Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a 2016 Accord EX-L V6 6spd auto. Was in a simple accident about a month ago. Car ran a stop sign in a parking lot and hit the passenger side rear quarter panel. The shop is finishing up and went to do an alignment. BOTH rear tires have a camber with the top leaning inward. I don't have the specifics on numbers yet since i dont have the car. The odd part is the driver side was untouched from the accident. Is there a design issue/feature that makes the rear end have a camber? Or are we looking at more structural type of issues. Thanks for all any input.

Justin

·
^^vv<><>BA
11,931 Posts
Car comes from the factory with a bit of negative camber. It's done to help with cornering grip.

Since you didn't provide alignment numbers we don't know if your camber is within range or not.

Factory Alignment Specs:

Front:
OE Camber = -0.3 deg (+/-0.5 deg)
OE Caster = 3.9 deg (+/-0.5 deg)
OE Toe = 0.0 deg (+/-0.3 deg)

Rear:
OE Camber = -1.3 deg (+/-0.5 deg)
OE Toe = 0.3 deg. (+/-0.3 deg)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I'm waiting on the shop's numbers right now. It was a body shop that did the main work and sent to a dealership to do the suspension work and alignment. Thankfully it's my wife's cousin that works at the dealership so i know things are done right. The body shop didnt have the exact numbers but he said they were just outside of acceptable range. Not quite sure how far "just outside" actually is though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With this model, rear camber can be outside the recommended range (too negative-top of the tire leaning inward too much). The problem is that with the stock suspension camber is not adjustable. One fix is to install a camber kit. Some kits are single-link in that only one link is replaced with an adjustable arm. Cars that are being lowered develop even more negative camber and in that case 3-link kits can be used to return camber to normal range.
If you are keeping the rest of the suspension stock and not lowering the car, a single link is probably enough. Once it's installed, the car needs to be realigned by a good alignment shop since changing stuff out changes all alignment parameters.
If your tires aren't wearing prematurely and you don't carry a lot of people or weight in the car, you could also just continue to drive it and see if any tire wear problems happen.

Take care,
Ryan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @MackDawg. It's usually just my wife and I or maybe our friends as well but i'd say 85% of driving, it's just her. and she's 110lbs soaking wet. No plans on lowering it and keeping it all stock. The tires are kinda low on tread and will be replaced next year. Definitely will keep an eye on tread wear patterns over the next 6 months or so.

Attached are the results from the alignment. Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey,
So it looks like your car has slightly too-negative rear camber. You mentioned that your tires were getting low on tread, so if there were wear problems caused by the excessive negative camber I would think it would have shown by now. Not sure how many miles you have on those tires. I was alerted to the problems with my car by the roaring noise from rear end on the highway. If you haven't had noise or wear problems, you may be able to leave everything alone, or just use a single lower-arm camber kit if you want it in-spec.
Since the greatest deviation from normal specs is on passenger side where you were hit, make sure the shop checks for any bent links, etc that could have resulted from the accident.

Good luck,
Ryan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They checked everything over. Just picked up the car today. The only suspension components that needed replaced were the passenger rear wheel bearing and passenger rear control arm. Rear tires (well all the tires since they have been through rotations) are all evenly worn. We bought the car with roughly 32k and currently has 48k with same set of tires from purchase. I'm going to chalk this one as it's going to be ok unless something rears it's ugly head down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts