Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents:

You're probably familiar with the Accord's rear discs with the integral parking brake, where a cable pulls a lever which somehow pokes the piston and applies the brake.

On my left rear caliper the parking lever arm snaps right back under the force of the coil spring present.

However, on my right rear caliper the parking lever is a bit stuck causing slack in the cable and sometimes keeps the brake lightly applied.

I managed to free it up by pulling and pushing the lever on the caliper a hundred times.

But what lubricates the shaft that this caliper lever rotates? Is it lubricated by brake fluid? Or do I disassemble the caliper and oil the shaft or grease the shaft?

I want to repair rather than replace the caliper.

·
Elvira - the car
3,538 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
The adjustment does not do anything whatsoever, I've tried. You have contaminants within the piston and that's why it's getting stuck. You need to replace the caliper.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Miker: The thread you provided seems to mention the same problem as I have, but does not seem to address the specifics of the arm and its shaft.

t-rd: The piston is quite free to rotate while treading it back into the caliper. I think the shaft is binding. When I pull back the shaft's arm, the brake releases completely.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,153 Posts
The adjustment does not do anything whatsoever, I've tried. You have contaminants within the piston and that's why it's getting stuck. You need to replace the caliper.
I am facing parking brake issue after replacing both rear calipers. The rear calipers should be self adjusting. My parking brake is 6 clicks, but would not hold the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts