Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster, hope this is in the appropriate subforum.

In any case, I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not to repair this ding on my 9th gen Accord rear bumper. Just to give some background I live in the Boston area but never driven up here until recently getting this car. This dent/crack just showed up one day (I use busy lots both at home and work, so not even sure exactly where it occurred). I have a $500 deductible if I go through insurance. I was told by someone that if you let a bumper crack go unrepaired it can rust/worsen in the winter but I wanted to ask around. I don't really mind the cosmetic loss if it stays this small (heck I could even cover it with a bumper sticker or something).

Does anybody have any thoughts as to whether this is worth repairing or not?

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
First time poster, hope this is in the appropriate subforum.

In any case, I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not to repair this ding on my 9th gen Accord rear bumper. Just to give some background I live in the Boston area but never driven up here until recently getting this car. This dent/crack just showed up one day (I use busy lots both at home and work, so not even sure exactly where it occurred). I have a $500 deductible if I go through insurance. I was told by someone that if you let a bumper crack go unrepaired it can rust/worsen in the winter but I wanted to ask around. I don't really mind the cosmetic loss if it stays this small (heck I could even cover it with a bumper sticker or something).

Does anybody have any thoughts as to whether this is worth repairing or not?
The bumper is plastic so it will not rust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bumper is plastic so it will not rust.
Thanks for the quick response -- but I noticed there is something metal semi-protruding behind the crack. I think it might be something to do with the silver bar under the bumper? Will that rust?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the quick response -- but I noticed there is something metal semi-protruding behind the crack. I think it might be something to do with the silver bar under the bumper? Will that rust?
thats the back frame of the car, its aluminum so it wont rust either... try taking it to a local body shop and get it quoted. they might give you a price lower than your deductible.

·
No PRND
583 Posts
If it bothers your then get it fixed but leaving it as-is will not cause further harm to your car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OP, the damage is only cosmetic. Fixing it will do nothing to improve the life of your vehicle or its parts.

The only negative effects to you would be reduced resale value, and having to look at that ding.

Personally, for the first 4-5 years of owning a brand new vehicle, I would get something cosmetic like that fixed. After 4-5 years I let the cosmetic stuff go, and only fix mechanical issues, or issues that will decrease the serviceable life of my car, and drive the car until it dies.

·
4,637 Posts
Mobile repair guy should fix it around $100. Used car dealers use them all the time. Very little over head so the price is decent for small jobs like this. At the toyota dealer here the guy works on a few cars at a time. And this dealer has their own body shop but they send this kind of work out. Check Craigslist and call up the used car places to see who they recommend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts