon, maye sense to do it together when the tires come off!

·
2015 EX-L, V6/Navi CBP
140 Posts
You'd be surprised how many cars use the disc pads for the parking brake too. The caliper piston twists as it's pushed out. I don't know about all Hondas, but I know the 7th and 8th gen accords use have the park brake built in, and i'd think the 9th would be the same. It's not just Honda either, other brands are this way too. Most trucks and suvs use parking brake shoes inside the rotor like you mentioned.
Didn't realize I'm outdated. I am a DIY type but never pay attention to the parking brake technology since way back then.

You need to get out more! There are tons of cars that use the disc pads as a parking brake. Every Honda I have worked on uses this approach. It is much rarer to find a separate drum brake assembly for the parking brake.
Yeah you're right! My busy life is eating me alive:0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts